civ IV conversion to AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• civ IV conversion to AC

So of the several Civ IV conversions that have been tried it seems one is still alive. Over at civfanatics Maniac is doing a conversion called planetfall that is on the tenth version and is very playable. It is more a use of the story and the characters and the tech as some of the stuff is changed. Still a very good update to the game. Go check it out here!

(Public) Development forum for the Planetfall mod for Civ4.

Sorry if this is old news but haven't seen anything about it here so thought I would bring it to your attention (since I expect there are people like me who only rarely go to civfanatics and who spend most of their time here).
    A university faculty is 500 egoists with a common parking problem

Version 11 of Planetfall, the Alpha Centauri total conversion mod for Civ4 BtS, has been released. This new version will break save games from previous versions.

This new version offers improvements in two fields:
    1) Many new graphics by Lord Tirian have been added.
    2) The Better AI mod by jdog5000 has been merged with Planetfall.(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I have a couple extra items to draw your attention to.

1) The Drop Trooper unit graphic recently added in Planetfall has been discussed on ModCast. Check it out!

2) Please post interesting screenshots of your games in this thread.

3) I could use your opinion on the next big thing to focus on: how to make the AI succesfully follow a Hybrid strategy. See this thread!

And now for the changelog:

1. Sea Borehole improvement graphics by Lord Tirian.
    2. White Pines building graphics by Lord Tirian.
    3. Temple of Planet building graphics by Lord Tirian.
    4. Spawning Spot graphics by Lord Tirian.
    5. Nutrient bonus resource graphics by Lord Tirian.
    6. Fungus and Hybrid Forest graphics made less heavy on polygons by Lord Tirian, so that map scrolling flows smoother.
    7. Better AI mod by jdog5000 added.
    8. Atmospheric Processor building graphics by Lord Tirian.
    9. Pholus Ridge landmark has been added. Graphics by Lord Tirian and Rubin.
    10. Brilliance resource graphics, by Lord Tirian.
    11. Kelp and Sea Fungus can no longer be planted on Trenches.
    12. Centauri Ecology can be researched through Biofuel.
    13. Spore Launchers require Field Modulation instead of Cloning.

Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Maniac et al. have done a wonderful job in their conversion... I am playing it now.

But I would still return to the original if some one could come up with patch/mod which would allow the original SMAC to be played on big maps and with many, many units, as is allowed by the processing power of modern computers. I have learn't to my bitter disappointment that it can't do that, or so it seems to me.

Live long and prosper.

Comment

Originally posted by Cmcastl View Post
        Maniac et al. have done a wonderful job in their conversion... I am playing it now.

But I would still return to the original if some one could come up with patch/mod which would allow the original SMAC to be played on big maps and with many, many units, as is allowed by the processing power of modern computers. I have learn't to my bitter disappointment that it can't do that, or so it seems to me.

Live long and prosper.
        I love Planetfall but so agree with Cmcastl, any map larger than 128x128 seems to result in Terranx crashing in late game (my system has 4GB RAM and 1TB HD so I don't see memory being a problem, although Vista may be)
        To err is human, to firgive is against government policy

Comment

"I love Planetfall but so agree with Cmcastl, any map larger than 128x128 seems to result in Terranx crashing in late game (my system has 4GB RAM and 1TB HD so I don't see memory being a problem, although Vista may be)."

Hope you don't take it the wrong way, Mablir Dorlig, but it is nice to have company; that was exactly my problem.

It might be solvable if some gaming genius put his mind to it but so far no one has.

I do not want for one moment to disparage Maniac's achievement, however. The eye candy is marvellous and there are a few extra concepts about the game I like in what he has provided. It is the game I play and play and play now and he does respond positively to decent suggestions. More power to you, Maniac!

But I do miss the SMAC "workshop" and the jets majestically and automatically flying from one city to the next. Also, the "agents". In SMAC, they used to run their own ops. In Planetfall, you have to manually shake them out of bed!

Live long and prosper.

Comment

Working...
          X