Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blake

Sure.

As an example, the unit system. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way CIV does it.

1) Put a selection of units in the tech tree. Plasma Sentinels, Impact Rover, Missile Needlejet, etc, basically the most popular weapon/armor/chassis combos. Make the mobile units "No defensive Bonus" otherwise let them fight weapon to weapon.

2) Use the promotion system. Like COMM would be a promotion which gives +50% defense vs mobile. It would be reasonable to make assigning promotions cost energy and the promotions don't have to be tied to exp (pretty easy to change in the SDK so you could assign 1 or 2 promotions depending on tech).
    It would also be reasonable to use the promotion system for other purposes, like a Morale "promotion" which gives somewhere between -30% and +50% combat power, but instead of being assignable it would be attached by the code according to exp and SE.
    Another example could be a Reactor promotion, with each reactor level increasing hitpoints. When trained, units would come with the best available reactor. It wouldn't be hard to also make reactor techs reduce unit costs to simulate the old effect of reactors reducing cost.
    A "Retool" button could be added which for a modest sum of energy updates the reactor to the latest version (if needed) and resets the promotions (allows them to be re-assigned).
    This sounds very intriguing!

Originally posted by Rubin
    I found that a module approach to the unit design could offer a lot of flexibility in designing the final artwork. This is not unlike the Design Workshop, but the units will still have to be pre-designed and limited to a fixed number. An approach like this would fit very well with Blake's unit design suggestion.

So it sounds like we would need to hash out a list of what units to place into the tech tree, do the coding for each, and then have a graphics person generate the graphics for us? Is this correct?

Anyways, not to bog down this discussion with too many tangents too quickly, but other areas I've discussed with Rubin and others are as follows:

1) Tech Tree: complete clone or something updated/ modified?

2) complete clone of Planet down to the MWs and IoDs, to include impeding movement for Factions with negative planet ratings?

3) begin in MY2101 on Planet or on a different planet/ solar system?

4) How handle the Interludes?

These are just some of the areas that I have peripherally discussed with people before. If people have some good thoughts/ directions on these, then maybe we can start some new threads and discuss what is the most feasible approach for each?

Originally posted by Rubin
    Oh, and that last quote you commented on was not posted by me
    sorry. Fixed.

Currently my old system just can't handle playing CiV effectively. I am planning on getting a new system sometime around February, so if this project does move forward I could probably start helping out more effectively at that time. FYI.

D
    Last edited by Darsnan; November 7, 2006, 11:37.

Comment

Do I smell activity in the AC-Creation forum?

There's a heck of a lot more cumulative modding experience and now might be a good time to look at restarting the project since what was before very challenging to do would now be quite trivial for skilled modders.
      I am now reasonably skilled in Python and XML.
      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Darsnan

So it sounds like we would need to hash out a list of what units to place into the tech tree, do the coding for each, and then have a graphics person generate the graphics for us? Is this correct?
        Well, yes and no. For the mod we do need to make a list of default units to implement; but with a module approach we can do most of the 3D graphics modules without knowing exactly which unit designs make it into the mod. Once we have a final list of units to implement, it is a (simple) matter of combining the 3D graphics modules to fit that list.

We do need to modify the technology tree. There are several reasons for this; one being that the mod is not going to be a SMAC/X clone and the Civ4 game mechanics (and gameplay options) should be reflected in the technology tree.

Comment

And once again, silence seems to return.
          He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Unfortunately
            *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

ok

Ok I am not a skilled 3d artist but if someone can give me a book or something to learn python or xml I'm willing to explore it as well as good cheap programs to use to design graphics and some input on how to do it.

I'll look at the tech tree and figure out how I think it should be redisgened for the mod. I want to keep all the techs but I do like the idea of having multiple paths, has anyone worked on this before?

What plans are there for working with the great people are we including this are we removing it? What about the change where you end up with costs being based on the number of cities? Personally I would like to keep this as it is an improvement in my mind.
              A university faculty is 500 egoists with a common parking problem

Comment

Re: ok

Originally posted by dacole
                I'll look at the tech tree and figure out how I think it should be redisgened for the mod. I want to keep all the techs but I do like the idea of having multiple paths, has anyone worked on this before?
                I have only tentatively worked on redesigning the technology tree. I'll see if I can procure some of the "lost files" which perhaps could be of help visualizing the different technologies and paths (the technology tree was modded for vanilla Civ4).

Comment

I've been doing a blender tutorial, but I doubt I will be proffecient enough to help any time soon. However, you might want to see if this guy (http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...5&pagenumber=1) would be interested in helping out, his freeciv work is amazing.

Comment

I have to agree with Blake's points. I don't think a Civ4-SMAC mod has much potential. Most people love the Civ4 gameplay. I know I do. If I want to play SMAC again, I'll play SMAC. A simple clone mod would feature very few improvements over SMAC, while taking quite a large amount of work.

Now, a hybrid mod I would definitely play. Use a tweaked promotion system instead of the unit workshop - promotions are like an evolution of the workshop anyhow. Perhaps, instead of the SMAC Pacts, in diplomacy, have permanent and non-permanent pacts, similar to Civ4 vassals and permanent alliances. And so on.
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                      I have to agree with Blake's points. I don't think a Civ4-SMAC mod has much potential.

Now, a hybrid mod I would definitely play.
                      Since I don't think anyone here that is putting any time in/ thinking of joining the team is working towards the goal of a complete clone, then does it make sense to either eliminate the original mission statement completely, or amend it to reflect what those that are working on the project think are feasible?

D

Comment

Well it probably does. To outsiders, a precise mission statement would be part of making this mod seem alive and well .
                        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I agree

I agree we should have an updated mission statement. I may have some time to rework it this weekend I'll see. That is the kind of thing I can do as well as the organizing since I don't have a whole lot of programming skills.
                          A university faculty is 500 egoists with a common parking problem

Comment

hybrid is good

I didn't get Civ4 yet, but your comments made me curious.
                            I do support the idea of a hybrid though.
                            • It gets done quicker and better
                            • it's better to work by taking advantage of specifics, instead of trying to go against them at all costs, with clumsy results
                            • chances are that it'd provide some new, interesting aspects to the SMAC experience

I'll keep hoping for it then, you people have my support (for what is worth)

Comment

This project now has its own forum at http://apolyton.net/forums/forumdisp...s=&forumid=306
                              PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                              >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Working...
                              X