Faction Portrait GOLD MINE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faction Portrait GOLD MINE!

...Or any page from when they started running covers in color in the late '30s to when they stopped framing the painting in a box in the middle of the cover sometime in the '50s. The level of realism varies from cover to cover, but some of them are perfect.

-Especially if you're doing a WWII mod. The 40's were the golden age for the portrait covers, and they featured every general you ever heard of, and lots you ain't- also kings, presidents -leaders by the bushel looking important- and celebrities.

I just discovered this site yesterday, and I've already used one in a faction .pcx and am using another tomrrow.
    AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
    JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

I looked thru several pages, and there really are some good pics there!

Some of the ones that jump out at me are Nehru, Cornell (Gaian), Morgenthau (a natural Morganite pic if I ever saw one!), Fleming (Uni), and Marian Anderson (another possible Gaian).

If you want I can look thru further this evening and give some feedback as to pics I think would look good, or you can pick and choose as you wish, and we can go from there.

D

Comment

Guidance is good. I reserve the right to reject pictures if I think they'll need too much work, but have at me.

If you wanted to provide a list with which page which pick is on, that would be great.

My google fu gets tired. I was really glad to spot Chiang Kia-shak and Tse-veng Soong. I'd been wondering how to search "Chinese guy". I haven't thought beyond that at all, So your input would certainly ad hours to my life.

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Buster's Uncle View Post
        Guidance is good. I reserve the right to reject pictures if I think they'll need too much work, but have at me.

If you wanted to provide a list with which page which pick is on, that would be great.
        I've looked over about ten pages at the website, and the following are the pics that jump out at me:

Page 18
        Kaufman
        Sandborg

Page 21
        Nehru
        Cornell
        Morgenthau (Morganite)
        Pius 12th
        Runstedt

Page 22
        Gargani

Page 23
        Runstedt
        Fleming (Uni)

Page 24
        Dempsey (PK)

Page 25
        Patel (PK)

Page 26
        Cripps
        Kerr (Gaian)
        Ball (Drone)
        Togliatti (Uni)

Page 27
        Hubble (Uni)
        Hussein (PK)
        Simmons (Gaian)
        Ben-Gurien (Uni)

I'd say just paste the faces you like over an existing factional leaderhead photo, and then I can fill in any factional text changes from there (Hubble immediately comes to mind for the Uni's, especially if I can link the "what goes up better doggon well stay up" quote to him). Or if you've got some other leadhead photos feel free to add them as well.
        I have to go OOT this coming weekend, but I should have something in place by the following weekend as far as EotB is concerned. FYI.

D

Comment

Originally posted by Darsnan View Post
          Morgenthau (a natural Morganite pic if I ever saw one!)
          Gee, it's a subtle one.

SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Eh, you're right, of course, but be sure to check out what I did with it.

No pasarán

Comment

A painter's site that, unusually, doesn't have make you jump through hoops to copy the pictures, and I saw no watermarks. Mr. Greene paints with the right degree of realism.

The first is another great source for old white guys in suits, though I saved the portrait of Elenor Roosevelt. I think the second is the most useful- regular folk, many of whom aren't wearing anything that screams "Now! Today! 2009!" The auction page has tons of good heads in every shot. The last has several nice shots of women and if I ever do another alternate Drones, I'm going to consider the gentleman painted in profile down in the corner.

No hippies, though...

No pasarán

Comment

The political analyst down at the bottom of this page is quite good IMO.

The last has several nice shots of women and if I ever do another alternate Drones, I'm going to consider the gentleman painted in profile down in the corner..
                I'm not seeing that. The last link has a bunch of subway paintings down at the bottom.

D

Comment

Originally posted by Darsnan View Post
                  The political analyst down at the bottom of this page is quite good IMO.
                  Oh, for sure. Some sort of uniform that doesn't look like any sort I've ever seen, the shaved head, the vaguely ethnic look- we have to use him somewhere. I didn't mention every shot I'd saved, but this is one of them.

...If we ever need a little girl, Emily at the bottom is very promising. I saved the brother in black, too.

I'm not seeing that. The last link has a bunch of subway paintings down at the bottom.
                  Yep, and several have people in them. I kinda love the mosaic-type-tile background, too. Crop some of these so it doesn't say "Times Square", or whatever, behind them, and ...

No pasarán

Comment

And look at this. A detail from something on the auction page at 100%, cropped and ready to scan line and drop in to the appropriate pcx as- is.

Nothing about it that says not-the-future.
                    Attached Files

No pasarán

Comment

Nice, that site is still up.

Comment

Working...
                      X