Announcing TurboSMAC!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just heard about this.

won't get a chance to try this until my weekend though. But it could rejuvenate my interest in SMAC.

I've done some messing around with the alpha.txt myself. But it's hard to get the right mix of balance.

Comment

actually I couldn't resist starting a quick game.

I'm actually playing a level below the difficulty level I normally play at (normally thinker), and I'm getting whooped by the Spartans. the mind worms can be nasty as well.

This mod definately offers more challenge. I started a large planet medium water, weak erosive forces and average life forms. I got kind of crowded in by the university and spartans. Both demanded money from me when I first met them. And they expanded faster than I did (though my starting position wasn't that great (no nutrients).

I rejected a spartan demand (the tech that gives hypnotic trance ability) and they declared war on me. They quickly took my capitol, but I got it back. And I conquered one of their cities. But I still only have 3 cities against their 4. And they still have impact weapons and I only have lasers.

Comment

Recently I haven't much time for SP SMAC, but I'd like to have some MP to test this mod (as well as gwillybj mod alone), preferably after the New Year's break. Will be someone interested?

Comment

I'd like to see a DG done of a SMA(C/X) mod, either a full-blown TC like Aldebaran (despite its current state of incompleteness (only in things like blurbs though)) or an simpler mod (which I expect would be more popular, as opposed to having to learn a new techtree).

Also, a possible solution to the Angel's probe team bug: Why not +1 probe and free Covert Ops centres at game start? People generally say Roze is a bit weak.
          #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
          #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

for the Angles, why not +1 probe and impunity to research?

Comment

Originally posted by #endgame
              I'd like to see a DG done of a SMA(C/X) mod, either a full-blown TC like Aldebaran (despite its current state of incompleteness (only in things like blurbs though)) or an simpler mod (which I expect would be more popular, as opposed to having to learn a new techtree).
              I'd love to CMN a "Beta Lyrae" mod SP DG. My tech blurbs are almost complete, and the replacement storyline is engaging, IMO. However, probably not going to happen due to lack of popular support. Regardless, good idea #endgame!

D

Comment

I think it'd be the best way to drum up support for a mod, and we should start trying to get support within the ACDG forums when the end of the current DG seems nigh.
                #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
                #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

My idea to drum up interst in TurboSMAC is to start a massive tounament! One of my goals is to revitalize PBEM.
                  Creator of the Ultimate Builder Map, based on the Huge Map of Planet, available at The Chironian Guild:
                  http://guild.ask-klan.net.pl/eng/index.html

Comment

When the time comes, I'll play in your tourney. NICE MOD!
                    Agent Subversion out

Comment

For some reason, the turbosmac.zip file is corrupt for me- anyone else having a problem with it?

Comment

It may be something to do with the software move. This thread is from 2004 and Apolyton has changed forum software twice since then.

Welcome, By the Way.
                        -->Visit CGN!
                        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by staticlinejumper View Post
                          For some reason, the turbosmac.zip file is corrupt for me- anyone else having a problem with it?
                          I just tried downloading it and got the message that "Decompression failed."
                          Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

When I download it, I just get a zero byte file, so it appears to have gone south. However, I still have a copy that I downloaded back in 2004. I'll attach it and see what happens.

EDIT: I still get a zero byte file when I download my attachment. This appears to be some over-zealous anti-virus or anti-malware program trying to protect me. Perhaps someone else could download the file and see what happens.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Petek; September 4, 2010, 15:38. Reason: Add information
                            "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                            -- Kosh

Comment

I got the message "Decompression failed" (using Safari and Mac OS 10.6). Could you try attaching the alphax.txt file uncompressed (although it might be easier starting a new thread at CFC and attaching the zip file there)?
                              Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

OK, I'll first try to attach the uncompressed txt files. BTW, the files I have are for SMAC, not SMAX. If DD ever made a TurboSMAX version, I don't have them. There's definitely a board-wide problem with files that were attached prior to the recent server change; apparently not all files have been migrated yet. I reported this problem with current attachments in the Site Feedback forum. There's also a problem with the archives, including the SMAC archives.

EDIT: This seems to have worked.
                                Attached Files
                                "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                                -- Kosh

Comment

Working...
                                X