Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I find earth map for SMAC (and would it be good for Civ IV)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I find earth map for SMAC (and would it be good for Civ IV)?

Hi folks!

In this thread (http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...93#post3094354) I am making an argument about why I think SMAC engine is inadequate for describing earth geography.

It has been a long time since I played SMAC. But I would like to know if there is an earth map for SMAC I can download, and where? I want to see if I am right or wrong.

And if you want to join the discussion about Civ IV, please do so in the thread I linked to.

I think there are several earthmaps floating around out there. I'll give you mine. It isn't perfect, but it is decent. I'll even throw in a map of Europe that I made, in case you get a hankerin' for a WWII scenario.

They are both in the zip file attached below.
    Attached Files
    Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

Thanks much!

Comment

Something's not right. I've got "earthmap.net", not .zip.

What do I do with it? I have vanilla SMAC (not SMAX).

Comment

/me points at signature.
          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Wha? earthmap.net? I don't get it, when you click on it, you should be directed to an Apolyton advertisement page, after which you'll see something pop up that asks if you want to save file earthmap.zip from apolyton.net. Maybe that's where you are confused? I'm pretty sure it is a regular zip file. And I also play vanilla SMAC. Are you having problems downloading it or opening it?
            Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

Da li si provjerio link u potpisu od Maniaca? Earthmap.net? To je nekakva reklama. Nadam se da si prièekao 15 sekundi. Ponekad ako ne prièekaš petnaest sekundi program te ne odvede do datoteke. Najbolje radi link u potpisu Maniaca u svakom sluèaju - odvede te odmah do filea.

For english speakers: Chance like this occurs very rarely on Apolyton. Summary: use Maniac's link
              Last edited by Illuminatus; June 25, 2004, 05:35.
              SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Downloading that attachment simply doesn't work for me. Perhaps it's because I use Opera, perhaps it's Apolyton playing games on me. I'll try via Maniac's signature, though for that I first have to turn signature showing on.

Čestitke prvom emperoru iz Hrvatske
                Sad piči na deity

Comment

Downloaded. Thanks Maniac.

The map looks terrible as far as realism goes

It's small too. Zeiter is your map bigger? If so can you email it to me?

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                    The map looks terrible as far as realism goes
                    Really? In what way?

Comment

/me starts sulking...

And all the effort I put into it...
                      He who knows others is wise.
                      He who knows himself is enlightened.
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac

Really? In what way?
                        Mountains
                        Nothing wrong with the layout of continents, but SMAC engine is simply not suited to do mountains. Look at Chile for example.

Comment

Yeah I know.
                          But if a Civ4 map engine (I read in Civ Games General/Future why you're asking this) would allow height differences of more than 1000 metres, then I think something like we have in SMAC could be used after all (with of course the necessary modifications to fit terran vegetation more etc).

Comment

Yeah, I'll email it to you. I made my map huge, so I hope you like it. Although some of the climatology is different (the persian gulf area turned out really wet because of the himilayas and Afgan highlands to the east. Nothing I can really do about SMAC's climate engine.)

My e-mail is katana52@lycos.com. You can e-mail me, and then I'll reply to you with the map. Put something in the subject heading like "earthmap" so I don't think it is spam and delete it.

Comment

Done.

Comment

Working...
                              X