fun with semiotics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fun with semiotics

One of the nice things about SMAC is that it has a very well-developed visual vocabulary.

A circle is Planet.
    A gear or smokestacks is industry.
    A tree is ecology or terraforming.
    A heart or eight-pointed asterisk is psionics.
    A head in profile is brain science.
    An upward-pointing equilateral triangle is the air.
    An eight-pointed star is military science.
    A graph with a line is economics.
    An X is secrets.
    An eye is artificial intelligence.
    Research in general is represented by an angular beaker, but chemistry is represented by a round-bottomed beaker.
    And so on and such forth.

The purpose of this thread is to:

1) Map out the alphabet as it exists per SMACX,
    2) Establish ideograms for potentially worthy concepts that we'd either like to develop further or that warranted but didn't get ideograms in SMACX, for instance, the sea,
    3) Establish ideograms for concepts we'll be introducing as a result of hybridization with C4, for instance, culture/memetics and religion/ideology,
    4) Map all of the above onto such instances as we may create of techs, SPs, facilities, &c., and onto new areas introduced by hyrbidization, for instance, promotions.

I think it might also be fun to have a vocabulary based on these for SEs such that they can all interlock in a certain way and any given combination of social models will have a sort of "heraldry" to it, but I'll write about that later.

Er, this was intended to have the [C4:AC] tag and to pertain to that, not AC in general. My apologies for the lack of clarity.

Comment

Ok, let's see... we have:

The open book could represent the Academy
      The inverted triangle with arrows pointing the bottom vertex of nanotechnology
      The DNA double helix of genetics
      The hexagon-like shape of resonance
      The shaking hands of adaptiveness
      The four arrows of "compression" (since now they are two, we could talk of a pattern)
      String theory icon (same as above)
      "Singularity" also has a couple diaphragm-like icons

I would say that the head in profile is something more vague, as "mind" (Intellectual Integrity, Transcendant Thought)

Regarding base facilities:

Fusion's Sun
      Quantum's... quantums?
      Hospital's cross
      Shield of defense
      Monument? of training centers

Comment

Working...
      X