Problem with custom base/symbol graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with custom base/symbol graphics

I've recently tried my hand at creating a new faction, and so far have only created the three graphic files containing base graphics, leader portraits, and symbols.

All was going well I thought, until I tried playing a game with them. The symbols and base graphics have a blue background in-game, for whatever reason. I have tried many times without luck to fix or find out what the problem is. I have even tried copying the base images from a default faction into my own.

Any suggestions?
    I am using Paintshop Pro 8.0, if that is of any importance.
    Attached Files

Your problem is the pallette.

The game transparency is the last color on the palette. It's often a bright violet or whatever. You'll see that there is another color on the palette that is the same. Change one of the two to an unused color and you'll be fine.
    I once was a slave to the Alderbaran 2 project!
    Now I shall work towards cIV:AC!... Oh Wait, that's dead too...
    It's Nword like 'lord' and 'sword'

Comment

The problem was, indeed, the palette.
      Though the solution was different from your own..
      The problem seemed to be that the background color was using the wrong color. After switching the background to the last color on the palette, everything was fine.

Comment

Same difference...

Glad you solved it *goes to take a look at the faction pics*

Edit: Those look great! A work to be proud of
        I once was a slave to the Alderbaran 2 project!
        Now I shall work towards cIV:AC!... Oh Wait, that's dead too...
        It's Nword like 'lord' and 'sword'

Comment

Same difference...
          Well, not quite. I tried your method at first, and it did not work.

Those look great! A work to be proud of
          Looks MUCH better now. Turns out the "Conical Spires" base set doesn't look that great in-game.
          Changed it to the far superior(IMO) "Church" set, seen in this pack: http://apolyton.net/dir/index.php?si...s=4969&cat=176
          Just finished the faction file as well, making this all the more enjoyable for me.

Comment

The 'temple' graphs are implemented in Smacksims mod. The seabase is a bit incomprehensal to me.
            He who knows others is wise.
            He who knows himself is enlightened.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Modding .PCX files again??

Hello.

Same problem here. I am trying to paste and put in a new leader pic and emblem pics for a custom faction and I have spent several hours per day trying to figure this out. I have PSP Photo X2 and have read and re-read this and TechnoMerc's post over and over and I am just dumb I guess.

I have used the last color of the palette saved from the original Gaian.pcx file (no dice) tried the last color of the palette saved by the fungboy.pcx file (no dice) and have tried several machinations inbetween. I have tried to set the Transparency layer to the background color and then view/hide it. Seems to be transparent in PSP but in-game has the blue/teal block background showing against base and the emblem.

I guess my main sticking point is what you all mean by changing the color to one that is not used??? So how do I find out what colors I have to choose from? Also Bblue writes about this as well as choosing a "unique" color but I really don't understand what he is talking about.

Does this issue arise in modding in the 2.pcx and 3.pcx files as well or can you just simply cut and paste with those??

Finally since we're on the topic I am also interested in changing the Faction and border colors but is that still dependent on changing the palette transparency then changing it back??

Sorry to bring this up after all these years but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance....
              Those aren't the droids you're looking for...

Comment

Working...
              X