Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [C4:AC][Writing] Flavour texts

Hiya crew.

Just a thought, since I'm waiting for CIV4 to arrive Australian shores. I was thinking if extra flavour texts for tech advancements could be written just to give them extra depth. Reading the tech descriptions, while somewhat informative, needs sprucing up.

I've test written one or two extra paragraphs just see if it fits in. I'll probably post some up once I've done a few more and if I'm happy with them.
    Promoter of Public Morale
    Alpha Centauri Democracy Game

Flavour texts for original SMAC or mod?
    I guess both?
    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Explain please, the thread might need renaming or moving.
      SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Well for the mod. I was hoping that once I can get my hands on the game itself, I was hoping to see if I could use in game information (e.g. faction of player) and customise the flavour text output.

Meanwhile I've decided to write extra flavour texts of tech advancements from the perspective of different factions. I'll probably end up insane if I decide to do all of them, having to think in seven different modes.

I guess this threads needs renaming.

Comment

Well at the moment it is kinda cheesey and I'm up for suggestions if I should continue on and any advice for improvements.

Original Text
          ##Biogenetics
          The alien environment on Planet brought a host of unforeseen health problems for the colonists. Early inquiries into {Biogenetics} center on the prevention and treatment of these problems. Researchers in this discipline seek an understanding of the entire genetic code.

My flavour texts

Gaian

The alien microbes collected during research field trips yielded a host of exotic chemicals. Prelimary testing has shown they are capable of triggering a number of genes that could lead to extensive health problems. We believe however existing lifeforms may have developed natural countermeasures, despite their alien physiology, that could be adapted to our genetics.

Believer

As mankind has triumphed with our impure flesh on earth, so too shall we triumph here on Chiron. We have at our disposal, the very tools to strengthen our very bodies to ward off the evils that lurk within this god forsakened alien planet. Again, faith in our god and humanity have shown the path to purge our sins even from our genetic code and walk again in new light.

Spartan

Sergant Thalos, third squad of the 15th company, moved into position at 0617 Spartan time to secure the perimeters of the delta farming centre. There were minor altercations of colonists firing at the squad but they were quickly neutralised to the death of two colonists. Quarantine procedures were placed into action and all live colonists were accounted for. Preliminary testing from biomedical teams reported two possible C-resistant candidates for gene mapping.

Comment

Actually, this could be applied to regular SMAC games as well. With help of #endgame, it could be set that before each game a different file with descriptions is taken via loader. If you intend to have a Believer game you could load Believing versions of descriptions.
            SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Sounds like that won't be much of a problem then.

Meanwhile I'm sure there are people who have passionate views of their faction and may want to contribute if they so wish to. I think there there would not be any problems if there are multiple entries for a tech advancement for a faction. That just means a randomiser function is needed to pick a text out.

Meanwhile I'll probably start on the Believers, since they are so much fun to get into the skin of.

Comment

I actually like this idea a lot - Alpha Centauri impressed me with its depth as is, and incorporating some of the fan fiction into a remake could yield a stunning result. Even if the stories and blurbs get old, new ones could be incorporated continuously.
                "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                -BBC news

Comment

If this could be done well, it would be a good thing. I'd be interested in seeing more said about this.

Its a fitting tribute to the quality of the original material that this is being considered.

Comment

Right, I admit to getting distracted by Civ4. I finally bought the copy. I am also distracted by report writing too. I think I need to avoid computers to get cracking on more creative writing.

Comment

Working...
                    X