Playing a SMAX faction in SMAC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing a SMAX faction in SMAC?

Hi there, I was wondering if it was possible, by editing some files, to mess around with some of the SMAX factions with plain old SMAC? I'm having trouble finding SMAX, and buying it online is gonna be a lonnnngg term project (*cough credit card problems cough*), so I was wondering if I someone could help me out... esp with the CyCon faction. thanks.

Crimson Sunrise posted Alien Crossfire factions in regular edition:

I thought there was more discussion of this. I did three or four searches and scanned several pages of thread titles, then I looked through everything I saved on my PC (from websites and the alt.games.firaxis.alpha-centauri newsgroup), but found nothing on this topic.
    (As you've already bumped that thread, it is a good place to pick up and continue the subject.)
    I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Okay. Someone gave me the files... now what?

I sorta halfway got em to work... but not really. >_<

help?

Comment

Umm, as far as I know:

- Search in the alpha.txt file to the faction paragraph (almost completely down the file). And change one of the factions names to the cyborg name.
        - Copy the .txt, .tmp, .pcx files in the SMAC root folder, and copy the .mp3 in the voices folder.

If that doesn't do the trick, it might be that the 'steal tech' ability is the problem.
        What is your problem actually, you didn't described it?
        He who knows others is wise.
        He who knows himself is enlightened.
        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I got rid of the steal tech, and changed Lady Orange into it... but it still has the Miriam music (but that music is kinda neat... seems different than most of the other factions...) and its still orange... O_o

Comment

Thus only the faction color is wrong?

Might that the colors in SMAC are hardcoded then.
            I don't know the file that handles that.

But at least you can play with it.
            He who knows others is wise.
            He who knows himself is enlightened.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the colors are hard coded in SMAC, as the color setting boxes and stuff down at the lower left hand corner of the factionname.pcx file is new for SMAX. The color schemes are probably in the standard SMAC order, so if you want a different color, change the faction you are replacing.

Comment

Working...
              X