No announcement yet.

A few various questions about the game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few various questions about the game.

First let me say I've read through Val's guide and I still have some questions. Well, I guess should say I wound up skimming because it's such a large guide, but if any question here is answered there, my apologies.

First, I don't fully understand base growth, it's seemingly random for me. If I build my first base and it winds up having 5 or so nuts, it grows just fine in a few turns, and I'll have about a +3 surplus. In a separate game I landed a really nice starting spot, and easily had over 10 nuts. The growth wait was a good bit larger than my 5 nut set up, and I only had a +1 surplus. Is there a reason for this? I don't recall my min or en income for the first set up, but they were pretty average in my second set up.

Sort of related, at the beginning of any game I'll be able to pump out units and techs pretty rapidly, but after a few years, it all slows down drastically. This is probably easily explainable, but I couldn't find anything about it in Vals guide.

Third, and far less important, I just want to know about Spore Launchers. I'll capture one of these things, and they seem completely useless. No matter what unit I attack, be it short or long range, nothing happens at all. Is it incredibly weak, or am I doing something wrong?

And I'll just put up my usual play set up in case it helps. I normally play as Gaians and build two bases and try to build those up nicely before I move on.

Each unit of population eats 2 nutrients.
    Secondly, there is a Social effect called GROWTH. You can view your Faction's GROWTH under the social engineering table (E), the higher your GROWTH is, the faster your cities grow. Also, a city that is having a golden age gets +2 GROWTH, and a Children's Creche (facility) gives +2 GROWTH as well.

Units have an upkeep cost - just like in earlier Civ games. Depending upon your SUPPORT (another social effect) each base can only support a certain number of units, before each subsequent unit will require 1 Mineral/turn as maintenance - thus will reduce the speed at which you can produce.

As for techs, the more techs you have, the higher the cost of the next tech (amongst other things), so techs will naturally cost more over time.

Spore launchers are Artillery units - they Psi attack over range via a bombardment. See the datalinks under Bombardment for details

Please note that the dalalinks with the game are out of date - and flat out wrong in some cases I highly recommend you grab a copy of my Comprehensive Datalinks Update (see sig), to help assist you with your game.
    Into Alien Crossfire? It has been almost 10 years. Time to update your datalinks.
    Try out my Comprehensive Datalinks Update. Now v1.3!

Comment

Thank you very much Googly! You helped me far more than I anticipated.

Comment

And I'll just put up my usual play set up in case it helps. I normally play as Gaians and build two bases and try to build those up nicely before I move on.
        Bad play. Expand to the bureaucracy limit early, more bases are far stonger than few of them, especially for highly efficient Deirdre.

Comment

I just wondered how you happened to have TEN nutrients in a base at game start. Even if you found a base on a nutrient bonus and have a worker on another, I don't see how a base gets 10 nutrients as a size one-- Did I misunderstand you?

Otherwise, Growth is a function of EXCESS nutrients above your needs. The growth rating is also key as it determines the number of nutrients you need to bank before the base grows. get to +6 and the abse will grwo by one EVERY turn for so long as there are sufficient excess nutrient being produced each turn
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
          X