My Custom Factions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Custom Factions

One new, seven old (w/ extensive graphic upgrades), one semi-new -and counting. Downloadable zipped faction files at the bottom. Posted for your approval at:
    Alpha Centauri, SMAC, Alien Crossfire, SMACX, Planetary Pack, Sid Meier, Sid Meier's, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire, Sid Meier's Civil War Collection, Sid Mier, Sid Meyer, Sid Maier, Firaxis, Firaxis Games, EA, Electronic Arts, Strategy Gaming, Turn-Based, Civ, Civilization, Space, Xenofungus, Mindworms, Chiron, Unity, Planet, Miriam, Lal, Morgan, Deidre, Santiago, Zakharov, SMACX, GOG, AC forum, Alpha Centauri Forum, Alien Crossfire forum, modding, multiplayer, Unit workshop, custom factions, faction leaders, SMACX forum, how-to, tutorials, art modding, AARs, after action reports, fanfiction, writing, SMACX archives, Civ 6, Civilization 6, news, info, conversation, screenshots, smilies, emoticon, Civilization VI, strategy, patches, bugs, bug patches, scient, yitzi, 4x gaming, tbs gaming, future technology, Ulrik Svensgaard, Cha Dawn, Sinder Roze, Aki Zeta-5, Foreman Domai, Judaa Marr, Lular H'minee, Gaia's Stepdaughters, Human Hive, University of Planet, Morgan Industries, Spartan Federation, Lord's Believers, Peacekeeping Forces, Caretakers, Cult of Planet, Cyborg Consciousness, Free Drones, Data Angels, Nautilus Pirates, Manifold Usurpers, Alpha Centauri Factions, Alien Crossfire Factions, MP, how-to, tutorials

--You'll find the look of the page familiar.

Don't wanna run up my bandwidth TOO much, so please don't spead the address all over. And pulEEZ let me know what you think- of the files, and even the page...

...I could really use some help with the .flc file included in buster.zip.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Buster Crabbe's Uncle; September 19, 2013, 12:30.
    AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
    JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

I had an idea for base defense graphics

I included the bare shields in the empty space in the .pcx you'll find in the updated zip below. I'm pretty pleased with how it looks in the game, much moreso than what I tried with my alternate Borg faction yesterday.

...I think I'd best do a quick fix to the latter's brown flag color and update that zip, too. It was supposed to be dark gray.

[Edit: Fixed. Also improved the look of the Borg shields. See "How I spent MY day" thread.]

[Note that the zip file has been updated since the initial posting. I took the time to remake the bases from scratch- the perspective is better. Not as much of an improvement in the look as I had hoped, but better.]
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Buster Crabbe's Uncle; March 31, 2009, 00:36.

No pasarán

Comment

Eighth faction

This is my first faction graphic-- the one that set me on the path that has consumed all my time since.

The Mindwoms with Minds defaulted to Gaian images, which bugged me, so I made them their own. The image included in the original zip (the one of a worm in a lab you see when you build your first native unit) and the default graphics suggested an experiment gone horribly wrong for Deidre and company, so I went with that.

If you can see the red eyes and the larval mindworm on her forehead in the thumbnail, your eyesight is better than mine- but then mine's terrible anymore.

You don't wanna know how much time and effort went into this. I hope you enjoy my hard work.
      Attached Files

No pasarán

Comment

Cannabis League

My second graphic. Again, I started just wanting the bases to not look identical to the Gaians'.

The portrait has been upgraded since my posting on the webpage two weeks ago.

Hippies are funny.
        Attached Files

No pasarán

Comment

Buster

So far, my only original faction.

I think you'll at least enjoy the bases.
          Attached Files

No pasarán

Comment

The Borg AGAIN?

It seems that everybody and their Uncle has done the Borg, and I'm no better.

But this does have new, actual Borg-looking bases, and an improved logo. ...Nicer bases, if not as interesting a leader portrait as my other take on the Borg...

Here's hoping the four people who usually have a look at my stuff enjoy.
            Attached Files

No pasarán

Comment

The Feminine Union

The day I started work on this, I sez to my Mom, I sez "I've done something I'm ashamed of."

"What?" quoth she.

"For the first time in my life I googled Britney Spears" I said.

-See, I knew there were hotter pictures of her out there that I could crop better. Specifically, I was looking for her Queen-of-Mars red jumpsuit from the "Baby, One More Time" video; it's, surprisingly, very hard to find still pictures of.

But the shot I finally came up with is perfect, thematically. She looks like a queen-of-outer-space. She's even standing in front of a wall with bad-science-fiction lights on it.

The logo, on the other hand, was painless; I googled "feminine symbol" and a perfect gold one was in the first page on Google images. I just cut it out and drew a matching star in the center of the circle. That still makes it my design though, and I'm sinfully proud of it.

I think this faction is unique in that I didn't touch the bases at all. They're okay.

...Only one faction of my first seven to go, and then I'm done with this thread, barring [gasp] any comments.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Buster Crabbe's Uncle; March 30, 2009, 18:30.

No pasarán

Comment

Westlers

This one looked bad, sorry to say, and the text file was a mess, too.

It had the virtue of better taste in pro wrestlers than can usually be expected these days. I changed the portrait but kept Ric Flair. The only thing I didn't substitute with my own was the diplomacy landscape, and I added scan lines to that- back when I was still putting them in manually, which took awhile.

I'm proud of the bases and the improvements to the logo. They're worth a look.

Hell, they're worth a comment or two...

General question, especially for admin types- Most of the factions in this thread are upgrades of ones already in 'Polly's download section. Should I submit them anyway?

General question, especially for them as actually can help- What does it take to get help with making .flc files that work?

I used Fast Movie Processor 1.41 to stitch together a little movie of 25 87x105 shots I had already grayscaled. It plays with jumbled LSD colors and then locks up the game.

I already read the thread where Maniac had the exact same problem a while back. I unchecked the reduce to single pallette option, and can't for the life of me find any other pallette options of any sort.

Help! I only joined this forum in the first place to get help with that durn file and i've been very disapointed.

The file is included in buster.zip, attached three posts upthread.

I'm done here. Peace out, y'all!
                Attached Files

No pasarán

Comment

General question, especially for admin types- Most of the factions in this thread are upgrades of ones already in 'Polly's download section. Should I submit them anyway?

Of course, you are more than welcome.
                  SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

I believe Maniac found that he couldn't edit (i.e. upgrade) his SMAniaC Gold file once he submitted it to the 'poly download section.
                    Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Hm I'll have to check it.
                      SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Illuminatus
                        Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Testing to see if the sig displays...
                          Last edited by Buster Crabbe's Uncle; April 10, 2009, 13:32. Reason: [Oh goody- it did!]

No pasarán

Comment

Working...
                          X