Blind research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blind research

Is it me, or is blind research in SMAC *really* blind? As a seasoned Civ2 player, it's bad enough not being able to choose exactly which tech to go for next. However, I find that in SMAC *even if* I choose, say, Build, it *still* doesn't always research Build techs. It frequently just researches what the heck it wants. What's the point in even having a 'direct research' dialog if it doesn't always direct the research to what you've selected? Is the best tactic to just leave all 4 selected and ignore it?
    === Jez ===

Quick answer as to how blind research works: If you set your research priority to, say, build, you won't always get build techs. For one thing, build techs will have non-build prerequisites. If you look at the #TECHNOLOGY section of Alpha(x).txt, you'll see four columns of numbers. For each tech, these numbers represent the ratios of Conquer, Discover, Build, and Explore assigned to that tech. Then there are formulas that will tell you which tech will come up next, according to what techs you already have, your research priorities and other factors. Someone even created a spreadsheet to do these calculations for you. I'm sure you can find out more by searching this forum. HTH

Petek
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

My advice would be to turn off Blind Research altogether in your game options. The reason it's a part of the standard rules is that it's assumed that a new player will be completely unfamiliar with the tech tree, and therefore bewildered by the huge array of options. Unless you intend to play single player and already find Transcend to be trivial, it's not worth using.

Comment

You should try a secondary research priority for blind tech research, check out the tech section in alpha.txt to get an idea of what techs you want to research. The techs you get won't always be in a beeline but two often gives a better aim than a singe research priority.

Like:
        Explore and Build for Resource Caps.
        Explore and Conquer for Air Power.
        Discover and Conquer for Fusion power.
        Build and Conquer for better armors and defenses.
        Don't rule me out when I'm losing. Save your celebration until after I'm gone.

Comment

I rather like blind tech myself, it is a good randomizer, makes the game more challenging and also forces me to make tech deals/use probes to steal tech, rather than just research what I want. It also tends to slow down the race to choppers, which can make for some interesting early and mid game wars.

I am playing a game now which has had an extended naval/infantry war with no airpower, it has been rather fun.

Comment

I believe civ 2 used only directed research. So blind research would be an innovation. While it may help new players who wouldn't understand what the techs do, it does add more randomness to the game (it certainly prevents b-lining!)
            Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

While more randomness might be a merit when playing against the (rather dismal) AI, I don't count that as a positive when playing versus other humans. The game is already heavily skewed towards the acquisition of certain early lynchpin techs (I'm looking at you, Industrial Automation), there's little reason to believe that randomizing people's access to those lynchpin techs will produce a more entertaining and equitable game.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO Aaron View Post
                While more randomness might be a merit when playing against the (rather dismal) AI, I don't count that as a positive when playing versus other humans.
                I agree. Many times MP games are designed (I am thinking of the modified vet's map) to reduce luck as much as possible.
                Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Working...
                X