navy probe team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• navy probe team?

I'm in an interesting situation at the moment, where I'm sabre rattling with a largely nautical faction. It's not the Pirates, but the Spartans. For some reason the A.I. had them concentrate on sea power. Bad landing site, my guess.

Anyway, can I equip a foil with probing equipment, and perhaps give it a high pressure hull, so sneak into a Spartan harbor and snoop around their data links? Basically a spy sub?

I've never successfully used probe gear on anything other than infantry. I tried it on a jet once and it failed miserably.

Thanks in advance,

MapGuy

Probe Foils are standard practice around here. Probe Tanks are not unheard of. Probes don't work well, if at all, on any aircraft.
    A Probe Sub is a step better in MP, but only against the human players; the AI is known to be fully aware of all of your units.
    I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Yep, the AI sees your units, so don't bother with any hulls or cloaking devices. What you can do is stop your probe foils in at the farthest reachable distance (i.e. 4 tiles without MCC) and probe from there on the next turn. If the AI doesn't have any ships in that area, it will not move out or block in any way.

Comment

Units with the Cloaking Device or the Deep Pressure Hull are still discoverable in MP, just like hidden units in fungus where if you try to move in the hidden units will show up?

Comment

Originally posted by 551262 View Post
          Units with the Cloaking Device or the Deep Pressure Hull are still discoverable in MP, just like hidden units in fungus where if you try to move in the hidden units will show up?
          Yes, and they will show up when they bump into you.

Would someone clarify whether they show up when you move adjacent (not yet attempting to enter their space) will that expose them (and the reverse; when do they show up when they are moving?)
          Last edited by gwillybj; August 25, 2013, 18:23. Reason: a related question
          I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Just tested it. On water, there is no issue as there is no ZOC there, so you can swim by a submarine and not notice anything. On land, however, cloaked units still have ZOC although they ignore one themselves, so you see them if you try to move through their ZOC.

When subs or cloaked units move past you in their turn, you don't see anything until you try to move into their square or in their ZOC in the case of land.

Comment

Working...
            X