No announcement yet.

Movementrate of sealurkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another note is you can't build them until you've researched "Centauri Psi" and they use psi combat. I'm leaning toward giving them the bonus but I want to be absolutely sure this wasn't intentional. Can anyone think of bonuses or abilities Mindworms/Isle of Deep/Sealurks all get that could support this was an oversight on part of ACX dev team?

Comment

See the manual quote in my post #4.

This is the entry from the alphax.txt.

#UNITS
      Isle of the Deep, Foil, Psi, Psi, 7, 8, 4, CentMed, -1, 00000000000000000000000000
      Sealurk, Foil, Psi, Psi, 6, 6, 0, CentPsi, 4, 00000000000000000001000000

The difference are the 7 (naval transport) vs. 6 (sea superiority), 8 (cost) versus 6 (cost), 4 (carry capacity) versus 0 (carry capacity), CentMed (prereq) vs. CentPsi (prereq), -1 (special icon) vs. 4 (special icon) and a submarine ability for the sealurk.

Since the manual specifies that sealurks are similar to Isles of the Deep and then enumerates the differences (can't carry other units, use submarine rules, increased combat effectiveness), I think the fact that the manual does not say that there is a difference in moving through fungus is determinative.
      Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Sealurks and spore launchers were obviously designed as native counterparts to basic units - submarines and artillery. From a story point of view both are symbiotic lifeforms to xenofungal lifecycle. It is both logical from a game and a story point of view.
        SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Something else I think supports that not giving Sealurks a fungus movement bonus was an oversight is that Sealurks gain the fungus healing bonus that all other native units get. I've already put together a patch that gives them the bonus. Nothing complicated, just an additional check after Isle of Deep.

@Maniac: Do you still think this was intentional? If so, I'd like to hear your reasoning.

Comment

Great work, scient! How can I get your patch?

Comment

I'll add you to list to be sent a copy for next update which will include fix to Sealurks movement.

Comment

Many thanks, scient. If you need my Email-address or somethink else, send me a pm, please.

Comment

Working...
                X