"Warcrimes: Operation slapdash"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Warcrimes: Operation slapdash"

(Click on image to download, read the ongoing story, participate in the contest, or comment.)

War Crimes (by Buster's Uncle - pt.1)

The rover patrol along the disputed border with the Gaians had been routine. Ravi was relating one of his stories about yet another improbable romantic adventure from the driver’s seat, while Lev scanned the landscape from shotgun and pretended to listen. They’d pulled duty together lots of times over the years; Ravi wasn’t a bad guy, if you could stand the bragging. He was a good Spartan.

“So when I put my pants on the next morning, I realized I had 10 more EC in my pockets than I’d left barracks with,” Ravi said, “I don’t remember everything, but she must have paid-”

“BOIL!” Lev shouted, pointing towards a fungus-covered rise.

Ravi instantly slammed the wheel left towards the threat; it was doctrine to attack mindworms on sight, before they attacked you. Lev brought the turret gun to bear and opened fire.

Lev saw the world swirl before his eyes; contracting, expanding, contracting, expanding – whirling - impossible pressure building. He remembered every time he’d been cut in his entire life at once. Ravi’s screams beside him were the hunting cries of great cats. Fangs ripping at his flesh, eating him!

WORMS BURROWING IN THROUGH HIS EYES!

Ravi slowly realized he wasn’t dead. He hurt too much to be dead. He blearily realized he was folded over the wheel of the recon rover. Ugh. The worm had counterattacked while they were still in motion and they’d crashed into something. He looked over at Lev.

His mind blanked out again.

Ravi didn’t remember sealing his airmask, grabbing the flamethrower and exiting the cabin, but his training had held strong. Making sure of every last bit of the boil was S.O.P. His throat was too raw to scream his rage at the burning remains; there was nothing but pain.

He was looking around to be sure he was done when he spotted the barely-stirring woman lying prone nearby, her hands clutched to her head. Gaian insignia.

It was true then; the Gaians were controlling mindworms for weapons. Unleashing those horrors on people. Killed Lev.

He couldn't even scream as he aimed the flamethrower.

(Non WPC members can download here. enjoy!.)
    alphacentauri2.info * Alpha Centauri players group * IRC channel #smac

Your signature still lists Jihad.

Download consisted of "Scenario" folder containing "1005 WarcrimesOS" folder containing "1005 WarcrimesOS" file and "alpha.txt." Zip and instructions should have allowed for players that already have other scenarios. I don't know about Windows, but Mac installation results in creation of "Scenario" folder.

I have communicated #UNITS question to DrazharLn.

Since only alpha.txt, I wonder if game could have been distributed as save, with the modifications to alpha.txt file automatically imprinted on the save file. Darsnan might be able to answer that question.
    Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Your signature still lists Jihad.
      indeed
      Download consisted of "Scenario" folder containing "1005 WarcrimesOS" folder containing "1005 WarcrimesOS" file and "alpha.txt." Zip and instructions should have allowed for players that already have other scenarios. I don't know about Windows, but Mac installation results in creation of "Scenario" folder.
      in Windows, even if you overwrite, none of the existing scenarios will be lost.
      i don't know if this is the case for Mac. you didn't have a scenario folder in your installation up untill now?
      understanding how the scenarios should be installed on a Mac could help us making GotM more Mac friendly.
      I have communicated #UNITS question to DrazharLn.
      don't you know how to contact me?
      Last edited by bdanv; May 11, 2010, 11:04.

Comment

Originally posted by bdanv View Post
        in Windows, even if you overwrite, none of the existing scenarios will be lost.
        i don't know if this is the case for Mac. you didn't have a scenario folder in your installation up untill now?
        I tested it by moving it into the my GotM 0210 directory. I got a message saying there was an older item labeled Scenario and did I want to replace it. When I said yes, the GotM 0210 in Scenario disappeared.

understanding how the scenarios should be installed on a Mac could help us making GotM more Mac friendly.
        Clearly, an unsophisticated Mac user would end up losing any scenarios they had following your instructions.

don't you know how to contact me?
        I asked DrazharLn a question thinking there was a purpose to the #UNITS section. He said he would consult with you. Based on DrazharLn's work, I suspect the Probe Team Mk3 will have an unusual ability and I didn't want to spoil the surprise for GotM players by posting in an open forum.

My question to DrazharLn wasn't a criticism. I thought he had found an interesting way to use his observations.

Comment

questions what is this about? Anything new to deal with AC is of interest to me. Would be great to see the game get more active.
          A university faculty is 500 egoists with a common parking problem

Comment

It is a SMAC scenario that you can download and play.

Comment

Originally posted by dacole View Post
              questions what is this about?
              It is a SMAC scenario that you can download and play.
              actually, the Game of the Month is more than that. it's a collection of scenarios featuring fiction and sometimes custom factions and graphic made for your enjoyment by the GotM staff. it's also a contest and you are welcome to join it if you are interested.
              we are playing now the May and the April GotMs.

Originally posted by dacole View Post
              Anything new to deal with AC is of interest to me. Would be great to see the game get more active.
              the SMAC community is active.. elsewhere.
              i'm glad you decided to join us.

Comment

Comment

(click on the image to play)

Comment

(click on the image to play)

Alternatively, people who are not registered at WPC may download it from the downloads section of WPC. If someone could tell me the software that is used for that section (or any download section of any SMAC forum) and a link to where the software could be downloaded, I would appreciate it.

I have become quite envious of the ability to download without registration! (We have this patch ... )

Comment

Working...
                    X