SMAniaC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stuntman19
    First off thanks and congratz on making such a nice mod. I really like alot of what you have done with techs and units.
    Thanks. My pleasure.

Morgan: that -2 support has him not doing much at all in games so far. In fact in current game he's trying to run uni police to compensate with not much success.
    Yeah I agree. I tend to notice the same thing. Even I set the faction strategy towards building lots of colony pods, he still refuses to expand.

Drones: that -3 research and no research for first 5 yrs is a crippler. A nice challenge for a human player maybe, but in both games I have played they where eradicated early. Might just be bad luck with a hostile neighbor in each game(Hive and Spartans).
    I remember them beating them the crap out of everyone in one game. In another game he did nothing. It kinda varies. (In the standard game they have to wait for ten years before being able to research btw - the inherent -3 Research is in the beginning offset by the +2 Research from Technocrat elite)

Perhaps I should create some special super-AI faction files for boosted AI performance, like Aldebaran did? I guess +3 Industry, +2 Growth, halved tech costs and the techsteal ability (to keep aggressive factions like the Conclave in the tech race) should do the trick.

To improve AI performance I've created two scenarios where all AI factions have been given some satellites. Perhaps you could try these out? In the Cult game Morgan is still behaving weak, but for the others they will at least stay competitive longer than normal.

The first scenario is with the Consciousness. You can find it here.

The Cult scenario I have attached to this post. I played it a while to see how the Cult turns out with their modified fungal boni. The Cult in SMAniaC is FUN! imho

The -1 planet for the Cyborg is a good penalty for them, although seems to be missing from info in selection screen of the game.
    They don't have -1 Planet. That Planet penalty probably comes from running a Frontier society. I guess I should include a readmefirst.txt in the download, as questions about social engineering often return. (Also beware of the Talent SE factor that is used, I'll also mention then)

I'm not sure what you did with the world builder, but in my games so far the continents seem to be connected which is nice since AI has probs with sea invasion.
    It's a modified version of the Aldebaran worldbuilder. The intent is to create two or three big continents, including some high elevation terrain. These goals work somewhat against each other though, as the elevated terrain sometimes merges all continents into one big landmass.
    Attached Files
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

• Ok...thx for the scenario files. I prolly won't get to try them until the coming weekend though. I have classes starting up at University this week, overnight job Mon-Thur, plus gf B-day this week so will be fairly busy.

I think you are right about the Drones, if they can't get to better SE choice due to early game conflict, then they do poorly.

I do have one problem or possible bug with your mod I want to report to you, and hopefully you can help me with it. In a current game on the turn I complete the Secret Project Gattica(Bioh Center each base), I'm getting a terranxicd crash. I played it from the autosave(I play ironman) twice now, and each time the Secret Project movie starts to play the Cloud Base Academy Project movie. I'm not certain if the CBA Project is renamed in your mod, but I'm fairly certain it's crashing since Gattica seems to be trying to play the wrong SP movie. Have you encountered any problem like this?

Neways...when I have time I'll try your scenarios and also try and get past the crashes. Maybe just not complete the SP if I can't get around it.

Regards,
      Stuntman19

Comment

• Originally posted by stuntman19
        I do have one problem or possible bug with your mod I want to report to you, and hopefully you can help me with it. In a current game on the turn I complete the Secret Project Gattica(Bioh Center each base), I'm getting a terranxicd crash. I played it from the autosave(I play ironman) twice now, and each time the Secret Project movie starts to play the Cloud Base Academy Project movie. I'm not certain if the CBA Project is renamed in your mod, but I'm fairly certain it's crashing since Gattica seems to be trying to play the wrong SP movie. Have you encountered any problem like this?
        I keep forgetting to check this.

The cloudbase movie is the correct one for Gattaca btw. There has been a lot of reshuffling. If you don't care about seeing the movies btw (some don't match very well anyway due to the renamed projects), you could always just copy the original movlist.txt file over the new one, if that's causing the problem.

No one seems to get the Gattaca reference btw. It's a movie with a eugenetics theme. In case anyone's interested, the wikipedia link.

Comment

• I can't reproduce your problem with Gattaca I'm afraid. Works fine for me.

Comment

• I've started a few games using this mod and I like it a lot. The Pirates become mean SOB''s with this mode, I was playing as Dee and had to fight off both aliens, Lal and Miriam in the early game so I couldn't do my builder thing right off. Were about 150 years in and Sven has about 70 cities and is researching techs at about 1 every 4 turns. He also has about 5 times as many units as I do and the oceans are flooded with his battleships.

I started focusing on on green/psi combat bonus techs so I could create locust swarms and start obliterating his bases to cut down his energey productions. Just as I was starting to roll and had wiped out about 8 of his bases, the game started getting weird on me. When I would click on my cities it would show my units their, but also show units from an aposing city their also. If I tried selecting on the opposing units, all the units would completly disappear and the city would show itself as unoccupied. a few turns later it started crashing on so I had to kill the game (which sucks because I've never has such an interesting game before).

Did you change anything that determines how close everyone lands towards each other? Every game I've started I end up running into 3-4 factions within 10 squares of my home base. I'm playing on a large map so I assumed we all would be a little more spread out.

Comment

• Originally posted by ERKUTHER
              I've started a few games using this mod and I like it a lot.

Were about 150 years in and Sven has about 70 cities
              Wow. Is that without any boosts??

Just as I was starting to roll and had wiped out about 8 of his bases, the game started getting weird on me. When I would click on my cities it would show my units their, but also show units from an aposing city their also. If I tried selecting on the opposing units, all the units would completly disappear and the city would show itself as unoccupied. a few turns later it started crashing on so I had to kill the game (which sucks because I've never has such an interesting game before).
              That sucks. Have you had this before under normal SMAC, or is it the first time? Personally I've never encountered any such problem, but I've heard similar things mentioned before under normal SMAC. Perhaps it was because the Pirates had so many units??

Did you change anything that determines how close everyone lands towards each other?
              Nope that isn't possible AFAIK. The world builder is modified though and it tends towards creating maps with say two big continents, instead of eg long tracks of archipelago land all over the place as sometimes happens under normal SMAX. So with the bigger concentrated landmasses, I guess you're more likely to run into several factions earlier.

If you don't like this, you could perhaps copy the old worldbuilder over the new one in alphax.txt? Though I'd suggest to always keep the numbers that encourage shallow ocean tiles (to make life easier on the aquatic factions and improve that aspect of the game, as you seem to have noticed well ).

I'm currently working on a new faction set and super AI files for a bigger challenge btw. I should be able to update SMAniaC with a new (and probably final) version once I get over my graphics creation problems.

Comment

• That sucks. Have you had this before under normal SMAC, or is it the first time? Personally I've never encountered any such problem, but I've heard similar things mentioned before under normal SMAC. Perhaps it was because the Pirates had so many units??

I haven't run into that issue before playing normal SMAC, but I've never seen the AI have that may bases before either so I think your right and it had something to do with the extreme amount of bases.

QUOTE]Wow. Is that without any boosts??[/QUOTE]

No boosts, just any changes the mod made. It was pretty ridiculous how much energy he was generating (and wasting, alot of the bases were losing all their energy to ineffeciency).

I'm currently working on a new faction set and super AI files for a bigger challenge btw.

I'm looking forward to it

Comment

• The update is basically ready, but I'm having a little dilemma with creating my super AIs. I have two goals with these:
                  1. Make all the AIs more powerful
                  2. Make all the Ais perform more equally well, so that the same old same old don't always run away with the game, and run over the same weaker factions, eg the Morganites as mentioned in this thread.

Unfortunately these two goals tend to conflict with each other.

The aquatic factions perform *terribly* well. They always run away with the game and overpower the others. So now I'm actually reducing their bonuses a little, but that takes away from goal 1 of creating a challenging AI.

Other problems are:
                  1. the Bree build lots of sea terraformations even if fungus is more productive. And I'd like the fungal faction to keep in character by planting fungus.
                  2. the Cult seems to perform worse the more bonuses I give it. Their biggest problem is unlike all other factions as the AI they only start with one colony pod (so I discovered only a few months back). And if the stupid AI wanders a couple year with the colony pod before settling, or runs into an early worm that damages that single pod, the whole Cult game is already lost.

Comment

• The set of seven new custom factions is ready! As are the Super AIs! Download them in my link, and read the readme.txts in the original post of this thread.

Some changes to the core game have also been made. Here follows the list of major changes. Also downloadable from my signature.

Update 27/2/2006

* The Consciousness growth penalty has been replaced by a 15% penalty to psi combat.

* The formers and sea formers basic unit have been renamed AI formers and AI sea formers, made cheaper and are now super fungicidal. This is to make sure the AI can terraform more with the few formers they build. Just like with the AI Probe, you as human player are not supposed to build the AI basic units. I’d suggest to just make the designs obsolete, so they don’t clutter up your build option list. Of course don’t forget to design your own former now.

* The probe cruiser basic unit has been replaced by the ‘AI Probe Foil’, available at Centauri Hydrology. This will ensure the aquatic factions will start sending some naval probes out earlier. As with the other ‘AI’ units, you’re not allowed to build this basic unit, at least not until you have researched Information Networks.

* The ‘nuclear missile’ basic unit has been stripped of its nerve gas ability and is now a simple conventional missile. While it’s nice to see your enemies use nukes against you, it’s annoying when your AI friends also use nukes, and receive decades of sanctions. That removes the aspect of commerce, a big consideration in diplomacy with the AI. It also now has been given psi attack. That should keep them useful throughout the entire game. Though less damaging in the early game.

* Green and Anthropocentric Societies have switched places in the SE system. The effect being that the Cloning Vats now cancel the Anthropocentric instead of Green penalties. Actually I’d prefer the Cloning Vats to have no effect at all on societies, but since that’s impossible, I gather it’s better to let it effect Anthropocentric, as that SE choice becomes kinda useless anyway after building the Cloning Vats. modSE.txt, helpx.txt & Script.txt edited to reflect this change.

* Base names added to all faction files except the Conclave.

* Where possible, “The” has been added to the full faction name. Before it wasn’t streamlined. For instance The Data Angels and The Free Drones but also Human Hive and Spartan Federation…

* A readmefirst.txt with some common questions about social engineering has been added to the documentation folder.

Comment

• Anyone interested in a multiplayer game with this latest version of the SMAniaC?

I made a thread in the multiplayer forum here.

Comment

• Aargh typical.
                        The day after I upload an update, I always discover a little little problem... I discovered that the +25% fanatic attack bonus does not count in psi combat. I assumed it did. As a consequence the Templar psi attack is actually lower than the standard one, while it was supposed to be higher. This has been corrected by giving the Templar OFFENSE, 125 instead of FANATIC, 0. They've also been given robustness towards Planet penalties. The idea of that is to keep the Planet penalty of the Templar as low as possible while at the same time ensuring that they can't go positive and go capture mind worms.

For those who would have already downloaded the old customfactions.zip and Super AIs.zip, here's a little 4k zip containing the normal Templar and SAI Templar faction file. A little less time consuming to download than 3.5 MB customfactions.zip and Super AIs.zip...
                        Attached Files

Comment

• I actually do not like most of the mod civs. Balance wise they are OK, but 12 factions are already pushing the limit of validity, such as a organised hacker faction, the planet cult, etc. Whereas the original seven are perfect because they sum up so many base idealogies, the mod factions are a little bit out there. Templar\telepathic are very redundant, just IMHO. I have a few factions id rather see...
                          if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

• Well DUH!
                            Indeed the ideologies of custom factions will always seem less ideologically profound than the original seven.
                            I do hope though they can offer a different gameplay experience.
                            For example it's IMO nice to have a couple other aquatic factions than always the Pirates.

I have a few factions id rather see...
                            Do tell!

Comment

• did all the sugeested file moves and changes..nothing
                              anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

• Where did you move them?

Here's a screenie of my setup. I made of a copy of the standard SMAC folder and then moved the SMAniaC files in it. Then I have a shortcut on my desktop linking to the terranx.exe in the SMAniaC directory.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X