[C4:AC][Programming][Graphics] Buildings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [C4:AC][Programming][Graphics] Buildings

I will start working on early buildings soon. Here I will list my progress, pose questions, ...

1. If anyone wants to help me they are welcome to, the work could easily be split up (i.e into editing buildings and datalinks/civilopedia entries).

2.text keys etc.
    I will use a similar method to Rubin with his techtree, writing full names. So there will be
    BUILDINGCLASS_RECYCLING_TANKS
    oh, and I will do
    BUILDINGCLASS_CHILDRENS_CRECHE
    as I don't know how XML/python will handle <'s>

3. graphics
    3.1 map:
    The way buildings show on the map is the *.nif file in the ArtDefines_Building.xml , right?
    We haven't got any files for this, so what do we do? Turn off buildings on the map (if possible)?

3.2 buttons
    Art/Interface/Buttons/Buildings_Atlas.dds,6,5
    where is this? and how do I get it to link to any file I want?

4. flavors
    Civ4 has flovors for every building (SMAX only for SPs, I could just put in what I think is right and then post a list that you can comment on, if that's ok.

5. Maintainance
    doesn't exist so far, senethro suggested putting it in the files, but as a comment, so we would have
    <--!iBuildingMaintainance>1
    which does nothing until someone puts in the fundtion via python.
    Some Buildings are free later, so that would be another function
    <--!TechFreeMaintainance/-->
    but mabe we leave that out, beacsue it's only for 3 buildings or so anyways.

6. can anyone tell me what
    fVisibilityPriority
    does?
    Last edited by EmperorJay; November 30, 2005, 10:01.

3.2 :
    The art files are in the fpk files. For modding purposes, it's best to unpack all those .fpk's somewhere in a temp directory, so you can see the structure.
    The button xml has 2 forms:

,button.dds,..._Atlas.dds,x,y OR button.dds

The Atlas.dds files are a collection of all kind of icons (note the comma in front). For exampe Tech_Atlas.dds contains all tech icons, and the (x,y) values point at 1 icon in this big file. I don't know why these 2 methods are supported, but I usually just use the simple form of "button.dds".
    no sig

Comment

Something to keep in mind when programming the children's creche.
      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac

Something to keep in mind when programming the children's creche.
        Its an interesting point, but its one of those features that would be best written in a comment along with the facility so we know what needs to be done later.

What other secondary features of buildings are there? Skunkworks removes retooling penalty, Bio Lab repairs Native Life fast similar to a Command Centre and ground units...

Comment

I thouht skunkworks only removes prototype costs, and doesn't do anything to retooling penatly.

Of course... Civ IV doesn't even HAVE retooling penalties at the moment....

Comment

Oh, yes children's creche... that's a difficult one without SE. Any Ideas how to modyfy the creche so that it can be done in civ4?
            Of course it will never be as cool as in smac without the boom...
            and then it also has this effect allowing the rapid population growth random event.

btw is anyone working on random events? I think I saw a mod at civfanatics that had a random event "olympics" so it will be possible to have a numbe rof events even without the SDK.

Comment

Working...
            X