Editing PCX files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing PCX files

Does anybody know of a good program to do this or explain what i'm doing wrong here ?
    Currently i've just downloaded brush strokes and using the original Hive.pcx i filled in the small boxs in the bottom left for faction colour and unit colour changing them from blue to red.
    However when starting the game theres now a mass of changes, namely Yangs face is replaced by Dees, the units colour are the see through type that you see on bugged native lifeforms (that big airbase thing darsnan uses in some of his scens), the base graphic is gaian, when opening the base screen the colour for "The Hive" almost matchs the background and is nigh on invisible and the border colours are alien !!?
    Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

There is some expertise on editing pcx files at the

They have faction editing tutorials (including a brief one of editing .pcx files) and utitilities there, and can likely direct you to persons with experience therein.
    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

I personally use Photoshop Elements. The ability to save and reload the smax pallet is a must for me. The colors get corrupted too easily in casual editing programs.
      Don't rule me out when I'm losing. Save your celebration until after I'm gone.

Comment

Yeah i can tell, i'm still having trouble getting the damn faction colour to change without screwing up the whole pcx
        Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

In my humble opinion, Photoshop is an overkill. For these low definition pixel-by-pixel files, I use Paint Shop Pro. It's more than enough.

Comment

Check these threads - perhaps one of them describes the solution to the problem.

How can I edit the picture files?
            Explains how to do it using Paintshop Pro.

Box around my cities
            How to get rid of blue box around custom image of cities of a custom faction.

Faction graphics, colours, blurbs etc
            Various issues with editing pcx files.

Odd graphics question
            About editing faction logos.

PCX files
            Can pcx files be modified or substituted.

Graphic problem
            Problems that arise with PCX files when importing/exporting palettes.

graphic error in creating a faction

Need help with new faction bachround color.

Modifying PCX files? problem

Textures.pcx probs

Problem with custom base/symbol graphics

Faction Base Graphics Problem

Faction editing

graphics: Okay, what am I doing wrong?

City Editing
            Problems that arise with PCX files when importing/exporting palettes. Also, how to make bases look transparent.

Graphics
            How to make the fuzzy transmission look of leaders in pcx file.

Tip of the day for PSP6
            How to get vertical lines in pcx pictures.

Finishing touch for faction graphics
            How to get vertical lines in pcx pictures.
            SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Nice scouring, камрада комиссар.

Comment

Спасиб&#1086 .

EDIT: (it means "thank you")
                Last edited by Illuminatus; February 23, 2006, 05:51.
                SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

can't you just edit pcx files in microsoft paint?

Comment

Not any more. Newer versions of paint don't read .pcx files.

Comment

Realy, No pcx in paint anymore? Well Smac has a color pallet issue anyway that makes MSPaint a bad choice.
                      Don't rule me out when I'm losing. Save your celebration until after I'm gone.

Comment

So is there any way to do it without paintshop pro? I don't want to buy paintshop pro!!!!

I guess there is no free software that will do the trick?

Comment

There are many free programs that will view/edit .pcx files. I use this one: http://www.gimp.org/ but there are many others.

Comment

Working...
                          X