Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some custom faction ideas

Hey all,

Basically I'm looking for some ideas for some 'belivable' factions for SMACX. Factions that would fairly easily fit into the established storyline and would actually have a reasonable chance of 'existing'

So far I have made a terraformer faction that I like. but the only other faction I can think of that fits the critera is maybe a 'Unity's ship crew faction'. I'm not sure there are alot of good ideas left, it looks like Firaxis was struggling with this one when they did SMACX Data Angels, Pirates, not exactly what you would expect after crash landing on another planet

Thanks

------------------
    "Power does not corrupt; it merely attracts the corruptable"

[This message has been edited by Bblue (edited December 28, 1999).]
    "Power doesn't corrupt; it merely attracts the corruptable"

In thread "SmacX mod at halfway point..." SEE had many good faction ideas. I particulary liked these:

Cortez Society: A society that seeks riches through power. Its members seek to conquer the other factions and live lives of ease off tributes.
    Eugenics Institute: The Eugenics Institue seeks to perfect mankind through genetic manipulation.
    Heirs of Terra: The Heirs seek to use the resources of Chiron to return to and reclaim Earth.
    Posthuman Collective: 1984. A society dedicated to making sure everything is done by consensus -- by brainwashing and tortuing dissenters into changing their minds.
    Symbiotic Union: A society dedicated to mental and physical union with mindworms and psychic union with each other, groping towards Transcendence.
    Utopian Alliance: Seekers of peace, friendly co-existence, and technical cooperation who hope to make Chiron a paradise.
    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

If you go around this site's files section, there are some believable files you can look at. Not everything there is off-the-wall insane.
      When you laugh, the world laughs with you.
      When you cry, the world laughs at you.

Comment

There are already a lot of human factions. On the other hand, we only have 2 alien factions. I could imagine all the variety we have in humans also present in alien factions.

E.g. The alien builder factions:
        1. Science faction (University of the Progenitors) ++research, -morale, -support,

2. Industry faction (Exploit the Manifold without aggression) ++industry, +25% defense, -growth, -efficiency

3. Economist faction +economy, ++efficiency, -support, -growth

Progenitor momentum factions (in addition to Usurpers):
        4. MindTwisters +planet, +25% in psi combat, free Brood pit at start, -research, -industry, free dissociative wave on every unit (to get around trance defense)

5. Robotic War-Factories: ++support, +industry, -efficiency, -economy, -probe, start with industrial automation

They should all get the free recycling tanks, energy grid, space survey, non-blind research and deep radard like the original progenitor factions.

I was thinking about to create a mod-pack/scenario with a different storyline: Only one human faction landed from the Unity (the player), but they dropped into the middle of the progenitor civil war, where 2 opposing sides of 3-3 factions are fighting. 3 builder progenitor factions against 3 momentum ones. This would be a real alien crossfire.

zsozso
        ::Zsozso::

Comment

Hi there,

I have been tinkering with two factions. One, which in my isolation thought was original, is a faction that wishes to terraform Planet into a new Earth. This faction is rather forceful and dedicated in its beliefs, thereby being rather agressive. It emphasizes power over knowledge and abhors green. I had called it the Earth Preserve.

The second faction is fairly laidback but will retaliate if attacked. It is faction that wants a new society on Planet unfettered by inhibitions, so that each human can attain its maximum fulfillment, be it artistic, sexual, family-based or work-based. It resents casting all humans in one mold. It favours democracy and wealth (pleasure-seekers) and strongly dislikes police states. I had called it the Eden Commune.

Take from it what you like,

Thx

Comment

check out this thread on a Progneitor faction I'm working on.

http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum13/H...tml?date=12:39
            "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

Dissociative wave on every unit is kind of exreme, isnt it? Just giving every unit the Empath Song would work just as well, without the overkill: Trance +50% D and Empath +50% O cancel each other out rather nicely. With all these alien faction ideas floating around, we could end up with some sort of mod played in a sort of inverted SMAC-X plot. The progenitor society breaks into civil war over the Manifolds; the Usurpers and the Caretakers depart for Manifold 6. The other Progenitor factions, fearing Planet Buster destruction, flee to the ravaged Earth, and try to cope with the (vastly changed) post-nuclear ecology (its been several hundred years since the detonations, and enough survived to reinstate a heavily mutated ecological balance). The faction that wants to return to Earth (cant remember the name) comes back, as well as their nemesis, which I guess would be the faction that wants to exploit Chiron... but that wouldnt make much sense, would it? Anyway, there are five Progenitor factions and two human ones... Seems like a somewhat clíched idea, but it seemed to be a good one when I thought of it. Now I'm not so sure. Feedback, anyone?

Kamchak was Here

Comment

Thanks for the replies.. I saw a few I liked, will give them some further thought and see how I want do them.

btw.. does anyone know if you can get the delayed human start (ie. Cult) by using the Cult as the template faction in the faction editor? What about the no transedence thing from the caretakers? I can't seem to locate anything in the editor or the .txt files that triggers these 'abilities'.

Also while I am here.. Do all custom alien factions always fight each other? (using the alien option in the editor)
                "Power doesn't corrupt; it merely attracts the corruptable"

Comment

Personification of the Manifold.

A faction with huge Planet bonuses, ability to thrive on the fugus, and a momentum mentality. Their objective is to drive everybody else off Chiron.

Possible Mods: +++ Planet, +2 in Fungus Nutrient, Minerals, and Energy. Starts with Xenoempathy Dome. -Growth, -Economy. +25% Fanatical Bonus. -Research. +Probe.

SE: Fundamentalist/Green.
                  Aversions: Free Market, Wealth.

Seems a little nasty. What do you think?
                  [This message has been edited by Urban Ranger (edited January 03, 2000).]
                  [This message has been edited by Urban Ranger (edited January 03, 2000).]
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

What about a faction which is average at warfare, but just kicks at diplopacy and commerce?

The Machiavelli Faction:
                    Tech: Social Psych, Ethical Calculus
                    +2 Commerce
                    x3 Council Votes (take that Peacekeepers!)
                    -1, 0, 0, 1, 1: Peaceful, builders & explorers
                    +1 Efficiency
                    +1 Probe (Diplomats make excellent spies!)
                    -1 Morale
                    -2 Support
                    Children's Creche every base (understand the value of mindbending 'em early)
                    May not choose Politics: Fundamentalist SE choice

Comment

Hmm... actually, that looks like a good Galactic Republic faction for the SWM (I'm using this instead of "Star Wars Mod" from now on)

Of course, I can't let my Republic have a positive Effic rating (they are -2), but other then that, it looks nice. I think I'll steal it. Bwa ha ha!!

(Credit where credit is due... you'll be noted for that in the readme)

Edit: While stea... er.. borrowing your above info, I noticed something:
                      +1 Probe (Diplomats make excellent spies!)
                      Yeah well, that is true, but the Probe score is actually the security of your faction. I notice that a lot of people think this simply increases probe teams. It does, but it mainly modifies the cost/sucess % of enemy probe team actions against you. Just thought I'd point that out.
                      [This message has been edited by Jasonian (edited January 03, 2000).]
                      Banned on Black Saturday in the name of those who went before him.

Realizes that no one probably remembers that event.

Comment

Regarding my own faction creation: is it possible to give an SP to a faction at the start? If so, how? Thanks for your assistance in advance.
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Regarding my own faction creation: is it possible to give an SP to a faction at the start? If so, how? Thanks for your assistance in advance.

------------------
                          Finding problems in places where none has existed before.

Comment

Working...
                          X