Apolyton SMACX Archives Will Disappear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton SMACX Archives Will Disappear

Robert Plomp announced that the old 'poly server will be taken offline this Dec. 17. The significance of this event for the SMACX community is that the 'poly SMACX archives, as well as other threads such as the demo game threads, will disappear. The archive files cannot be accessed off the mail 'poly menu. Instead, use this link to view the archives.

IMO, not everything in the SMACX archives is worth saving. However, it contains lots of strategy discussions that are still pertinent today. With that in mind, I downloaded the 125 threads listed in this post to my hard drive. Robert told me that he would make sure that these threads would be made available to others.

I'm posting this as a "heads up" for anyone who wants to save other archive threads. I used Firefox with a special add-on to save the threads. I'd be glad to offer advice how to do so to anyone who so requests.

Petek
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Thanks.
    If you feel like it- the AC stories section has a great list of threads to be saved:

I saved about 50 of them, but that's about it for me.
    (ali's, Hydro's, Googlie's, raging mouse, chiron chronicle, and spartan chronicles.)

Although that was pretty foolish of me wasn't it... those threads weren't actually in the archives to be deleted. oh well.
    Last edited by DarkCloud; December 6, 2010, 22:59.
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

@DC,

As I understand it, the only threads in jeopardy are those here. The files that you linked to, even though called archives, were migrated to the new server and so should be safe.

Petek
      "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
      -- Kosh

Comment

Hm. Seems like I realized my error 5 minutes after you posted a response. Oh well. Silly me. And thank you for the correction.
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
        X