[C4:AC] SMAC movies converted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [C4:AC] SMAC movies converted

I haven't been able to find a thread where the SMACX movies were up for implementation discussion, hence I make this new thread.

I've had success converting the .wve movies in SMACX (or at least success with the ones I've tried converting so far) into the .bik format. Currently, I have the "Singularity Inductor" (~10mb) and the SMAC opening movie (~60mb) done. The opening movie doesn't (yet) play when loading up the MOD and I've had no luck replacing a default wonder movie with the Singularity Inductor movie (I only tried replacing the Stonehenge movie in the MOD).

Though, I did get the opening movie to play by replacing the original Civilization IV opening movie with the newly converted SMAC movie. The SMAC movie plays in full screen, which probably hurts the quality impression somewhat. However, it did work without any problems.

I used the "Wing Commander player" to convert the .wve files to .avi format, and I used the RAD Video Tools (http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm) to convert from .avi to .bik.

Edit: By replacing the Stonehenge.bik file in the main Civilization folder with the (now renamed) Singularity Inductor file, I was able to have the Singularity Inductor movie playing in-game. The sound plays fine and once the movie ends the Stonehenge bonuses text popped up, just like in the normal Stonehenge wonder movie. Unfortunately, the SMAC movie does not seem to fit the dimensions of the default wonder movies which caused distortion (SMAC movies are significantly "widescreen" compared to Civ4 movies, it seems).
    Last edited by Rubin; November 21, 2005, 10:39.

Perhaps the "screen" in which the movies play can be resized to fit more with the SMAC movies?
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Great Job Rubin!

However, we have some issues here - the movies are media that belongs to Firaxis, and we have a few ways to go around implementing this

1) Firaxis gives us permission to package the movies with the installer, because they are awesome like that, and if they are cool enough to let us package all the media along with the installer, the client might not even need SMAC

2) Firaxis (or their overlords at Take Two) don't give us permission to package the movies with the installer, so we can do either

a) Write a script that will convert the media in the player's SMAC folder or disk to a usable format, and package that with the installer.
      b) Relase the media along with the installer, and if they try and shut us down, we can either lay down and die - a la Chrono Trigger Ressurection,

or keep the downloader running for as long as possible, then when it's shut down, slap it on a torrent and keep it going forever, with us escaping into the anonmity of the Internet.

This all is dependant on our trust of Firaxis, and their awesomeness as a company. Will Take Two have any power here, seeing as they weren't involved in SMAC?

Firaxis: If any of you are reading this right now, please don't be as lame as Square-Enix. Allow us to know that you're still strategy gamers at heart, and value a great game and your loyal fan's trust over any hypothetical profit that could come from shutting us down.

Remember, if anything, this modification will spurn more interest in SMAC, and fans of the series who missed out on the adventures on Chiron might just pick up a copy of SMAX, or better yet, fans of SMAC would go out and purchase a shiny, new, $49.99 copy of Civilization IV just to play our mod, or even better, a future Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri 2. It can only be a good thing for everybody. Please give us a chance to show how much we love your games by showing your support in our endeavors.

Comment

GeoModder, perhaps the "screen" can be resized. However, this would probably not be anything I am capable of implementing. I am just messing with the easy parts of modifications.

gkclarkson, so far I am just saying that it is possible to implement the SMAC movies in Civilization IV. I am simply reporting my findings--and as such, I have no "issues".

Comment

Well then, no "issues" yet
          however, I would like a way to get in contact with you, to possible find a way to import 3d models into the game before the sdk is released. I can't seem to find your e-mail adress anywhere.

Comment

gkclarkson, you can send me a PM.

Comment

Working...
            X