No announcement yet.

[C4:AC][Programming] Tech Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forester, could you make a pdf of that (takes only 1 click if you created it with openoffice.org)?

I could open it with openoffice, but a lot of the lines aren't linked correctly anymore.
    no sig

Comment

would not save as a pdf so hope this xml will work.
      Attached Files
      You have two choices in life; Explore and learn or Vegetate.
      There is a reason for everything.

Comment

In the xml all the lines are gone. Not a problem though, we all know (or can find) the tech dependencies. The important part is to have a clean layout without (m)any crossing lines, limited to 7 rows if possible.
        no sig

Comment

Heres my tech tree, I made it 7 line compatible, you can jig it round. All prerequisties are included as ANDS not ORS!
          Attached Files
          Come visit the SMAC Mod
          You can download the latest mod by
          http://code.google.com/p/civ4smac/
          Fan of the original SMAC? join us and help

Comment

Originally posted by Gavin Berchler
            Heres my tech tree, I made it 7 line compatible, you can jig it round. All prerequisties are included as ANDS not ORS!
            This technology tree crashes my Civ4. If all you've done is rearranging the technology "boxes" in the F6 technology advisor screen, could you post an image of this layout?

Comment

which patch are you using?
              Come visit the SMAC Mod

Comment

Originally posted by Gavin Berchler
                which patch are you using?
                I tested the file on 1.61. Why?

Comment

gavin, it crashes on my pc too.

While loading, there are 400 errors about other xml files that reference to old civ4 techs (ie: pre-reqs for units)

In the game, you can look at the tech tree, but it's very weird. The techs are horizontally spaced about 2 screenwidths away from each other.

After one turn of playing, the game crashes to desktop.
                  no sig

Comment

I also gave it a try and could not even load Civ all the way.

Every Path for the techs was wrong for some rreason.
                    You have two choices in life; Explore and learn or Vegetate.
                    There is a reason for everything.

Comment

Here is the original I did without the 7 line compatibility. Try this one, I haven't got access to a civilization game while I am a way as I am remotely dialing in.

Try this one (also includes faction details)
                      I can;t upload here so will uplaod via yousendit.com

Come visit the SMAC Mod

Comment

I don't know if this is possible, but...

In the file CvTechChooser.py, line 136:

Code:
                        screen.attachPanelAt( "TechList", szTechRecord, u"", u"", True, False,
                        	PanelStyles.PANEL_STYLE_TECH, iX - 6, iY - 6, self.getXStart() + 6,
                        	12 + ( BOX_INCREMENT_HEIGHT * PIXEL_INCREMENT ),
                        	WidgetTypes.WIDGET_TECH_TREE, i, -1 )
                        I figure this line draws the "tech boxes" that we are trying to rearrange on the F6 Technology screen. The problem is that the box graphics are "themed" and not raw dds graphics. If we can change this, so that the file will look for a dds file (via one of the ArtDefine*.xml files) I think I can produce some SMAC/X-like boxes to replace the Civ4 default boxes.

I can change the background graphics and I think the screen header and the bottom exit panel can be replaced as well.

Comment

Did you manage to download and install the tree-- did it work?
                          Come visit the SMAC Mod

Comment

gavin, it will always crash because the references to the original techs in other files (ie: units, buildings, ...) can't be found. There is no way to distribute a new techtree without modifying all other files that depend on it too. [i]Well, there IS a way : keep all original techs too, but give them high x/y values so they are not on the screen by default. You'd still be able to research them though.
                            no sig

Comment

Pjay, If you push cancel on all the references it will allow you to go through. I took some screen grabs which I have posted up and they seem to work ok. We need to get the xml sorted so we can start playing with the other bits.

Perhaps someone can start coming up with a task list of things that need to be done so we can start checking them off. I am going to be back in about a week and a half. If anyone needs a hand with anything, I would love to help out.

Otherwise I will start doing some artwork until you guys have the programming stuff sorted.
                              Come visit the SMAC Mod

Comment

Gavin Berchler, I don't quite understand what you are trying to say.

I already did a Tech file with all the default techs AND the SMACX techs (with the default techs placed as PJayTycy mentioned). However, I encountered a few issues that suggested that I did no further work on the technologies:

1) SMAC/X uses "AND" lines and not "OR" lines. To be able to display the prerequiste lines correctly I would have to either change all or-prerequisites and and-prerequisites, or wait until someone made it possible to display "AND" lines instead of "OR" lines.

2) In order to make the file somewhat complete and ready for playtesting I needed to modify all the referenced files. That is simply a huge amount of editing; and as long as we were just trying to see what could be done I found no need to do all this work (mostly simple copy & paste from the SMAC/X text files).

3) It is easy to add sound quotes, but we haven't decided on how to organize the sound files nor if we are legally allowed to include them in a MOD file download--or maybe if a kind of installer is required to be used with an installation of SMAC/X.

4) It could be that the current technology schema needs changes and the technology file would have to reflect this.

There are probably more issues that I do not recall.

Could you perhaps inform me as to what I am missing in what you are saying? When I looked at your file I only noticed a few changed references for each technology and a grid position. I'll look at it again, but please tell me what changes to look for.

Comment

Working...
                                X