Question About Alpha Centauri.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Alpha Centauri.

It has been ages since I have posted in this part of the forum and ages still since I last loaded up a game and played. Yesterday Introduced my 12 yo son to SMAC and he can't put it down. I gave him my older laptop with XP on it and he had played the game a couple years ago but didn't really appreciate the game but he has now been totally drawn in by the game.

I have a couple of questions for anyone here that might still keep up with the game. Id love to play it but I have Vista and as far as I have read, it will not run on Vista or windows 7 at all. Am I mistaken in that? Also I was looking around ebay and found a slightly different looking copy of both SMAC and SMAX from a UK source. in the description it stated it would run on Vista and Windows 7. The package has Sold out Games on the front and I have heard of this from before but I really don't want to waste money buying it if I can't play the game. Any information would be appreciated.

Btw, its great seeing him get excited about a game that was out before he was born. :-)
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Both games will run on either Vista or Windows 7, possibly with some tweaking. No need to buy the Sold-Out version if you already have the discs. Just be sure to patch to the most recent level. See here.

Welcome back! Glad to hear that a new generation is excited about the game.
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

Note that the Sold Out version has SecuROM, which some people find problematic.
      Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Working...
      X