Scenario Editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenario Editor

I have a map made, but can't seem to get the faction bases made. I tried creating a colony pod for the factions, but can't get them to activate to issue the build order. What am I doing wrong?

1) Turn off Editor Only mode (toggled with Ctrl-Shift-F10). This option can be toggled from the Edit Map menu.

2) Switch to the faction that you want to "play" (i.e., the one with colony pod(s)) by pressing Shift-F3. Can also be done from the Scenario menu.

HTH.

SMAC n ... Ted S.

Comment

when I choose to play ALL in scenario editor, the game turns it into a multiplayer hotseat game, which jamms the load scenario, save scenario, I must restart the scenarioeditor, I´ve got the 3.0 version. Where should I report this?

Comment

So tfs99, there wasn't another way.
        IIRC, MSL, you can switch back and forth between Play mode anbd Edit only mode.

I had to be careful with Sh+F3, coz at first it made me scramble play order when I reverted to ALL. It could be mastered and turned to a bonus tho, I shall work on it.

If only we could drag&drop units.....

I still miss tho the standard build up of Base-RabbitPod-Scout

MoSe
        -Practicing as amateur CMN
        I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

Editing posts it's nice, but I would't go thru that for a minor single typo (anbd-and)

{cPost++}

Comment

>>>>> MariOne (re: there wasn't another way)

Not sure what you are trying to say! I have only found the one way of creating pod and shifting to play mode and creating a base. Did I imply something different?

>>>>> (re: Scenario Editor interface and usability)

I think anyone who has _REALLY_ tried to create _SCENARIOS_ (and not just maps) shares the opinion that a much better job could have been done here.

Some prime examples:

- No Drag and Drop of already placed units

- No right click context menus

- No ability to directly create a base on the map (a biggie)

- Awkwardness selecting morale and player for units placed

- Pain in the butt way of assigning default techs to factions (another biggie)

- The, oops, I just started the game running with all computer factions, there goes all my work down the drain! As the computer merrily moves all of the units you so carefully placed. (A personal favorite)

- Having shortcut function keys for certain things, but then being forced to complete the input with the mouse

- The bug where the mouse gets "stuck" so you have to click on the map before you can click on Menu or the Scenario palette

- The bug where the mouse gets "stuck" in Paint Mode so it paints whether you have a button down or not (maybe this is a feature?)

- Inability to remove randomly placed resources (but you can remove randomly placed pods!)

- No way to adjust how many resources and pods get randomly placed

And of course the wonderfully complete and easy to understand documentation. Would have helped if they had at least provided a simple example of a step-by-step scenario creation.

But I rant and digress. It's still fun. But a lot of pitfalls for the newbie Scenario Creator.

SMAC n ... Ted S.

Comment

Still waiting for a reply to my question

Comment

BETTER BB SW MY BIG A$$!!!!
                IN FIRAXIS FORUM, SUBMITTING A POST, WHEN I FORGET TO TYPE IN MY ID, I CAN HIT "BACK" AND FIND ALL THAT I WROTE STILL THERE!!!!
                HERE I'LL HAVE TO RETYPE IT FROM SCRATCH!!!
                THIS IS A MAJOR (I SAID M A J O R!) DOWNSIDE OF THIS IDUNNAWHY SOMUCHPRAISED APOLYTON FORUM!!!

Now, retype it:

Sorry MilopSL...
                I'd say, in Firaxis Troubleshooting forum!

And yes Ted, I found that awkward way too, and I was hoping (since you have tried it much more extensively and in depth than I did) that you could pop up with a smarter way. The fact you didn't sadly implied for me that it was the only one way...

Some of what you listed I didn't notice yet.. you're not giving me good news

And I could add, I couldn't pick which kind of resource I was placing. Or could I chang'em somehow afterwards?

MariOne
                (aka MoSe)

Comment

>>>>> MariOne (re: missing name and pw)

Just setup your prefs to remember your name and pw for a year in a browser cookie and you'll never have that happen again.

Note: this feature actually works here, but not at alpha.owo.com.

>>>>> MariOne (re: Scenario Editor)

Repeated Ctrl-Left-Clicking on the resource will cycle through the three different kinds.

And another pain-in-the-butt that I forgot to post earlier:

- You have to "reset the factions" before they will have the default social engineering plusses and minuses. Otherwise you end up with all "plain vanilla" factions.

cousLee was bitten by this when he had to redo his 1 Lee St. CMN game. And I must say, my first time, I selected that option with some fear and trepidation thinking it would wipe out all faction related stuff I had already setup (e.g., units, bases, techs, etc.).

This is prime example of where a step-by-step recipe for a simple scenario build in the docs would have been most helpful. Maybe Firaxis could put in a scenario building readme.txt in their next patch. Actually, maybe I'll just do it and post it in the forums.

SMAC n ... Ted S.

[This message has been edited by tfs99 (edited May 09, 1999).]

Comment

Why I can create only flat terrain ?
                    can't create hill at all !

Comment

Ah, wait!! Let's not forget the incredibly stupid way that you have to rename factions and their descriptions: by starting up the scenario and saving it for each faction whose related text descriptions you want to change!!!

-Deathstar4

------------------
                      That's no moon......
                      --------------
                      That's no moon......
                      --------------

Comment

Working...
                      X