Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Custom Graphics] Modding .PCX files again??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Custom Graphics] Modding .PCX files again??

Hello.

Same problem here. I am trying to paste and put in a new leader pic and emblem pics for a custom faction and I have spent several hours per day trying to figure this out. I have PSP Photo X2 and have read and re-read this and TechnoMerc's post over and over and I am just dumb I guess.

I have used the last color of the palette saved from the original Gaian.pcx file (no dice) tried the last color of the palette saved by the fungboy.pcx file (no dice) and have tried several machinations inbetween. I have tried to set the Transparency layer to the background color and then view/hide it. Seems to be transparent in PSP but in-game has the blue/teal block background showing against base and the emblem.

I guess my main sticking point is what you all mean by changing the color to one that is not used??? So how do I find out what colors I have to choose from? Also Bblue writes about this as well as choosing a "unique" color but I really don't understand what he is talking about.

Does this issue arise in modding in the 2.pcx and 3.pcx files as well or can you just simply cut and paste with those??

Finally since we're on the topic I am also interested in changing the Faction and border colors but is that still dependent on changing the palette transparency then changing it back??

Sorry to bring this up after all these years but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance....
    Those aren't the droids you're looking for...

It's been ages since I modified a faction pcx file myself, so I'm not entirely sure anymore if this was the right way to do, but try copying your changes INTO this blank pcx file I attached.

Where's this TechnoMerc's post?
    Attached Files
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Thanks a heap Maniac.

It actually did work but through trial and error I found the changes I was attempting to make would revert the palette i.e. if I tried to add "blinds" in PSP to get the commlink effect it would revert back to the default PSP palette. Thus I would make changes then load the fungboy .PCX palette to the edited picture, save it then copy and paste it to the blank .PCX file you gave me.

Tecknomerc's (sorry I misspelled his s-name so that is probably why it didn't come up in the search) post is here

It's almost perfect but I still have the blue border problem surrounding the emblem in the report and council logos. I converted them to the SMAC/X palette but when I do that it changes the bkgd from default transparent to the bkgd SMAC/X color which SHOULD work since I made it the same as the bkgrd color of the blank .PCX but hasn't so far. I will try again. Thanks for the file and take a look at Mercs post to see if you can jog your memory.
      Those aren't the droids you're looking for...

Comment

Working...
      X