[C4:AC][Art and Graphics] New title screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [C4:AC][Art and Graphics] New title screen

I experimented a bit with some of the interface .dds files. I am unable to change any of the in-game interface boxes (including color), but I was able to make a new title screen. This is just to show that it can be done:

Good work.

Let's hope that at one point Earth could be replaced with Chiron and Alpha Centauri B added.
    SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Illuminatus, there is a .dds file with a distorted image of the earth. I assume the distortion is required in order to have the image fit the globe structure in the title screen. So, it should, in theory, be possible to replace the earth by simply replacing the graphics. I have no idea on how to add Alpha Centauri B, though.

Also, I forgot to add that the title screen now features the original SMACX music, which I had to convert to from .wav format into .mp3 format. The result is a is a 188 KB opening music file!

Comment

Interesting. If we could get someone to do the map of planet (the northeastern part freshwater sea is the most recognizable portion of the game in my opinion) it would be a tremendous change. Also, could you drop the Brian Reynolds design part and leave it Alpha Centauri? We should not try to directly copy every part of a trademark.

Good work with intro music. I am glad mp3 format is used. Too bad in game music is not predefined and randomly generated. I guess our Sound department will have to compose something.

(Off topic: this is my title music)
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Illuminatus, I can easily remove the Brian Reynolds design part. The title logo uses 2 different .dds file (civtitle.dds, civtitle2.dds)--corresponding with the day/night cycle in the title screen. I just made those files identical for this test. However, we could play around with different transitions. Perhaps include the "Alien Crossfire" logo, perhaps some graphics depicting that this is a MOD. I am sure someone can come up with some spectacular ideas on this.

Comment

Girlfight_club made a design a few months ago, maybe you could use it?''

Go to post 105
            Don't rule me out when I'm losing. Save your celebration until after I'm gone.

Comment

Bump, since we have some news regarding this area:

Concerning the transparent blue that appears all over the interface, some careful experimentation on the part of Zoid has produced this:

This pic is mostly just a proof of concept, unless you want to play pink SMAC :P
              Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
              "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

I always though regular Civ4 should have had the UI the color of your nation (dont know if anyone has moded that or not but it would be cool). Will be be going with that "Charcol" kind of color SMAC had?
                Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Well, I've given the Main Screen/Title Screen look some additional thought.

1) I removed the "Brian Reynolds" part. This gives the logo a different balance and--whether we include the Alien Crossfire features or not--I think the Alpha Centauri text looks just stunning! I like simple effects like that... and the day/night cycle on the screen does give some slight changes to the logo.

2) Of course, we should seek to alter the look of the globe; maybe just distort the image--at least enough to wipe out the impression of Earth.

3) I noticed the flashing arrows that appear when I mouse-over an item on the menu. Put them into some SMAC/X menu selection boxes (displayed on the right side of the SMAC/X main menu screen) and we can get rid of that fancy blue panel.

4) Depending on the rest of the MOD's interface we could remove the bottom "EXIT GAME" panel and have it's functions grouped with the other menu items. If the panel is needed it should probably be the same panel we apply to the civilopedia, civics, technology, etc. screens. --Some kind of default SMAC/X interface graphics style.

Add some SMAC/X music and we'd have an excellent main menu screen!

I see no reason to rotate the globe 90 degrees to fit the SMAC/X look. The selection boxes should remain in the center of the screen (for visual balance). Since it is a MOD we are doing, the MOD name will be displayed at the top right and I don't see a need to have the MOD name included in the logo (or anywhere else).

Is this in accordance with our wishes for the MOD?

Comment

Actually I was thinking shouldn't there be Civilization IV line above Alpha Centauri in accordance with the C4:AC title of the project?

Comment

Hm, Illuminatus, we'd want the "merging" of Civilization IV and Alpha Centauri (and perhaps Alien Crossfire) represented on the title screen?

Could it be like the "Brian Reynolds" line (above or below the logo)? Or somehow displayed elsewhere, for example as a permanent graphical feature of the bottom panel ("EXIT GAME") showing in various advisor screens, etc.?

Do we want it to be "C4:AC"; "Civilization IV : Alpha Centauri MOD"; "Civ4:SMACX"? Or something like that? What information do we want to be displayed?

As part of the logo it could show permanently in the main menu screen or be made to fade in and out corresponding with the day/night cycle?

---

Also, I could not locate a python file that defines the main menu screen. Any help on how to modify this screen would be much appreciated.

Comment

I have also looked for any file that does the intro/loading but no go.

It seems to be a combo of pics that are manipulated by some python or something else.

By adding to the ini file "Load = [path t picture] I was able to get the load bar and the load text to not show.
                        You have two choices in life; Explore and learn or Vegetate.
                        There is a reason for everything.

Comment

Erm, I thought I showed the location in another thread yesterday?
                          He who knows others is wise.
                          He who knows himself is enlightened.
                          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by Rubin
                            Hm, Illuminatus, we'd want the "merging" of Civilization IV and Alpha Centauri (and perhaps Alien Crossfire) represented on the title screen?

Could it be like the "Brian Reynolds" line (above or below the logo)? Or somehow displayed elsewhere, for example as a permanent graphical feature of the bottom panel ("EXIT GAME") showing in various advisor screens, etc.?

Do we want it to be "C4:AC"; "Civilization IV : Alpha Centauri MOD"; "Civ4:SMACX"? Or something like that? What information do we want to be displayed?

As part of the logo it could show permanently in the main menu screen or be made to fade in and out corresponding with the day/night cycle?
                            I admire you effort and enthusiasm, but perhaps you are overanalysing this. A simple Civilization IV : Alpha Centauri would be fine. Your best suggestion is to replace "a Brian Reynolds design" line with "a Civilization IV mod". Thoughts?

Comment

Illuminatus, I am merely offering my immediate thoughts on our options. I know very little about what the project wants (there are obvious conflicts as well), so I am trying to help the best I can.

Alternatively, I could disregard any specific whishes and simply produce a main menu screen and leave it at that. If it finds no use in the MOD (for whatever reason), then that's fine.

This thread has been open for months for people to comment. I experimented with the "Girlfight_club image", but failed to make it look decent. I removed the "Brian Reynolds" line and it worked well. I have not experimented with the globe graphics and I have no idea how to add a second "sun".

Comment

Working...
                              X