AI using ICS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI using ICS

The Caretakers wiped out the university, 2 turns later they contacted me and declared vendetta, so I contacted all the other faction hoping to get a map and ask them to declare war on them as well, I got the map from the Drones and a pact from the usurpers. I look at the map and saw this. I'd estimate that I have played well over 100 complete games of SMAC(X) in my life and have never seen this before. Has anyone else ever come across an AI running an ICS before? I would guess it has to do with the monsoon jungle, but I do not know for sure.

I know Darsnan is always commenting on ways to make the AI play better looking into this might give him some ideas because the Caretakers are really pwning in this game.
    Attached Files
    I got scolded in Bold letters by Iluminatus.
    That makes me sad. :(

I can't use smilies in my signature that makes me even more sad. :(

Originally posted by Russia4Life View Post
    I know Darsnan is always commenting on ways to make the AI play better looking into this might give him some ideas because the Caretakers are really pwning in this game.
    I have seen the AIs do this in the Monsoon Jungle on occasion - some really epic battles there!

A brute-force way to mimic this is to change the nutrient value in forest squares from 1 to 2 via the alpha(x).txt file (see "Guardian of Planet" scenario for example). I've recently refined this technique so that it still benefits the AIs, but without being so overpowering: its a good tool for a CMN to have.....

D

Comment

I've also observed the same behavior by the AI (close base spacing in the jungle). They build their bases similarly in other landmarks (such as Uranium Flats and Garland Crater), but it's not as noticeable since these landmarks are relatively smaller than the jungle.

Petek
      "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
      -- Kosh

Comment

Originally posted by Darsnan View Post
        I have seen the AIs do this in the Monsoon Jungle on occasion - some really epic battles there!

A brute-force way to mimic this is to change the nutrient value in forest squares from 1 to 2 via the alpha(x).txt file (see "Guardian of Planet" scenario for example). I've recently refined this technique so that it still benefits the AIs, but without being so overpowering: its a good tool for a CMN to have.....

D
        I have noticed a slightly closer base placement on landmarks before, I've seen Deirdre put 6 or 7 bases in the jungle once but never to this extent before. They now have 13 bases with access to the jungle squares, They would have had a sea base off the coast too but I killed it as soon as I saw it was built. I'm really tempted to use a well placed planet buster on all those bases when I get the tech, but I have a pact with all the other factions bringing in just shy of 400/turn in trade I don't think it would be worth losing that.

How exactly have you refined that technique? Or is that some kinda ancient Darsnanian trade secret?

Originally posted by Petek View Post
        I've also observed the same behavior by the AI (close base spacing in the jungle). They build their bases similarly in other landmarks (such as Uranium Flats and Garland Crater), but it's not as noticeable since these landmarks are relatively smaller than the jungle.

Petek
        You have a point. After reading your reply I looked around the map at the landmarks that are visible to me. Drones have 5 bases crammed into garland crater, something I probably would have just overlooked had I not been specifically looking for this behavior. They are using regular spacing on the uranium flats though.
        I got scolded in Bold letters by Iluminatus.
        That makes me sad. :(

I can't use smilies in my signature that makes me even more sad. :(

Comment

Originally posted by Russia4Life View Post
          How exactly have you refined that technique? Or is that some kinda ancient Darsnanian trade secret?

Seriously though, if I told you everything I did to make AIs more competitive, would the games then be as entertaining?

D

Comment

Working...
          X