Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about basic design

A lottle question about basic design editing:
    while reading aldebaran rules file i saw that they added a lot of basic design, something i thought not possible. i was quite amazed.
    Is this done by simply adding the lines, or is there some trick to be performed?

Alas, if one created a lot of basic design available at different techs, and made the weapon/armor/chassis/abilities otherwise unavailable, would one practically have disabled the unit workshop, thus creating a Civ II like game ?

and furthermore, it is possible to have a basic design unit use a 2 D graphic in the unit file rather than the 3D model? if so, how? i don't think so, however.

thanks in advance and farewell

Or to put it more plainly: is there any way to use 2D graphics so that you can massively change the outlook of a scenario?

Comment

Re: Question about basic design

Originally posted by jeibel
      A lottle question about basic design editing:
      while reading aldebaran rules file i saw that they added a lot of basic design, something i thought not possible. i was quite amazed.
      Is this done by simply adding the lines, or is there some trick to be performed?
      This is done by adding lines to the #UNITS section of the alphax.txt file.

Alas, if one created a lot of basic design available at different techs, and made the weapon/armor/chassis/abilities otherwise unavailable, would one practically have disabled the unit workshop, thus creating a Civ II like game ?
      I've never played a Civ series game, but I'm almost positive that since "basic unit designs" cannot be deleted by using the design workshop, then if you were to create enough base units via the #UNITS section of the alphax.txt file, that your statement would be correct.

and furthermore, it is possible to have a basic design unit use a 2 D graphic in the unit file rather than the 3D model? if so, how? i don't think so, however.
      The alien artifact, Battle Ogres, mw's, spore launchers, and IoD's all use a 2D graphic from a file which I cannot remember the name of off the top of my head. If its that important to you why post here to that effect and when I get home I can look up the file name for you. FYI and hope my replies help you out.

D

Comment

The graphic file Darsnan refers to is labeled 'Units.pcx'

The downside is that it appearantly can only hold 10 new graphs at the expense of removing the present ones.
        He who knows others is wise.
        He who knows himself is enlightened.
        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Personally I'm quite aware that the added units work, but in my experience prior to Aldebaran, I was never able to get them to work...
          I once was a slave to the Alderbaran 2 project!
          Now I shall work towards cIV:AC!... Oh Wait, that's dead too...
          It's Nword like 'lord' and 'sword'

Comment

So it's not possible to add even 2D graphics for new design
            Thanks everyone

Comment

Working...
            X