How do I disable Monoliths? Thanks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I disable Monoliths? Thanks!

I was wondering if it was posible to disable monoliths, without getting rid of pods... how would I do that? Thanks!

I think each time a military unit goes over a monolith, that monolith should supposedly have a 1 in 32 chance of vanishing. However, I've never seen that event happen, so I'm not sure if it ever does.
    Known in most other places as Anon Zytose.
    +3 Research, +2 Efficiency, -1 Growth, -2 Industry, -2 Support.
    http://anonzytose.deviantart.com/

Comment

I mean in Alpha.txt or something

Comment

I don't think it's possible in Alpha.txt, only in the scenario editor.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

...although if you made it "buildable" by formers in Alpha.txt, perhaps it would be possible to remove them in-game by building something else.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

TimeTraveler, I've seen monoliths disappear.

I haven't played SMAC in ages, but I do remember in a few games my cities made the monoliths disappear. I mean, the monolith is there for like 50 turns or so, then the next turn it disappears. This happens randomly, IIRC.

As for the military units, I think I've seen it disappear once, with an Elite unit. Forgot if it was my unit or the enemy's unit though.
            Geniuses are ordinary people bestowed with the gift to see beyond common everyday perceptions.

Comment

The Map Editor portion of the Scenario Editor is indeed where they come from initially and they can be removed there as well. There is also some kind of switch in there - 'Toggle Beacons and Resources' maybe -('Beacons' are the ScenEd's name for monoliths) which did some strange things when I was messing with it recently. IIRC, I was using a map someone else had created and when that switch was toggled one way, I was unable to remove any of the resource bonuses they had put there, only ones I had done (there were no monoliths/beacons on this map, so I don't know if they would have behaved that way too).

I believe that you can change the production values of monoliths in the Alpha(x).txt file, but I don't suppose that is what you are interested in doing.

Making Monoliths produce 0,0,0 would turn them into permanently bad tiles, kind of reversing their standard beneficial status. Presumably they would still do the other stuff though.

Comment

If you're concerned about monoliths popping up from Unity pods, you can "save" prior to opening the pod, then load if a monolith appears.

As for the non-pod monoliths, they all are placed at the beginning of a game. I suggest you create whatever random map you desire, then export or save it. Open it in the scenario editor, remove all the monoliths.

Presto, you have a complete monolith free game, as long as you do the "save and reload" trick with the Unity pods.
                Geniuses are ordinary people bestowed with the gift to see beyond common everyday perceptions.

Comment

Working...
                X