Q re: "Instruct unit to return to base"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q re: "Instruct unit to return to base"

In the base management screen one has the option of recalling unites to their home base. I have just successfully concluded a war and it's time to "bring 'em home." However, will the AI handle the command correctly? I'm worried about air units. Will the AI plot out an appropriate course for a jet or copter to make short jumps between bases along the way, or, will it instruct the unit to make a bee-line for their home base? If it does the later, most of my jets will end up decorating the landscape, and obviously I don't want that.

I'm not concerned about ground units; they will find their way home eventually.

Thanks in advance,

MapGuy

As you said: the air units will need your help to get back; the land units will show up at home.
    I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Are you running one of the unofficial patches? If not, there's a bug as described here:

[BUG] Using "Go to home base" (shift-g) command sends the unit to closest base rather than it's actual home. Patch retrieves unit's home base and sets a "go to" waypoint similar to how a unit is recalled from within base UI. If a home base cannot be found (independent) the unit will go to the nearest base.
      scient's unofficial patch, from which the above quote is taken, fixes the bug and may be found here. Other unofficial patches, all of which contain scient's patch, may also be found at the same site.
      "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
      -- Kosh

Comment

Hmm... I'm running stock SMAX w/Win98 update, no unofficials. I've never experienced that bug.
        Land units go home (unless they're on an unconnected land mass, in which case they just sit there blinking at me). Sea units go home (same exception as land units; unconnected sea: blinking). Air units will go as far as they can toward home and crash if they can't make it.
        Never thought of it as a being bug, seems normal to me.
        I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

I'll try to find where this alleged bug was described. It's probably in the "Fixing SMAC bugs" thread in this forum.
          -- Kosh

Comment

While we're on this subject, if I have say, 12 active units on one square, how do I tell them all to go to a particular square?

Comment

OK, I found the description here, beginning at post #113. Recalling land units by issuing the order from the unit's home base screen wasn't bugged. The problem occurred when trying to issue the command from the unit's action menu or using the shift-g hotkey.
              -- Kosh

Comment

Originally posted by 551262 View Post
                While we're on this subject, if I have say, 12 active units on one square, how do I tell them all to go to a particular square?
                You should be able to do so by using the Assemble Group and Group go to commands from the unit action menu. In practice, these commands aren't very intuitive (and Group go to only seems to be able to send units to bases). You also run into problems if the grouped units have different movement points or different pathing algorithms.
                -- Kosh

Comment

@Petek: Wow, did I mess up! Having a game in progress, I tried the various methods and experienced just as you reported. I guess I just so rarely use shift-G that I never noticed it. I use the in-base order unit to come home all the time. After 12 years of playing the game and reading the forums, I should have known this.

Comment

Originally posted by gwillybj View Post
                    After 12 years of playing the game and reading the forums, I should have known this.
                    One explanation could be your memory

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                    X