Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[C4:AC] Using SMAC media, legal and technical issues dicussion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no that would include pictures as well,unless you redo every single bit of art

plenty of other mods have gotten server hosting,there isnt only poly....
    if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

[SIZE=1] there isnt only poly....
      SACRILEGE!!!!

Get out the tar and feathers!

Comment

I would prefer to make it require SMAC so that we can avoid legal difficulties.
        SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

I'm actually inclined to agree.

Comment

Hey an idea:

Someone should write an installer then which seeks for SMAC entry in registry and if not found says to locate SMAC directory manually and checks if it can copy all the needed files from that directory.

We will need almost the same for C4 but probably without copying the files (locating the regkey and if not, prompting to browse for C4 dir).
            -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
            -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I'm not sure. If we're making a mod incorporating parts of SMAX, as SMAX isn't exactly widespread its going to be somewhat self defeating.

And writing software to take files from a SMAC installation is going to be hellish, remembering how many different language versions/localisations and reprintings of SMAC there were.

Really, lets speak to Firaxis and get a firm position on if we can include original SMAC files in a not-for-profit mod. If we can't, I'm not sure we should bother with voiceovers at all

Comment

And writing software to take files from a SMAC installation is going to be hellish, remembering how many different language versions/localisations and reprintings of SMAC there were.
                I've already written it. It's a really simple script not rocket science, it works for Linux CD and Windows Install. (a lot of the files on the Windows CD are in a CAB)

Comment

@ Blake
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by Blake

I've already written it. It's a really simple script not rocket science, it works for Linux CD and Windows Install. (a lot of the files on the Windows CD are in a CAB)
                    For SMAC and SMAX and french/ger versions :P

This also doesn't really get around the fact that there aren't many SMAC discs about anymore

Comment

For SMAC and SMAX and french/ger versions :P
                      AFAIK most files are named the same in all versions.
                      -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                      -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I have not read this entire thread but am a huge SMAC/X fan. I had to buy a monitor capable of 800x600 because back in '99 I only had a POS 1990 VGA monitor capable of no higher than 640x480!! Anyway, my reason for posting is because of something I read on the first post. If there's gonna be an SMAC mod for Civ IV, I'm of the opinion that there is really no way around REQUIRING having the original titles. It gets the authors past any legal entanglements and keeps the quality where we expect it from Firaxis titles. Whatever that's my 2 cents.
                        Remember kids: The higher your post count or the faster your computer, the larger your penis!

Comment

Working...
                        X