Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hehe. My custom faction:

Terran Confederacy

No +'s or -'s. All it gets is 25% to attack and double votes ::Grins:: 25% attack because of city-state self sufficient militas. Double votes because of equal representation. . .as in I don't like the idea of computer players being governor--veto power. This faction replaces Miriam. Sometimes I think it's over balancing already since it basicly means I double my chances of being governor (a huge huge advantage to me) AND an attack bonus to boot. Although, I classify myself as a builder.

Anyone else trying to play a neutral faction?

Comment

Busterman: Well, I didn't mean for them to be atheists! What I meant was this faction is similar to the Hive in the way that the government indoctrinates the people with propaganda so that the people would not question their rule. That's why each base comes with a free Rec Commons, reducing the number of drones(dissidents) in the population. That's also why their Social Engineering agenda is Thought Control. And what I meant when I said that they were similar to the Believers was that they are a religious faction which encourages large families, hence they have +2 Growth and can exceed Hab Complex limits by 2. And like the Believers, they are suspicious of secular science, resulting in they -2 Research. Sorry if what I said made you misunderstand!

Anyhow, I made this faction with ACEdit, (don't have the SMAC-X faction editor yet ) and replaced Morgan with them. On a huge map of planet, TI of course, I started off pretty well, expanding rapidly. I had the lead in population and wealth although my technology sucked. I managed to get elected as Planetary Governor(rush-built the Empath Guild to prevent the Gaians from getting it, they were Potent at that time). I found out that my tech was about the same as Miriam, who was also on the same island as me! I was on the island that had the Freshwater Sea and Pholus Ridge, btw. As soon as I was elected Planetary Governor, Miriam came calling. She wanted to extort money from me, which I reluctantly gave to her to prevent a war because I only had one or two Plasma Sentinels in my bases as garrison. I was running Dem/Planned to get to Pop Boom and the -3 Support really sucked. Soon, Miriam started to send Missle Infantry into my territories. I told her to get lost(she was starving one of my bases out) and she declared Vendetta. Probe Teams were useless as she was running Fundy. I soon got my ass kicked by Miriam.

In conclusion, I was getting tech at a reasonable rate despite the -2 Research due to my large population. In hindsight, I could have built Children's Creches and switched away from Demo to avoid the -2 Support.

Comment

How about Robots (the name isn't very good)

Research -2 (robots not very intellegent)
        Effiency -1 (they are a bit simple)
        Support +1 (robots dont need money or food)
        Immune to mind Control
        Police +2 (efficient Cops. has no need to riot)
        +25 % attack. Good Killers
        SE = no Democratic (atleast)

------------------
        Cthol
        Datalinks
        -Cthol
        Kropotkin="Finland=lunie"
        ppl="I don't get it..."
        Kropötkin="i sort of said that some newbie must be a lunie. since he was from finland."

Cthol; your sig just get's lunier and lunier everytime i see it
        Kropotkin

ProvostB, are you my sister. .
        connorkimbro

HA HA HA HA HA HA H(ãMing 1999, All rights reserved)

i love ming! ProvostB

<I>This is...A true example of a signature that is:
        1. Way too long
        2. Complete rubbish

Comment

"The Terra-Nova Project"

"The Unity was not a research vessel. We did not travel for 40 years to come to Chiron and cower underground. We came on a colony ship, to create a new world. And this is what we shall do."
          - Chief Jonathan Candau
          "The Terra-Nova Manifesto"

Basically, the terraformer faction that Firaxis was considering. Would gain forming bonuses (this can be set), and former special abilities free with prerequisite techs. Would suffer from a planet penalty, as they wish to resape Planet, rather than be shaped by it. Would never refer to it as "Planet" only as "Chiron".

Comment

dante: you should probably factor in a -1 or -2 efficiency rating because of the Hive's inefficiency in controlling its people. fanatic caombat bonus too?

-Parker

Comment

Why not create the faction? Only thing is, you will not be a BIG power nation with -Indust. Unless you plan to tinker with other bonus items. Just a thought.
              I am trying to find someone to test my faction. I want it to be balanced. Not to strong, as to spoil game. I have played it to death. Need someone else different game play? Interested? 11/10/99 it will be sent here first, then about 4 other sights. Called Herer.zip. About the Author Jack Herer. There is a lot more, but....

Originally posted by Dalton on 10-19-1999 01:51 PM
              Faction idea.

Faction: Rainbow Warriors
              Gaian splinter group, with militaristic focus. (Think Greenpeace...)

Planet: +1
              Morale: +1
              Support: +1
              Industry: -1
              Research: -1

is intent on not letting Planet be destroyed like Earth was. Working with the Planet requires passive and unobtrusive methods, but dealing with humans requires direct and sometime hostile interaction.
              The Rainbow Warriors take thier name from a famous ship an Earth environmental activist group used in the 20th century. With this ship they took the battle for the salvation of earth's ecosystem to the descecrators.
              sees the attempts that were made as the model, but is convinced they did not escalate the engagement enough.

This faction is intent on projecting thier views on all of planet, hence the Support bonus. They feel they are the might of Planet and are prepared to defend Planet with their life (+1 Morale).
              Due to the number of member of the faction involved abroad Industry and Research tends to lag.

...Dalton

------------------

Comment

>If we're looking at factions, then what about the Neo-Romans, led by Gaius Flavius.

Some good ideas there Herewiss, but bare in mind you can't have more than 8 combined society effects, bonus facilities or starting units. See the 'red' changes possible in ACEdit, that'll give you a fair indication of what counts towards the maximum of 8. Keep it simple; I usually stick to no more than 4 society effects, 6 in rare cases.

Comment

If we're looking at factions, then what about the Neo-Romans, led by Gaius Flavius.

-1 Econ (slave labor)

-1 Efficiency (far flung bereaucracy)

+1 Morale (doughty troops)

+1 Support (excellent logistical skills)

+1 Police (Empire)

+1 Growth (immigration, moving to cities, etc.)

-1 Planet (mild exploitation, eco ignorance)

-1 Probe (cosmopolitan pop easy to inflitrate)

0 research (smart but not curious)

+2 industry (heavy builders)

While this may seem unbalanced, I'd also add a 1/2 psych modifier clause. Meaning that everything you use to control drones is only half as useful. This means that the Neo-Romans would have to invest in bread and circuses :-) more heavily than everyone else. Do you think this might balance it out a little?

I have no idea how you'd do this, but I'd also like to give the Neo-Romans a bonus in road/mag-tube building. But I'm guessing that's written into the program as unmodifiable per enhancement.

I think they'd also get a Commerce boost because of the vastness of their empire or something.

Aversions and preferences is something else though. I _think_ they wouldn't like Fundy (anti-christian);-) But I never play Fundy so I'm not sure how hard a blow that would be. Preference? Wealth? Planned? I'm not sure.

I'm a little at sea over starting techs and possible free base facilities too.

Well that's basically it. I _hope_ I'm not making a hopelessly overbalanced faction, but I did want to create something historically accurate (or close to). All comments would be appreciated.

------------------
                  "As an adolescent, I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty
                  and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life--so I became I
                  scientist. This is like becoming an Archbishop so you can meet girls."

Matt Cartmill

"As an adolescent, I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty
                  and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life--so I became I
                  scientist. This is like becoming an Archbishop so you can meet girls."

Matt Cartmill

Comment

"I _think_ they wouldn't like Fundy (anti-christian);-)"

"Fundy" isn't about Christians per se, it is about religon. The Romans were very religous. They had a very advanced complicated religon.

Tim
                    I have no living enemies!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim_Hobbit on 11-04-1999 01:27 PM
                      "I _think_ they wouldn't like Fundy (anti-christian);-)"

"Fundy" isn't about Christians per se, it is about religon.
                      Tim
                      Well, the standard flavor text the computer players will use assumes that you're a fundamentalist of a monotheistic religion with an all-powerful masculine deity.

Which has really been bugging me, since the faction I'm currently testing is supposed to be a fanatically religious group that believes in acheiving collective godhood through symbiosis with mindworms. (That is, they're trying to achieve Transcendence). (So, Fundie/Green/Knowledge -- they get impunity from the Fundie research penalty.)

So, I've got a Fundie group, but their religion is such that they and the Lord's Believers should be archenemies, hating each other more than either of them hate anyone else on Planet. But the diplomacy engine assumes that any two Fundie groups get along...

Comment

make a xenomorph faction, that is, a faction based on the aliens from the Alien series, must have extensive knowledge on the xenomorph.

Comment

Wow, almost an eight year gap between posts in a thread. Wonder if that is a Poly record?

Comment

I was thinking of making a really vanilla faction.

Colonial Confederation

"The true key to humanity's survival is flexible adaptability. The be flexible is to have a core center to beliefs able to be implemented with any challenges that appear. This is how we are to survive."
                            -- John Fillmoore, "The Last Colony"

Robust Police State
                            Robust Fundamentalism
                            Robust Power
                            Robust Green
                            Robust Free Market
                            Robust Planned
                            Free Tech: Centauri Ecology
                            Free Unit: Supply Crawler

I have reservations about the robust Free Market Planned and Green, but that all comes up to +1 of whatever SE you are losing, with the exception of Free Market which you are given a lot. I like Police State and Fundy because people tend to not use them a lot. Power I'd give it instead of Knowledge and Wealth. The tech because its not immediately offensive and the crawler for fun.

Yes! This thread has been bumped!

Comment

Unified Talents

Leader: High Talent Philip Anderson
                              Background: Unity Personnel Officer
                              Agenda: Objectivist Meritocracy
                              Free Tech: Social Psych

+1 Research (Intellectual elite)
                              +1 Economy (Powerful business interests)
                              -2 Police (Mistrust of authority)
                              Robust Probe (Highly individualistic)

Preference: Free Market
                              Aversion: Fundamentalism

Haven

Leader: First Citizen Ricardo Vega
                              Background: Unity Chief of Psychiatry
                              Agenda: Immigrant Democracy
                              Free Tech: Ethical Calculus

-1 Probe (Open society)
                              -1 Morale (Pacifist tendencies)
                              -2 Economy (Poor economic infrastructure)
                              Free Hab Complex at each base with discovery of Industrial Automation
                              Can exceed Hab Complex/Habitation Dome limit by 2

Preference: Democracy
                              Aversion: Power

Technocrat Union

Leader: Controller Akio Yuuhi
                              Background: Unity Security Technician
                              Agenda: Technocratic Authoritarianism
                              Free Tech: Applied Physics, Information Networks

+1 Research (Strong technology base)
                              +1 Police (Strong political control)
                              -2 Growth (Little freedom)
                              No penalties for Fundamentalist politics
                              Robust Support
                              Free Genejack Factory with discovery of Retroviral Engineering

Preference: Thought Control
                              Aversion: Democracy
                              Last edited by Quadhelix; December 1, 2008, 15:00.

Comment

Working...
                              X