No announcement yet.

Intriguing or unusual game experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intriguing or unusual game experiences?

Have you ever had a SMAC game where things took a totally unexpected turn, and the game resolved in a way you could have never anticipated?

The flakiness of the AI is well documented, but even so it can pull a surprise on you. For me, such an experience was what I called the “Sneaky Sisterhood.”

In this game, I was playing the Believers, because sometimes it’s fun to play a raving lunatic. I was using one of the large official maps of planet, and I started on the eastern continent, not far from the Freshwater Sea and the Unity wreckage. Not a bad place to start! But it turned out that I was alone on that continent! By luck of the draw, all the other factions were scattered across the other landmasses. Playing the Believers as an isolationist faction is often risky, but I took the challenge anyway.

For most of the game, I was undisturbed. I had enough probe teams running around to have a general idea of what was going on elsewhere, but I was very careful not to anger anyone. I determined that the Hive was embarking on a war of conquest across the central continent, and had crushed at least one other faction by about turn 70. The Spartans were based on the island chain in the north, and seemed to have taken on a siege mentality versus the Hive. Again, I was careful not to get involved. I was content to let the other factions hack each other to pieces, so that when the day came where I was pulled into the fray, I would be the strongest faction on the block. (Onward Christian Soldiers!)

All the while I was expanding across the eastern continent, building up a strong military and a good infrastructure. It’s rare that Mirriam goes into builder mode, but I found that so long as I wasn’t disturbed the Believers are pretty good at it, even with the research penalty. I built an empire of about 50 bases, all connected with roads, and numerous supply crawlers trucking the goods from one end of the empire to the other. On the whole things were going well.

Then something unexpected happened: Yang attacked me without warning or provocation. His planes tried to bomb one of my cities, just south of the central continent. My planes caught him and drove him off (I *always* build my planes with AAA) before he could do any real damage, but I knew that my isolationist days were over. I quickly sent probe teams into Hive territory to see what he was capable of. Not surprisingly, I had superior numbers, but Yang had superior tech. In a sustained slam-bang I would have trouble. I was in a proverbial pickle.

But then another strange thing happened. In rapid succession I received two calls, one from Santiago and one from Deirdre. The short of it is that both of them asked for my help in dealing with Yang. Yang’s campaign of conquest had been quite successful; myself, the Spartans and the Gaians were the only ones left, and apparently the Spartans and the Gaians were against the proverbial wall. The Gaians were based on the long southern peninsula of the western continent, and were slowly losing ground. The Spartans were still on the island chain, but were loosing a long war of attrition. Neither one of them had the resources to launch an effective counter-attack.

I could see where this was going. Once Yang was finished with Deidre and Santiago, he was going to come after me. So I agreed to a triple alliance with the Spartans and the Gaians, because as both Machiavelli and Lau Tsu said: “the enemy of my enemy is my friend.” Or at the very least, my ally.

Since I was out-teched, there wasn’t much I could do initially. What I did do was use my out of date planes and ships to wreak havoc with Yang’s infrastructure in his southern region. My hope was that by keeping him off balance, the other two factions could regroup enough to make an effective counterstrike.

Remember that I had a large, relatively undisturbed empire with a strong infrastructure and a high population. I may have been out-teched, but I did have abundant resources and manpower. The Spartans started trading me their military technology in exchange for energy credits. The Gaians did the same with their teraforming and research technology. Because of my large population base, I could raise large amounts of cash in a fairly short time, so I was able to do this several times. The influx of cash and minerals helped the Spartans and the Gaians get back on their feet, and they were now holding their own against Yang. They didn’t have the numbers to effectively strike back, but they were keeping the Hive contained.

The parallels between my Believers in this game, and the United States in World War II were staggering. But I digress.

Anyway, while the Spartans and the Gaians were short on numbers, I wasn’t. I put together a task force of roughly 20 highly trained ground units (the best I had), made landfall on the southern coast of the central continent, and proceeded to trash everything in my path. I didn’t attempt to capture or occupy cities, because holding them would have been a logistical problem. I just royally messed up the furniture by destroying roads, farms and mines (especially mines!). This put several of Yang’s cities into a tailspin, so he quickly turned his attention to me. I quickly pulled my troops out, leaving him with a lot of scorched earth to repair.

Oh yeah, one other thing. Deidre ceded me four missiles with fungus payloads, which I used to bog down the ports along Yang’s southern coast. With the regional land a mess and his coastal ports clogged with fungus, it was very difficult for him to retaliate. (Thank you, Deirdre!)

This gave Santiago and Deirdre the break they needed. Santiago invaded along his north shore, and slowly started to steamroll Yang’s empire. Deidre, meanwhile, did a blitzkrieg across the western continent, ultimately forcing Yang off. All the while, I continued to provide energy credits to both of my allies, while constantly hammering the Hive’s southern bases with air and (conventional) missile strikes. Once Santiago captured the Uranium Flats, the Hive started to crumble. In the end, Yang was reduced to one or two sea bases in the Geothermal Shallows, where Deirdre and I had him boxed in with ships.

At this point the game declared a co-operative victory for the triple alliance of the Spartans, the Gaians, and the Believers. I then imagined Santiago, Deirdre and Mirriam in the council hall wearing sunglasses, smoking cigarettes, and toasting with big goblets of Centaurian wine. All hail the Sneaky Sisterhood!

It was one of the most unexpected and intriguing SMAC games I’ve every played.

You spin a sweet yarn, sir.
    AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
    JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Good story there, but I was going to say...

Originally posted by MapGuy View Post
      Since I was out-teched, there wasn’t much I could do initially. What I did do was use my out of date planes and ships to wreak havoc with Yang’s infrastructure in his southern region. My hope was that by keeping him off balance, the other two factions could regroup enough to make an effective counterstrike.
      ....you trust the A.I. enough for them to figure that out? :P

As a loyal Spartan player, awhile back I realized the power of Yang and have declared an edict which says as long as Yang is the A.I., he shall never be engaged in a treaty with me, especially not a pact, and should I be at a loss on who to direct my forces against, the default will be the Human Hive. His reckless bullying, unchecked growth, free perimeter defenses, and discounted industry means that he is my sworn enemy for all time.

I have pacted before with A.I., but the number one rule is that if you're not courting your "ally" with gifts, count on the pact getting revoked. A pact that lasts more than 40 turns in my book is an amazing event in itself. In short, never trust a pacted A.I. member unless he's boxed in a corner with one base left and he surrenders. Even then I have hard time resisting the temptation unless my forces have taken quite a beating.

Comment

Originally posted by 551262 View Post
        Good story there, but I was going to say...
        ....you trust the A.I. enough for them to figure that out? :P
        Well, the AI had done some pretty interesting and unexpected things up to that point, so actually, yes I did. Heh...

It wasn't until after I launched my mini-campaign of furniture breaking that the AI reacted. Once the Hive had it's attention divided, the other two factions starting hitting hard.

I have pacted before with A.I., but the number one rule is that if you're not courting your "ally" with gifts, count on the pact getting revoked.
        In this particular game, I (the Believers) was essentially the economic engine for the triple alliance. I was frequently floating loans of energy credits to the other two factions, usually in return for technology research and the occasional old unit. Since the Believers tend to live pious, modest lives, they weren't going to use the wealth very much. It was a strange arrangement, but it worked. I suspect that had the game continued beyond the co-operative win, the alliance would have fallen apart. At least with AI players. If this had been with human players, I would have offered to carve the planet into three roughly equal parts - one continent per faction - and attempted to take a live and let live stance. I know it's odd for the Believers to be non-confrontational, but think about it. Mirriam ultimately wants her followers to live their lives of modest worship, and if the other two factions are willing to respect her space, I suspect she could be negotiated into a similar position. (If they don't want to join the Chosen Few, well, that's their unfortunate and tragic decision...)

Note that I tend to role-play Mirriam that way. She may be a bit of a lunatic, but over time she mellows, and by mid to late game is willing to co-operate. Especially if she can do so from a position of security (which I had in this game).

However, I suspect the AI version of Mirriam would remain a raving lunatic who wouldn't know reason if it shook her hand.

As a loyal Spartan player, awhile back I realized the power of Yang and have declared an edict which says as long as Yang is the A.I., he shall never be engaged in a treaty with me, especially not a pact, and should I be at a loss on who to direct my forces against, the default will be the Human Hive. His reckless bullying, unchecked growth, free perimeter defenses, and discounted industry means that he is my sworn enemy for all time.
        The game I'm currently playing is on a home-grown, extra large map of Chiron (256 * 512), and I'm playing the Gaians. Some time back Yang picked a fight with me, and I pasted him very badly (three cities wiped without a trace). I had him so out-teched that he surrendered after a mere eight turns. So, he pledged his service to me for all time, and so far he's played nice. Again, I have such a technological and now numerical superiority that I could squash him pretty quickly. I just don't want to right now, because wars are logistical nightmares and I don't want to deal with that right now. Even so, I fully expect him to double cross me at some point, and I'm ready for him when he does. I point to an air base near our border - bristling with about 20 conventional missiles - as proof. If he ever asks me about those (heh) I'll tell him that they are being stored there in the event of an emergency, and that from this location they can protect both of our holdings...

Can you hear the spinning?

Right now I'm more concerned with Mirriam and Morgan. I think they are trying to encircle me, but they are doing a cruddy job of it. My practice of planting fungus in unclaimed territory and along our mutual borders isn't helping them any.
        Last edited by MapGuy; August 7, 2013, 12:44.

Comment

Can you hear the spinning?
          Hope it's the sound of your choppers warming up - they are way better than missiles
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I am playing the gaians on Librarian level. I have my main bases on an island of maybe 7 citys. So well protected. I found Monsoon Jungle and have that well covered and protected. However Lal is on the same large continent as the MJ, not his major citys though. He keeps moving in Colony Pods into my MJ area trying to get a foot hold. I really don't want to go to war just yet. Trying really hard to keep him out!!

Comment

If you have the ability, hurl a bunch of Great Boil mind worms his way. Release them into the wild right in front of his units. Better if you can put a swarm up in his base areas.

Comment

If you got the worms, it's hard to beat that sneaky 'release into the wild' trick for underhanded diplomacy workarounds...
                AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
                JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

I am holding them off with Mindworms! Just need a few more to do some damage! I was lucky enough to get Hunter Seeker Algorithm, so don't have to worry about those darn probe teams!! I really need to get the Tech for Locusts, those are usually my later game weapon of choice as Gians!

Comment

I'm in a land-grab battle with the Believers and Morgan at the moment, and I've been planting fungus in the regions between our borders. In cases where our borders meet, I plant just inside the border on my side. My formers clear the tiles used by my bases, and if a tile has a bonus they leave it clear (I'll use it for a crawler later), but most other tiles are getting fungus. Many of my border regions now have a buffer zone of fungus fields, 2-3 tiles thick.

I'm not stationing worms in these tiles, at least not yet, but these fungus fields tend to breed feral mind worms who attack anyone who gets too close. Once set up, I steer clear of these "Reservations" as best I can. But these fields have forced the Morganites and the Believers to move in certain ways, and their colony pods have been going where *I* want them to go, which is far away from me. The Monsoon Jungle is one area that's being argued over. All three of us have bases in there, and I'm really partitioning up the place with fungus fields.

One nice side effect is that once I started planting these "Reservations" for the native life forms, my problems with feral mind worms dropped considerably.

Comment

Originally posted by MapGuy View Post
                      One nice side effect is that once I started planting these "Reservations" for the native life forms, my problems with feral mind worms dropped considerably.
                      All these years and I never thought of doing that!!! Hmmm.... that may help me at the moment!!

Comment

Working...
                      X