Sir_Schwick the beginner's modding thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir_Schwick the beginner's modding thread

Welcome one and all. The title for this thread, as its inception, was inspired by Tim's excellent thread.

Background of the Modern Earth Extended Mod

The original inspiration to create a new mod came after playing through the Modern Earth mod. There were many things I liked, especially the map, but ultimately the tweaking started to transform itself into new ideas. These new ideas were inspired by reading threads here in the AC Creation forum. Probably the biggest inspiration for the new direction of MEEM is Darsnan's ideas relating to alpha.txt that is tailored to specific game settings. Also another inspiration is the fact that I don't own a copy of SMAX, so I am trying to provide an interesting TC for SMAC owners.

Philosophy

I have always felt that the modern and industrial stages of Civilization lacked some of the depth demanded by those ages. SMAC had an engine that could provide that depth. So each game of MEEM will start from a Civilization game on an earth map that is played through to a certain level of technology(somewhere between RL 1500s and 1800s). Then that last turn from the Civ game will be used as the basis for placing cities, units, map knowledge, and technologies as a scenario using the MEEM rule sets.

The MEEM rule sets will consist of core modified text files based upon RL technology from the 1500s(maybe later) through the early 2100s. However for each scenario, it will probably be necessary to modify the earlier stages of tech trees. Possible reasons include that an isolated civilization is far behind on technology.

Factions in each MEEM scenario will be based upon the civilizations in the Civ game the scenario is based upon. Also, if possible, each Civ will gain access at start to build able units that are tailored to their historical army structure and surrounding environment.

Other junk to say

Like Tim in his thread, I welcome observation, ideas, criticism, and especially jokes(although lay off the mothers, we really need more original family related jokes).

Anyway, here are some questions that I need pondered while I start my work and prepare another post:

1) Is it possible to prevent the AI from trading certain technologies? I am thinking about giving factions a starter technology that includes their custom units and possibly custom structures.

2) Is it possible to prevent specific structures from being built? Cities with certain structures in the pre-game will probably receive some kind of analogous structure in MEEM.

3) Is it possible to prevent specific advances from being researched? This would likely be where 'ancient' structures from the pre-game would be activated or build able.

Of course the first thing I did was create a folder called MEEM Core for all the Core files. Also I created a folder for the original files as a backup. There is also a file that will allow me to track the tasks I have been working on. Simply a log so I know what has been done and needs to be done.

Now I have been trying to collect some basic information for designing the new tech tree. Are these facts correct?

1) There are only twenty slots in the design workshop for the weapon/module?

2) You can have additional attack/module, but since it wouldn't be in the workshop, they are only useful for pre-designed units?

3) There are nine chassis slots?

4) There are four reactor slots?

5) There are ten armor slots?

6) The number of total technologies(included unused) is fixed and 89?

7) The effects of facilities and secret projects are not changeable?
    Last edited by sir_schwick; November 10, 2008, 15:04.

Comment

Here are some concepts I have done in my design document:

#2.1 – ERAS OF WARFARE – 2.1#
      Weapons,chassis, and abilities need to come together through technology in era form. These eras should be defined by a change in overall tactics that can be used. Here are some ideas for initial eras:
      Age of Steel – old style medieval infantry bashes, slow armies and sieges.
      Age of Artillery – at this stage artillery would become powerful. Also start to see some use of raiding type fast units.
      Age of Maneuver – at this stage motorized vehicles will allow for fast troop redeployment, although tanks and planes are still novelties.
      Age of Blitzkrieg – at this stage armor attacks and powerful planes would be common
      Age of Precision – the fortification would lose its usefulness as missiles and defense ignoring units became more popular.
      Age of Asymmetry – asymmetrical warfare along with powerful weapons and drop pods would define successful wars in terms of raids and reach.

Comment

Re: Sir_Schwick the beginner's modding thread

Originally posted by sir_schwick
        Background of the Modern Earth Extended Mod
        Philosophy

I have always felt that the modern and industrial stages of Civilization lacked some of the depth demanded by those ages. SMAC had an engine that could provide that depth. So each game of MEEM will start from a Civilization game on an earth map that is played through to a certain level of technology(somewhere between RL 1500s and 1800s). Then that last turn from the Civ game will be used as the basis for placing cities, units, map knowledge, and technologies as a scenario using the MEEM rule sets.

The MEEM rule sets will consist of core modified text files based upon RL technology from the 1500s(maybe later) through the early 2100s. However for each scenario, it will probably be necessary to modify the earlier stages of tech trees. Possible reasons include that an isolated civilization is far behind on technology.

Factions in each MEEM scenario will be based upon the civilizations in the Civ game the scenario is based upon. Also, if possible, each Civ will gain access at start to build able units that are tailored to their historical army structure and surrounding environment.
        This is a significantly broad and ambitious project. Question: do you have general experience in modding, as well as specific experience modding the SMAC text files? Reason I am asking is that based on your comments above, not only do you have to be able to mod the designated files, but what you are describing (or at least what I think you are describing) is that each setup would have to be unique based upon the Civ game it is picking up from. As a comparison, you mentioned my thread concerning optimizing the alphax.txt to specific planetary conditions: this is only one file that I am concentrating on, and even after all these months since I originally posted I am still far from done in regards to both getting the feel right, as well as balancing every gameplay option.

D

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. My modding background for civ games unfortunately does not include any finished mods. Over the years I have messed around with the text files. However actual experience in balancing and proper testing is limited. Having started work on MEEM I am realizing how overly ambitious the original idea is.

Most likely the focus of MEEM will change to one of being a mod set that can be used by Earth scenario makers. Eventually I would like to do scenario conversions from Civ, but that will have to survive the test of patience.

Things that will be left out of MEEM for now:
          FACTIONS - These are much to specific to bother having defaults.
          SECRET PROJECTS - These have effects that probably need to be scenario specific. However in the design documents suggestions about their use will be included.
          GRAPHICS - I am not an artist and most mods need their own flavor.
          MODIFIED SCRIPTS - All these are definitely context sensitive.

Comment

I have been drawing up a loose outline of the military techs as they go through the ages of MEEM. So far they take up 35 slots, but this doesn't include intermediary slots for correct timing.

Many of them are dead-end slots that give access to pre-defined units of types you cannot build yet. Both rovers and needlejets aren't designable components until WWIish time. Also artillery often has access to higher weapon values then other units of the same technology level.

So this raises the question; is there a cap on how many pre-defined units can be in Alpha.txt? Also, I still have stuff left on my military tree to finish, how many techs should be for non-military branches?

Comment

So this raises the question; is there a cap on how many pre-defined units can be in Alpha.txt?
              I believe the magic number is 64, but I've never empirically tested this.

D

Comment

... how many techs should be for non-military branches?
                Really, that depends on how you want the game to feel. If you're looking to create a primarily military conflict with less emphasis on economics, psychology, and science, you won't need as many non-military branches. You're getting into some heavy-duty modding if you're already rebuilding the tech tree But
                I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Thank you for the feedback.

Originally posted by gwillybj
                  Really, that depends on how you want the game to feel. If you're looking to create a primarily military conflict with less emphasis on economics, psychology, and science, you won't need as many non-military branches.
                  My goal is to encourage historical modern era in the sense it was lots of development punctuated by times of extreme warfare. So I am guessing I need as many non-military branches as military, if not more.

Here are some of the current themes of the MEEM core tech tree:

-The Elite Military tech tree branches off on its own fairly early. This branch is pretty inclusive, except for when civilian technology is absolutely necessary for advancement. You gain less components overall, but get access to interesting pre-defined units the Standard military tech tree does not gain. This branch also gives exclusive access to useful military facilities and abilities.

-The Standard Military tech tree relies much more on the civilian tech tree to advance. Although this relationship is usually one way, with SMT techs only being pre-reqs for other SMT techs. This is especially true as complexity of weapons increase(i.e. game gets later). You see a lot more design components in the SMT rather than the Elite Training branch.

-The Industrial tech tree deals with increasing mineral production and agricultural production. It doesn't start in earnest until the early-mid to mid game.

-The Science tech tree is more of a theoretical area. It acts as the gatekeeper to mini-branches and eras within the Industrial tech tree. However some of these gates are pyramids within the science tech tree, rather than just single techs.

-The Society tech tree is the answer to problems caused by the Industrial tech tree. This includes overpopulation, environmental damage, lack of capital, and SE choices that become antiquated. Sometimes Science also asks as a gatekeeper to critical Society techs. This would mean that a lack of Science will leave you stuck.

Of course the only ones that are even close to outlined are the two military tracks.
                  Also some basic images of the tech tree are done, but disconnected.

You're getting into some heavy-duty modding if you're already rebuilding the tech tree But
                  I suspect this mod will mostly end up being the tech trees and units. Not even going to touch faction balance, since this was for scenarios anyway.

Comment

Question: Can factions be given extra bonuses for choosing a particular SE choice? This would be very useful for starting a faction with weak SE and then allowing it to catch up due to technology. The balancing SE would be much to strong for other factions if I could not give the weak faction extra bonuses.

Comment

Question: Can factions be given extra bonuses for choosing a particular SE choice? This would be very useful for starting a faction with weak SE and then allowing it to catch up due to technology. The balancing SE would be much to strong for other factions if I could not give the weak faction extra bonuses.
                      Are you refering to the Impunity function? This function disables the negative effects of a Social choice, which is a significant bonus in itself. Otherwise I'm not sure of anything that actually gives a bonus in a certain situation

And just to make sure your aware, some of the rules for building a faction are encapsulated in the alpha.txt, as follows:

; SPECIAL RULES = rule, parameter
                      ;
                      ; TECH = Free technology at start. Parameter
                      ; is either a tech id (e.g. "Cen") to
                      ; indicate a specific technology, or a
                      ; number (e.g. 2) to indicate a number
                      ; of player-selected technologies.
                      ; MORALE = Morale modifier (if 0, indicates an
                      ; exemption from negative modifiers from
                      ; other sources).
                      ; PSI = Percentage combat bonus for PSI Combat.
                      ; FACILITY = Every new base gets this free facility.
                      ; Param indicates facility (e.g. "4" is
                      ; a Perimeter Defense) from the facilities
                      ; list. Do NOT attempt to give satellites
                      ; and secret projects this way.
                      ; RESEARCH = Free research points per base per turn.
                      ; DRONE = Extra drone at base (per "param"
                      ; citizens, rounded down)
                      ; TALENT = Extra talent at base (per "param"
                      ; citizens, rounded up)
                      ; ENERGY = Free energy reserves at start
                      ; INTEREST = Energy reserves interest.
                      ; Non-zero = constant percentage per turn (including negative)
                      ; Zero = +1/base each turn
                      ; COMMERCE = Increased commerce rate
                      ; POPULATION = # to be added to population limit of
                      ; each base for purposes of Habitation
                      ; domes, etc.
                      ; HURRY = Percentage change in costs of "Hurry"
                      ; button on construction (e.g. 125 means
                      ; 125% of normal cost, so 100 costs 125).
                      ; UNIT = Extra free unit at start; param is
                      ; index from units list (e.g. 0 equals
                      ; Colonists, 1 Terraformers, 2 Scout
                      ; Crawler)
                      ; TECHCOST = Modifier % for tech research rate.
                      ; (e.g. 125 means each discovery costs
                      ; 125% the usual number of research
                      ; points).
                      ; SHARETECH = Gain any technology known to # other players
                      ; TERRAFORM = Halves terraform raise/lower cost
                      ; SOCIAL = Gives a modifier in the named social effect category
                      ; ("SOCIAL, +EFFIC" raises the EFFIC rating by 1;
                      ; "SOCIAL, --POLICE" lowers POLICE rating by 2);
                      ; ROBUST = Halves the intensity of minus effects in the named
                      ; social area ("ROBUST, EFFIC" halves minus efficiency
                      ; effects in social model).
                      ; IMMUNITY = Immunity from minus effects in the named social
                      ; area. ("IMMUNITY, ENERGY" prevents minus energy
                      ; effects in social model).
                      ; IMPUNITY = Impunity :-) from minus effects from a particular
                      ; social setting. "IMPUNITY, Police State" prevents
                      ; all - effects from "Police State" setting.
                      ; PENALTY = Opposite of impunity: doubles the negative effects
                      ; of a particular setting.
                      ; FUNGNUTRIENT= Modifier to NUTRIENT produced in fungus squares
                      ; FUNGMINERALS= Modifier to MINERALS produced in fungus squares
                      ; FUNGENERGY = Modifier to ENERGY produced in fungus squares
                      ; COMMFREQ = Gets an extra comm frequency (another faction to
                      ; talk to) at beginning of game. (Parameter is ignored)
                      ; MINDCONTROL = Vehicles and bases immune to mind control
                      ; FANATIC = +25% bonus on attack
                      ; VOTES = Multiplier for governor votes
                      ; FREEPROTO = Prototype cost reduced to zero for this faction
                      Finally, attached is a document I wrote a while ago entitled "How to build ghost secret projects", which was my attempt to catalog ways to manipulate the Faction.txt files to mimic different SPs. FYI in case that helps as well.

D
                      Attached Files

Comment

Should be very useful, thanks.
                        Is there a list of general commands like the one's used in you GSP guide?

Are the interludes during the game attached to specific technology?

Comment

Is there a list of general commands like the one's used in you GSP guide?
                          Not that I am aware of. Generally what I do is review the various faction.txt files for examples of usage, and just clone what I want from there.

Are the interludes during the game attached to specific technology?
                          Specific technologies and specific events (such as building your first mindworm, and if that worm is then destroyed in combat).

D

Comment

Design dilemma:

I was forced to eliminate the Missle chassis for all the various chassis types in MEEM. Is there a way I could still have pre-defined missle units? For example, could I use a chassis that is in the alpha.txt past the ninth chassis listed in a pre-defined unit?

Comment

Design dilemma:

I was forced to eliminate the Missle chassis for all the various chassis types in MEEM. Is there a way I could still have pre-defined missle units? For example, could I use a chassis that is in the alpha.txt past the ninth chassis listed in a pre-defined unit?
                              I'm not quite understanding what your trying to do here. Can you post an example alpha.txt so I can review?

D

Comment

Working...
                              X