Recurrent crash on year 2450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recurrent crash on year 2450

I've been playing SMAC for years, and was happy to discover that GOG had it up for cheap. I bought it and started a new game, as the Gaians. Have experienced no problems, until this. On year 2450, as soon as I hit Turn Complete, the game crashes. I'm playing on Windows 8, but GOG claims that the SMAC it has available for download is compatible with Windows 8. I haven't yet played through another game to see if it will have a similar issue, but I plan to do so. I've attached the save from that turn. gaiawrath.zip

I'd be super grateful to anyone who can help me figure this out.

I bet it's the north pole bug. You might try the scientificIffic patch http://alphacentauri2.info/index.php...ownloads;cat=2
    AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
    JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

If by scientificIffic you mean scient's patch (can't link since I have <20 posts) then I already have it. If that's not the patch you meant then I apologize - I haven't done much in the realm of SMAC patching/modding. Thanks for the prompt response though!

Comment

No sweat. I'm pointing some people into that sort of thing here - you'll get help in the next 24, I expect.

No pasarán

Comment

Yitzi sez:
          I tried it, no crash. Also no crash in Kyrub's version, so it's not a bug that I fixed (though it might be a bug that Kyrub fixed.) If he has SMAX, see if it crashes for him with my patch (Kyrub's added a bug that mine fixed); if it does, I don't know what it is (unless it's one of the other files causing the problem.)
          kyrub's version incorporates scient's bugfixes as of a few years ago. (The scientIfic version at the link is more recent - less than a year.) Yitzi's incorporates kyrub's.

scient focuses on bugs, kyrub on AI enhancement, and Yitzi mods the game itself. Which is best for you depends on how much bugs trouble you, and whether you like things like nerfed choppers...

No pasarán

Comment

Works fine for me - have Planetary pack. I think that I can remember something about the GoG version not being patched. Try looking here :

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Yeah, I've been playing with SMAX, sorry if I was unclear!

Tried it with kyrub's patch and it still crashed, but on my second try with Yitzi's patch it didn't crash! Thanks for the help!

Comment

I tried to open it with SMAC, but when it said it was a multiplyer game and wanted a password, I gueesed it was SMAX

Sad to hear that you are going to loose more sleep
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Does EVERY game crash in year 2450, or just one of them?

If it's just one, I bet it's the volcano rising. I had a handful of games that would keep crashing on one year, until I went back like 20 years in an autosave, and then it didn't crash and instead the volcano rose. Apparently some gamestates interact badly with the volcano and crash the game.

Comment

Working...
                  X