Choppy/Jerky Video in SMAX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choppy/Jerky Video in SMAX

I recently installed Windows 7 (fresh install) and happily, after a few frustrating hours, got SMAX to install and run happily. All except the videos though. They sound fine, but the any videos (black projects, intro, ending) run extremely slowly. Probably about 1 or 2 frames per second.

Anyone have any ideas how to improve this?

Make sure that you are patched to v2.0 of SMAX (see here). If you're already patched, or if patching didn't help, try adding DirectDraw=0 to the Alpha Centauri.ini file in the install directory. (Doing will force the game to run at your native Windows resolution, but the game's readme file also documents this as a possible fix for video problems.) If still no joy, please post again.

Petek
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

Yup, game patched up and DirectDraw=0 already on. (game looks horrific otherwise)

I think those were the only changes I made IIRC. The other thing is that I've tried running in compatability mode for XP service pack and without compatability mode, but no joy either way. Quite baffled as to why it's behaving this way.

Comment

Hmm ...

You should have a folder under the main game folder named movies. It contains lots of *.wve files and one named playuv15.exe. What happens if you drag one of the *.wve files and drop it onto playuv15.exe? That should play the video. Do you still get choppy playback?

Petek
        -- Kosh

Comment

Very odd.

I get perfect playback of sound, but no video. Just a black screen, though I can quit playback by pressing escape. I'm not sure why it plays in game but not out of it.

Comment

Odd indeed.

You said you tried running in compatibility mode, but did you try the Run in 256 colors option? If that doesn't help, try fiddling with your Windows video options (# colors, resolution, and so on).

Petek
            -- Kosh

Comment

Working...
            X