Creating multiplayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating multiplayer

I'm not sure of where this thread belongs, so I apologize if it's in the wrong place. My friend and I are interested in a game where we're on separate continents, given space to develop or fight wars with the AI before taking on each other.
    Would someone be willing to create a game for us, or give me advice on how I could create such a game?
    If someone's willing to create the game, interested in average everything, directed research. I'm Morgan, he's Lal.

Thanks

This thread actually belongs in the "AC-Multiplaying" forum, but not a big deal.

Anyways I can set up a game for you. Couple questions from me:

- Just how good are you and your opponent? Reason I'm asking is I don't want to build a game thats too hard (or too easy).

- SMAC or SMAX? If SMAX, any prefrence on the remaining 5 Factions, or can I choose them?

- Do you want the AI to build Probe Cruisers? How about any other "non-standard" units?

Finally, I would discourage you from trying to just set up a PBEM using the random start generator of the computer. All too often the computer gives very unbalanced starting locations for the various human players involved. FYI.

D

Comment

Sorry about the vagueness, and misposting!

We're advanced, but rusty. We routinely play transcend and win against the stock AI, but that's no mean feat. It'll have to be SMAC, I'm SMAXless. We're new to multiplayer, made one aborted attempt at a gain but ran into each other on turn 46, and a seriously powerful/lucky Dee was between/below us.

Probe Cruisers are fine, I guess other non-standards would be fine, as long as we know what they might be.

Thanks very much!

Comment

All right. I should be able to put something together by Friday evening est.

Do you have password preferences? If so, please PM me so I can set them for you. Finally, do you just want me to attach the game file here (which means I definately would need to set the passwords first), or E-Mail it to a specific address?

As far as new/ different units are concerned: I will only include Probe Cruisers (so that the AI will build them) and speeder CP's. To facilitate the early game I will give each player 3 scouts, 3 Formers, 1 regular CP (to found your HQ with), and 2 speeder CP's (to speed up founding your next two bases). Is this acceptable?

D

Comment

Grrr, apolyton.
          I attempted to update my email address for KaPlewy, and it has now effectively locked me from posting to the forums, so I created this account.
          Darsnan, everything sounds great!
          A few modifications that I forgot about. Unity scan, and huge map.
          We will use passwords. Of course, I don't know his. We could leave both blank, and have it set on first turn. If we're on different continents, there's less incentive to cheat and find out information, since at some point we'll probably get each other's maps.
          You can email it to me at jonathan.link at gmail.com

Thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by KaTemp

A few modifications that I forgot about. Unity scan, and huge map.
            Well that bites. I took the "Average everything" to include the map, and so built a Large map.
            Oh well, I'll just use another one I'd previously built and modify it to fit. Game should be ready in a couple of hours.

D

Comment

You have my sincere apologies and appreciation!

Comment

First turn sent

Heah Ka Plewy,

here is the first turn for your PBEM game, which I have taken to calling "Best Guess" (details below). Passwords are not set at this time. First turn is for the Morganite player.

Background on this game: as the Unity entered orbit around Planet, it sent out a reconnaissance satelite to map the face of Planet. After taking a precursory orbit, which revealed the landmasses and oceans of Planet, the satelite began homing in on a specific island-continent which showed much promise as an ideal landing site. However, after taking an initial run over the island the satelite stopped transmitting.....
                Before anyone knew what was happening the University launched several landing pods and claimed the landmass for its own, and almost simultaneously the Unity experienced a fatal explosion which sent the craft into a death sprial around Planet! Much was lost to the few Factions which survived Planetfall, and now many blame the catastrophe on the University Faction!
                Armed only with what you could salvage from the Unity before its demise, as well as the partial map showing the University's landing site, you must rebuild all that has been lost to you. Will you be able to overcome the University's early advantage? Were the Uni's really responsible for the breakup of the Unity, or are there more sinister elements at work behind this? Its anyone's Best Guess!

Good Luck!

D

Comment

Working...
                X