Why are my ships/artillery are destorying each other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are my ships/artillery are destorying each other

It seems that is I tried to destroy a terrain enhancement (ie farms, forests, etc.) in the presence of another ship/artillery that belongs to me, said ship/artillery will attack the bombarding ship/artillery resulting in the loss of one or the other. Which is irritating for me to keep on replacing such ships/artillery.

Why is that?

I don't recall this issue being reported previously. Is it SMAC or SMAX? Make sure that your game is fully patched. If you are patched, or patching doesn't help, please post a save file that demonstrates the problem. The only thing that I can think of that's similar, is when a pod turns out to have native life forms. Any spore launchers will battle to the death with each other.

Petek
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

i've also seen this if you attempt to siege pods, and you will end up battling another siege unit within range and the attacker suffers a -100% hasty penalty
      Into Alien Crossfire? It has been almost 10 years. Time to update your datalinks.
      Try out my Comprehensive Datalinks Update. Now v1.3!

Comment

Could it be because artillery/ships damage ALL units in the target square? I seem to remember somewhere that if an artillery/ship is attacked by another artillery/ship, they'll do an "artillery duel" and keep shooting back and forth until one is dead. Just an idea.

Comment

The game is in SMAX.

Could be the patching problem, let me check.

And the units that attacked each other are right next to each other.

Comment

Artillery units can ONLY use the "bombardment" attack, even if the target is only 1 square away. You're trying to destroy a terraforming enhancement, right? I'd use the units that are already on that square first, or move them so the square is empty and then use your long-range bombardment.

Personally, I don't destroy enhancements very often. I'm usually moving through enemy territory pretty fast, so I like to keep those farms and mines around for when I capture the base.

Comment

Working...
            X