SMAX "Eye of the Beholder" 2009 SP game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAX "Eye of the Beholder" 2009 SP game

BACKDROP: In MY 2433 several factions discovered the wreckage of a Progenitor interstellar spaceship on the farside of Nessus. After much investigation it was determined that the ships star charts were intact, and that the hyperdrive engine could be cloned.
    By MY 2452 the first fleet of scoutships had been built and sent out with a mandate to investigate all of the habitable planets catalogued in the ancient Progenitor ships start charts. The results were mixed: some scoutships return with exciting news of “Eden-class” planets, while other scouts tell tales of planets which had degraded over the eons. Still other scouts fail to return at all….
    By MY2475 all of the ideal “Eden-class” worlds have been either colonized, or claimed by the various Factions of Man. This had then led to what was called “The Great Planet Rush” where over the next 25 years everyone who had a spaceship or could afford transit on one rushed to colonize the “moderately habitable” worlds before someone else did. Great fleets of colony ships moved from solar system to solar system via the transit points, or “wormholes”, documented in the Progenitor star charts. For those interested in commerce, the web of transit points whose nexus would be heavily traveled were ideal locations to set up businesses. For those whose endeavors fell outside of the law, wormholes made it very easy for them to target their prey: all they had to do was wait at the outskirts of a wormhole, and sooner or later a ship would fall unsuspecting out of the wormhole and into their grasp…..

PREMISE: The pirate captain leaned back in his command chair, disappointed. Today’s catch had been less than stellar: the Peace Keeper ship Wanderlust had turned out to be little more than a tramp steamer full of refugees bound for relocation settlements on the fringes of human space. Having experienced that life first-hand he knew the peoples in that ship would be living in cramped squalor, and would only have enough supplies to establish a rudimentary existence on their new homeworlds. Now the pirate was faced with what to do with the Wanderlust. He couldn’t just let them go, as they’d immediately report his activities to the authorities. He also wasn’t a bloodthirsty pirate, so blasting the ship out of space wasn’t an option, either. But there were a multitude of “marginally habitable” planets only a few jumps away, places where the environments probably wouldn’t be that much worse off than the resettlement worlds these people were originally destined for. He could simply dump them onto one of these worlds and walk away with a clean conscience, knowing these peoples wouldn’t be found immediately, if anyone bothered to look for them at all….

Sister Prudence looked up into the alien sky as the pirate ship departed orbit. This was a turn of events which had not been anticipated: out on her first foray as a Mission Lead, her directive had been to sheppard a cargo of Progenitor artifacts back to her covenant in order that they could be studied further. That these artifacts were considered contraband by the authorities was beside the point: God had placed them in this universe, so it was deemed by her Mother Superior that no mortal law applied to them. It was simply Sister Prudence’s job to find a way of getting these artifacts back home under the noses of the authorities, and so she had chosen an unassuming Peace Keeper resettlement ship as a means of circumnavigating the authorities. And by relabeling the artifact containers as “religious materials”, she had probably saved them not only from the authorities, but from the clutches of the pirate captain as well. Now it was in these artifacts that she and her Mission may find salvation on this inhospitable world called "Eye of the Beholder".
    Sister Prudence’s first scouts had returned earlier, with mixed news: some scouts had reported that there was an enhanced Progenitor Upgrade Station nearby, which would undoubtedly come in handy. However, there were also disturbing reports from other scouts that there were traces of Planet Fungus here. And where there was fungus, there were worms…..

Directions:

1) In your Scenarios subdirectory create a folder called "EotB_2009", and download and unzip the attached files into it.

4/13/09 update: Buster's Uncle updated Datalinks and factional files for me (thanx Buster's Uncle!). Also made the opening game a little easier (hint: review your initial build options for details).

2) Start up SMAX, then select "Scenario", "Play Scenario", and then select the attached EotB file. You will be prompted to choose the difficulty level. Once chosen, the game will automatically load up with Sister Prudence and the Believers.
    3) In the Data Links I recommend looking at the basic units types, so you can plan your strategies accordingly.

Alternate Graphics

Buster's Uncle has done some very good work with some new Faction pics. The attached faction_1 thru faction_3 files contain the updated faction graphics. If you would like to use them, then do the following:

1) In your "Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri" directory back up the following files: believe.pcx, caretake.pcx, cyborg.pcx, hive.pcx, morgan.pcx, univ.pcx, and drone.pcx

2) download and unzip the faction_1 thru faction_3 files into your "Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri" directory. Note that these will now be your default factional graphics for the above named faction until you replace them again. Well worth it though, IMO.

Enjoy!

D
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Darsnan; April 13, 2009, 19:03.

Changelog

The alphax.txt file for this game has been heavily modified, with some of the more notable modifications as follows:

#RULES

- Artillery Numerator/ Denominator is at 15/7: with arty, it is much better to give than receive!
    - Max artillery range is set to 3. Note that if you aren’t using scient’s patch, that only the AI will be able to bombard from 3 tiles away).
    - Max airdrop = 6 tiles.
    - Base defense has been increased to 40%: since the AI is typically on the defensive, then this will assist the AI moreso.
    - 10% penalty for attacking from a lower elevation.
    - Max arty damage inflicted on units in base/ bunker: 60
    -

#TERRAIN

- Raise/ Lower land= 20 turns.

#RESOURCE INFO

- Monoliths give 2/3/2.
    - Borehole squares give a -2 nutrients (note that if you are not using scient’s patch you won’t see this effect).

#CHASSIS

- Foil moves 3 squares

- Cruiser moves 5 squares

- Needlejet moves 6 squares

- Copter moves 6 squares

- Gravships move 5 squares, and are now available with Monopole Magnets.

- Hovertankchassis has been moved to Fusion

#WEAPONS

- From Fusion weapons on out, weapon values have been reduced. See the datalinks for exact values. This idea originated with Maniac.

#DEFENSES

- beginning with Pulse 3 armor/ Resonance armor, the defensive values have been increased by one. See datalinks for specifics. Here again, this idea originated with Maniac.

#ABILITIES

- Heavy Artillery costs zero, and is not allowed on fast moving units.
    - Clean Reactors cost zero.
    -
    #UNITS

- There are 44 units spread throughout the tech tree. Some of these I'm still experimenting with, while others have definately found their niche (you'll know which ones when you encounter them! ). The other reason for so many is that it pears back the number of poor designs the AI builds (although it still tries to screw the pooch on occasion with crap units). Some of the units are as follows:

- Several gravship and hovertank designs: part of this is to act as a counter to the human's use of AC and choppers. The AI builds aircraft but doesn't handle them very well (although I have gotten to employ them slightly better in this scenario), however they do a better job with gravships and hovertanks.

- Aircraft carriers, Probe ships, and subs

- You will now have to prototype your first crawler.

#FACILITIES

- Geosynchronous Survey Pod and Flechette Defense: available with DocAir. Both cost 8 rows.
    - Nessus Mining Station available with Doc:Air.

- Empath Guild: moved to Eudomania
    - Virtual World: moved to Social Psych. Trying to water down the beeline to Industrial Auto.

- Cloudbase Academy: moved to Monopole Magnets. Because of the CBA's worth (i.e. free aerospace complex in each city), then this, along with the gravship chassis at monopole magnets, now makes for an interesting choice: does the player beeline for MMI and choppers, or does the player now beeline for Monopole Magnets?

- In addition, all SPs have a maintenance cost associated with them. Please review the datalinks for specifics.
    -
    There are other changes, but the above are the most notable IMO.

D

Comment

I didn't have much time to play last night- my primary email account was suddenly down, and being as I can’t live without my email... So this is initial impressions based on just a few turns playing at talent and spending a lot of the time investigating datalinks and such. I need to set aside my projects (Secret Project: The Custom Graphics Fanatic) and spend some serious time playing today.

I've never played a user-created scenario before, and only one or two of the Firaxis ones a very long time ago. Also, I'm VERY used to playing Gaian and cheating like mad. And I’ve barely played any since I joined this forum. All these things inform my impressions.

I don’t have much impression of gameplay yet, having been at it so briefly, and regret having mostly nitpicks to offer at this point, but I assume you’ll be putting out an upgrade at some point…

Boy, I’ve never had nearly so many units to start with. That took a few minutes to sort out.

I’ve got three bases founded so far; that’s at about five turns in. I haven’t found or contacted anyone yet, and am exploring as fast as I can. I’ve had infantry cloned by pod dimensional rifts twice(!) and am in first place for technology and military.

I hope after 2510 my research rate is going to get better than every 42 turns, or I’m gonna get frustrated. I don’t think I’ve ever played Believers before, though, so I don’t know if that’s typical. (I was surprised when I didn’t capture the first two mindworms I encountered, too.)

The terrain looks a little odd, which is not a bad thing. Is this using a slightly different texture file? I didn’t know you could do that in a straight-up scenario without installing the file.

I’d like to do a little proofreading of various text things, if you don’t mind. You probably won’t be shocked to hear that I had to look up the borehole entry. (I typoed that last to boerhole, which I’d venture was an entrenchment during the unpleasantness in South Africa a hundred years ago)

It bugs me that the name-changes for leader are inconsistently implemented, and the datalinks stuff about who the leaders are, not at all. Plus, I worked on the Conclave and I want the Conclave. (I can’t not bring my biases to the table!)

I can already tell I’m going to have to revisit the graphics again. The portraits look slightly different in the scenario than they did in my previous play testing- a lot of things need to be darkened. The muumuu, for example.

I had an odd experience after I accidentally loaded the wrong save. When I then promptly loaded the right one, all the faction graphics were switched and I had Data Angels bases and colors. It was during this that a pod-pop gave me the (University’s, dangit) comm. frequency, so when I found out you’d made it EMILLE Flammarion, (which is good and I wish I’d known before I updated the file wrong yesterday) he looked exactly like Judaa Marr. I didn’t save it, naturally, for fear the graphics switch would carry over. When I exited and reloaded, it was back to normal.

I should have more for you as I play more… (The email was fine when I logged on this morning.)
      Last edited by Buster Crabbe's Uncle; April 10, 2009, 21:59.
      AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
      JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Buster's Uncle View Post

I hope after 2510 my research rate is going to get better than every 42 turns, or I’m gonna get frustrated.
        42 turns doesn't sound right. You have 3 bases - Correct? I'm thinking it should be on the order of 10-12 turns at worst. Unfortunately I won't be able to look into this till (at the earliest) Satrurday evening, as I am going OOT again shortly.

The terrain looks a little odd, which is not a bad thing. Is this using a slightly different texture file? I didn’t know you could do that in a straight-up scenario without installing the file.
        I put the "Great Dunes" terrain all over this planet.

I’d like to do a little proofreading of various text things, if you don’t mind. You probably won’t be shocked to hear that I had to look up the borehole entry. (That typoed to boerhole, which I’d venture was an entrenchment during the unpleasantness in South Africa a hundred years ago)

It bugs me that the name-changes for leader are inconsistently implemented, and the datalinks stuff about who the leaders are, not at all. Plus, I worked ohe Conclave and I want the Conclave. (I can’t not bring my biases to the table!)
        Unfortunately I am getting pressed for time in several different directions, so I didn't bother updating all the datalinks for this scenario (as I do on occasion for other scenarios).

D

Comment

D, did you know that 'Polly inconsistantly displays when you're here? I saw that you were browsing this thread, were not listed for the general forum when I went up a level, but were still here when I came right back- not the first time I've seen that.

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Darsnan View Post
            42 turns doesn't sound right. You have 3 bases - Correct? I'm thinking it should be on the order of 10-12 turns at worst.
            That's the round-one rate. I think I didn't look after I founded the new bases.

Unfortunately I am getting pressed for time in several different directions, so I didn't bother updating all the datalinks for this scenario (as I do on occasion for other scenarios).
            Would you like for me to make a first draft? Take your faction text files and the relevant ones you didn't include this time, and alter that stuff to the best of my knowlege/put in the datalinks changes you had in previous versions, zip them up and post here? I don’t have a life, and I want to.

No pasarán

Comment

That's the round-one rate. I think I didn't look after I founded the new bases.
              Can you check that real quick? There is only one thing that I can think of off the top of my head that may be impacting this, and if either you or someone else can confirm this issue (i.e. significantly long research rate), then I'll probably delete the scenario from the thread till I can look at it. I'll then fix it, and re-attach at that time.

D

Would you like for me to make a first draft? Take your faction text files and the relevant ones you didn't include this time, and alter that stuff to the best of my knowlege/put in the datalinks changes you had in previous versions, zip them up and post here? I don’t have a life, and I want to.
              PM sent.

Comment

Got something weird for you, two alien units (red) are fighting each other. This is the third turn now that the spore launcher has bombarded the mind worm.
                Attached Files
                I got scolded in Bold letters by Iluminatus.
                That makes me sad. :(

I can't use smilies in my signature that makes me even more sad. :(

Comment

Originally posted by Russia4Life View Post
                  Got something weird for you, two alien units (red) are fighting each other. This is the third turn now that the spore launcher has bombarded the mind worm.

I don't think I can take credit for that one. I've seen 2 wild spore launchers go at it before (which is probably a bug come to think of it), however I've never seen a SL repeatedly bombard other NL. While I can't look at it right away, can you post a save so I can look at it when I get back?

BTW concerning the research rate: per the above comment are you experiencing an extremely long initial research rate?

D

Comment

Okay, I've discovered I have to re-open the scenario before the save, or I get scrambled factions, and lord knows what I haven’t noticed yet. I was the Peacekeepers this time.

Told you I didn't have much experience with playing scenarios.

Anyway, the best reasearch rate I got with three bases was every 19 turns with labs at 60%, alo yielding four energy a turn. Naturally, my headquarters is right where you wanted me to put it- where the colony pod started. One of the new bases is to the south, and is only working one mineral/turn until I get a forest going in another turn or two.

Here: I'll just attach the save. Oh crap- my evaluation period on WinZip ran out at midnight! Help!

No pasarán

Comment

Okay, I've discovered I have to re-open the scenario before the save, or I get scrambled factions, and lord knows what I haven’t noticed yet. I was the Peacekeepers this time.

This is a known SMAX bug. If you start a game with the same faction order as in the scenario, play a few turns, then quit, and then re-open the turn, your factions should have the correct faction graphics.

Anyway, the best reasearch rate I got with three bases was every 19 turns with labs at 60%, alo yielding four energy a turn. Naturally, my headquarters is right where you wanted me to put it- where the colony pod started. One of the new bases is to the south, and is only working one mineral/turn until I get a forest going in another turn or two.
                      OK, I think this is more in-line with what I was experiencing. Essentially I playtested the scenario like someone who had played it before, and so established my second and third bases where they would be optimum (i.e one next to the southern oasis, and one at the eastern oasis): this then established an initial research rate of about 12 turns for the first tech. With the enhanced nutrients at the starting locations you should get a second pop in about 8 turns each, and your research rate should become more manageable shortly after that.

D

Comment

Have emailed you the save.

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Darsnan View Post
                          I don't think I can take credit for that one. I've seen 2 wild spore launchers go at it before (which is probably a bug come to think of it), however I've never seen a SL repeatedly bombard other NL. While I can't look at it right away, can you post a save so I can look at it when I get back?

BTW concerning the research rate: per the above comment are you experiencing an extremely long initial research rate?

D
                          I only have the save of when I took the screen shot. The HP of the spore launcher dropped and it stopped firing (it also never recovered it's HP even though it never made a move or attack afterwards), so I do not know if it will help you much. The spore launcher in the screen shot is north east of my territory (it is not visible on my map but I could see its actions between turns arount the area of tile 15,45) and it was firing on the fungal tower and the mind worm in that area.

I had no problems with research rates, until I hooked about 12 arti's up to nodes then traded with everyone to pick up techs I wanted that they had. After that it jumped to 44 turns. I switched to wealth and that knocked it back down to a somewhat acceptable level.

Here: I'll just attach the save. Oh crap- my evaluation period on WinZip ran out at midnight! Help!
                          I had the same problem with loading saves before I figured out I needed to restart the scenario and then load. My faction got scrambled to the Spartans and then the Usurpers before I figured it out.

As for your winzip problem give me your email address and I can help you out.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Russia4Life; April 10, 2009, 16:27.

Comment

It's in the other EotB thread, but I'm probably gonna delete it soon. I'll try to PM you.

No pasarán

Comment

Got a question about one of the council proposals(see image).

Was this something to be taken out that you forgot? Or, do you actually want us to test it? I brought it up before the council and everyone voted nay if you're interested.

Note about previous problem... The spore launcher is still in the same spot, and still unhealed. It hasn't tried bombarding the fungal tower since either.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Russia4Life; April 10, 2009, 14:44. Reason: More info about previous problem

Comment

Working...
                              X