Creating .mp3 voices that work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating .mp3 voices that work

I know some of you may already have figured this out, but I just discovered it, and for the benefit of those who don't know, here's how to create your own .mp3 voice files:

1. You need a microphone, either built-in or external.

2. In Volume Control (to be found in Start/Programs/Accessories/Entertainment), ensure that for Playback Controls, Microphone is muted; For Recording Controls, ensure that Record Volume and Microphone Volume is all the way up. (To select between the two, go to Properties and select indicating either display for Playback or Record.) To be sure I usually open two copies of Volume Control, one for Recording and one for Playback.

3) Load windows Sound Recorder and record sound. Press stop when finished.

4) Save As: click Format:Change button.

5) for Format select "MPEG Layer-3"; for Attributes select "32 kBit/s, 11,025 Hz, Sterio 4KB/s". You may want to save this setting as, say "SMAC Voices" with Save As button. Click Ok.

6) Be sure your filename is correctly named (faction, facility or tech), with .mp3 at the end. Click Save.

And that's it! The reason that 32 kBit/s, 11,025 Hz works even though all SMAC mp3's are 64 KB/s, 22,050 Hz is that SMAC slows down all custom voices for some reason, which is why, somehow, doubling these figures brings the voices up to the correct speed in the game. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much. You're brilliant.

Comment

--Bump--

Comment

Working...
      X