Graphic problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphic problem

I'm trying to do some minor modifications to a couple pcx files for my SMAniaC mod. However when I play the game and go to the Datalinks to see if the changes work okay, the modified pics don't appear. Just an empty spot where they should be.

I always run in these kinds of problems whenever I try to changes something with the SMAC graphics. Does anyone have any idea what I did wrong this time, and how to solve it?

Below is a screenshot of the three modified pcx files. From left to right: the Transcend Academy, Quantum Computers and the Telepathic Matrix. In the post below is a zip archive with three files. Apolyton doesn't allow attaching or uploading pcx files.
    Attached Files
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

blah
    Attached Files

Comment

Without looking at the files, my first guess would be that your graphics editor changed the palette.
      "Cutlery confused Stalin"
      -BBC news

Comment

What can I do about that?
        I can't work with graphic programs, so you'd have to explain me very slowly and very simple.

Comment

I tried GIMP and it does not replace the palette. Gimp is quite capable software, some consider it as good or even better as Adobe Photoshop.
          GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program: The Free and Open Source Image Editor

and there is attached proj019.pcx. should work in the game ok.

Irfan view allows for exporting/importing palettes, but if you first modify the file which screws up the palette colors are then wrong.

Just curiosity. What that smile for Dream Twister?
          Attached Files
          Mart
          Map creation contest
          WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

If you start making huge changes to the game, separate them out and swap them with ModMan, so you don't need multiple SMAC installs. It can swap in/out .txts and other aspects, like the project graphics etc.

#play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
            #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

Telepathic matrix now looks like overused Japanese anime expressions.
              SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by mart7x5
                I tried GIMP and it does not replace the palette. Gimp is quite capable software, some consider it as good or even better as Adobe Photoshop.
                GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program: The Free and Open Source Image Editor

and there is attached proj019.pcx. should work in the game ok.
                Thanks.

I've installed GIMP now.

Just curiosity. What that smile for Dream Twister?
                With the Dream Twister the face in the picture represents a person being attacked by psi forces. In my mod I changed the secret project's name to the Transcend Academy, so now the face represents a Transcend, who of course has no reason to be unhappy, being enlightened and all that. Not a big or important change, but since I'm shuffling a whole bunch of files anyway, I thought 'why not?'.

Originally posted by Illuminatus
                Telepathic matrix now looks like overused Japanese anime expressions.

Comment

Working...
                X