No announcement yet.

What Is Your Favorite Faction, And Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

morgan - the 4 limit base is bad, the -suport is worse. but +economy is it worth it ? you only need 3economy max, so unless you dont like the -moral from wealth, another faction is better
    Every point of economy above 2 increases base-square energy by 2, so there's definitely a point to running a higher eco than 3. Also, you get substantially improved trade income, if you're at peace/pact with your neighbors.
    Last edited by CEO Aaron; August 9, 2010, 15:41.

Comment

Welcome to Apolyton.
      Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Whilst I know these guys aren't the best faction, I like their ideology and I adore elite troops. Clearly, I'm talking about Sparta.

The ideology is basically survivalism...that humanity needs to be as robust as possible to survive.

Unlike modern society when we're dependent on others to such a great degree, I see Spartan society as more self-sufficient and individualistic. In my minds eye I'd see the Spartans living in smaller communities, being self-sufficient and armed to the teeth like those crazy cults and patriot groups in parts of the USA. The difference is Santiago is such a powerful leader she can hold together all these little groups and have them work together on some level.

I think if I was to tamper with this faction, I'd make them armed to the teeth, but have poor police values to represent their suspicion of leaving their homesteads unprotected. I'd obviously also look to improving other features. To properly implement would be difficult as I'd see them not adopting large cities. Cities are too vulnerable on supplies from outside and are an easy target, it seems counter to Spartan philosophy. I'd see them spread out across the land in highly defensible compounds, with their food produced locally, water purification and power also being independent of a larger net. It means should one part of the system be knocked out by attack or natural disaster the rest of the system remains unaffected. Maybe one day, I'll give it serious thought to modify them appropriately.

In SMAC, why do I love them? Well, obviously the ideology is appealing as are awesome troops...I adored Elite units as they move faster, so allowing more attacks and to strike from further out. I love not having to pay extra for my prototypes and I do like abit of early conquest to avoid being hemmed in by some nearby faction.

The only factions I don't like playing:

Hive - he is far more interesting as an opponent as the AI plays him reasonably well.
        Believers - probably as I feel a probing heavy game is just too effective. I do like the support bonus and the +25% base attack. But, it directs me towards conquest and then I miss alot of the game. Far better to have her as a crazy enemy.
        Last edited by kittenOFchaos; September 5, 2010, 10:23. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Working...
        X