No announcement yet.

Question about growth and editing factions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am having fun with ACDG and SW:Kotor and not having fun with some educational assignements.
    Currently all work on my mod is halted.
    SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Solved problem! But another is at hand. When I try any of custom faction graphics the unit status layout is transparent. This is very annoying. Help?
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by obstructor
        Solved problem!
        How did you do it?

But another is at hand. When I try any of custom faction graphics the unit status layout is transparent. This is very annoying. Help?
        Have a look in the left lower corner of your borgfaction.pcx. Does it show the faction, text, border and vehicle colours there like it does for all other factions?
        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Glad to hear the "borg" problem is solved.
          Geniuses are ordinary people bestowed with the gift to see beyond common everyday perceptions.

Comment

And works with -13 growth

Comment

Originally posted by obstructor
              Solved problem! But another is at hand. When I try any of custom faction graphics the unit status layout is transparent. This is very annoying. Help?
              If the unit status layout is transparent, are your basenames and/or baseflag transparent as well?

At a time I went through hell to find a neutral color on the sea background, but couldn't find it for the base flags. If you know how to do that, I would be gratefull to know this trick

Anyway, for your problem. Do you mean the small unit screen in a base screen? Or I'm I mistaken?
              He who knows others is wise.
              He who knows himself is enlightened.
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

obstructor,
                The SMAX color schemes are defined in the bottom left of the FactionName.pcx file. SMAC didn't use this system (as the factions were fixed and I suppose hardwired to the standard color schemes), so there are some faction.pcx files out there with nothing in that space - that will get you that semi-transparent look (it would be appropriate for a faction like the Angels who specialize in spying ). I haven't done this myself, but have looked into it on a few occasions - I understand that it is as 'simple' as duplicating that area from a SMAX faction.pcx file into yours. I assume that one could set new colors by changing the interiors of those little boxes. This all presupposes that you have the appropriate software and knowhow to properly edit one of those files (I understand that inserting the correct palette is an important element also) - but you most likely know more about this than I do. I believe that there are some older (and some not so old) threads in this forum that at least touch on how to do this. Once you figure it out, perhaps you could share your exact method with us as IIRC, the instructions I have seen to date often presuppose a substantial familiarity with the necessary technique.

Comment

I think there's free trial versions of Photoshop or PaintShop Pro around that might help with this graphic stuff. I remember downloading a free trial version so I could use it to modify my Civ3 graphics.

This might work with SMAC. But again, it has been almost forever since I played it, so I'm not sure exactly. I'm just an friendly spirit trying to help.
                  Geniuses are ordinary people bestowed with the gift to see beyond common everyday perceptions.

Comment

Thank you for friendly suggestion - will try this at later date.

Comment

Working...
                    X