Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those little slide shows in the diplomacy screen...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those little slide shows in the diplomacy screen...

Where are they, and how do a modify them?
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Those are the faction.flc files.
    Go to http://www.networknode.org/ [the networknode].
    In the left-side navigation, click Downloads.
    Get the Fast Movie Processor.
    A freeware program to create .flc files. These is the format needed for the little blue datalinks movies. By Gromada Software. (Windows only)
    You will download q_fmp.zip which extracts to fast movie processor.exe which is the installer for Fast Movie Processor, version 1.44.
    I downloaded it a while back, but have not yet tried it.
    I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Okay, thanks, I'll try that.

Comment

Hmm...it is able to display the pre-existing .flcs, up to frame eleven, then locks up -- does anyone know why this would be the case?

However, it is able to stitch together a bunch of frames, and do it in a manner that the game can handle, so I'll call it a good thing.

Comment

Okay, at the time I said that, the frames were actually a mess, but they were moving, and I could (mostly) figure out what they were, so I chalked it up to skipping setting the colors to the game palette.

Well, since then, I have set the color to the game pallette, but now everything looks worse. Is there yet another palette I have to use, or am I doomed to something akin to greyscale?

Comment

I just discovered my PSP8 came with another program, Animation Shop 3. You would think I'd pay attention to what I was installing...

Aaaaanyway, after some additional work, I'm still not sure what the problem with the .flcs are. I scooped up a dozen frames and put them on a single canvas to do a color count, and came up with 120 colors -- so the problem certainly isn't a reduced color depth. They're not all shades of blue, either, so it's not a colorized conversion from greyscale, which is what I wrongly suspected. So, I'm left with (maybe) an alternate palette, that I can't seem to find.

Anybody out there have luck with these things?

Comment

Throw me a line, guys?

Comment

I'm listening

I installed the FMP and fiddled with it a little, but I'm in the middle of some other editing and testing Plus I'm not sure I have anything to work with to make even a test flc.

The colors in the "slide shows" for the faction leaders do appear to be a bluish-grey-scale. With PSP (I don't have the newest version), try colorizing and adjusting the RGB of your images before applying the SMAC palette. Colors>GreyScale first, then Colors>Adjust>RGB (0 red, +20% green, +50% blue), then apply the SMAC palette: Colors>Load Palette (Nearest Color).

hth
                I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Thanks -- I'll try that next.

In other news, it appears that if you try to cram too many frames into the .flc, the game's player (whatever it is) will only show the first frame -- dosen't impact the rest of the game, AFAIK, but it does mean that you have to control the urge to have a neverending .flc if you want to see beyond the start of it.
                  Last edited by The Mad Monk; January 13, 2004, 10:46.

Comment

Special .FLC Palette

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                    Okay, at the time I said that, the frames were actually a mess, but they were moving, and I could (mostly) figure out what they were, so I chalked it up to skipping setting the colors to the game palette.

Well, since then, I have set the color to the game pallette, but now everything looks worse. Is there yet another palette I have to use, or am I doomed to something akin to greyscale?
                    Hay Mad Monk--

This is my first post on Apolyton, but I've been working on this very thing this week for my SMAC mod, and I think I can help with your prob.

The game palette ain't the .flc palette.

Networknode.org has a fix posted, tho you may have missed it, since it's buried in with other instructions:

If you can't load this photoshop pallette you need to extract a pallette from this .pcx file - thanks to Jon Thomas for the idea!
                    (http://www.networknode.org/downloads/sample-pcx.zip)

Download this file, extract the palette, and yer off! Worked for me.

(I used both the duotone, then ratched up the blue in RGB Variations before scanlining. Tho I PS on Mac, but PC for SMAC.)

Good Luck!!

GFC
                    "The first rule of Girlfight Club: No one gossips about Girlfight Club. That means you, Sheryl."
                    -----------------------------
                    Girlfight_club of Toliman has authorized a secret project, "The Planetary Datalinks": http://planetarydatalinks.hub.io

Comment

Working...
                    X