SMAC Crashes and XP issues!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAC Crashes and XP issues!

Hello everyone. I've come to you because I have recently attempted to once more delve into the awesomeness that is Alpha Centauri, but have had numerous issues.

I've recently had to downgrade my laptop due to my previous video card literally melting into slag, and one of the only games I have this laptop can run is Alpha Centauri, processing-power-wise. It's Windows XP SP3, Pentium 4 2.4 GHz, and 1 GB of RAM, 64 MB of which is used for video.

Initially I installed everything, both SMAC and SMACX, applied the 2.0 patch, then the XP compatibility patch, and it refuses to run. I then uninstalled, installed only SMAC, applied the 4.0 patch, then the XP compatibility patch, and ended up needing to alter the .ini file in order to get it to run. But it ran! Heavenly Joy!!

So I started a game, jumping right into things, and was ecstatic, reveling in the classic goodness. And then, on turn 9 or 10, CRASH!! ACK!!! "terran.exe has encountered an error and needs to close" So, I open up the auto-save, keep going, and it crashes again!! On a hunch based on what was going on when it crashed, I open up the auto-save again and cancel all of the auto-movements going on. It works!! It seems to randomly and intermittently crash when a unit is auto-moving into a fungus tile, and it's driving me up a wall. It has never crashed when I've manually moved it, though I tend to do alot of auto-moves. HELP!!!
    Attached Files

Auto-moving units tended to crash my games a lot as well, until I restricted my use of automated orders. I've found that terraform orders beyond base limits (fully automated former) crash the game in later stages. Autoremove fungus I don't use, but it may be under the same spell. Move-orders which get interrupted by terrain altering before they can be fully carried out can crash the game as well. Hope this helps, GL!

Comment

Working...
    X