Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAX Hive Scenario: Monkey in the Middle

Can't we all just get along?

In MY2497, after many years of warfare across countless solar systems, a Pacifist Cabal came to power in the Galactic government. Preaching a mantra of peace and love, they espoused that no matter how different each Faction was, that all peoples and species could co-exist together in harmony. To that end they established a seed colony with very disparate peoples, and used this as their prototypical example of how all sentients could live together, and get along, in close proximity to one another. The Drone faction involved promised not to resent the Hive’s domineering ways, while the Cyborgs promised not to force silicon implants onto their neighbors. The Gaians and Cultists promised to reign in their Planet-first diatribes, and the Progenitors promised not to nerve gas everyone on sight. It was going to be one big group-hug lovefest….

Yeah, right - how long do you think that’s going to last?

Directions

1) In your alpha centauri/Scenarios subdirectory create a folder called "MitM", and download and unzip the attached files into it.
    2) Start up SMAX, then select "Scenario", "Play Scenario", and then go to the subdirectory "MitM" and choose the scenario. The game will automatically load up with the Hive.

Enjoy!

D
    Attached Files

Observations

This game was put together based on a suggestion by Lazerus, so if you don’t like it blame him.

This game doesn’t really belong in the same universe as the other scenarios I’ve been doing recently, as it is more of a hodge-podge of different ideas thrown together, than of a central theme. Also, whereas previously I was focusing on gameplay and balance, this game is more just for fun.

That being said this is my second cut at making an alphax.txt file specifically for an asteroid/ planetoid (i.e. >90% land, no air or water), with the intent of getting the AI to play better in this environment. The alphax.txt file for this game has been heavily modified, with some of the more notable modifications as follows:

The native lifeforms (such as mindworms and spore launchers) have been replaced by the “Sentinels” class of units. Sentinel units use a form of nannites as weapons, projecting the nannites at a target to literally disassemble it molecule by molecule. Because it takes a brave unit to stand steady in the face of being possibly torn apart molecule by molecule, then units with higher morale are more likely to survive nannite combat.

#RULES

- to simulate lighter gravity, road movement has been increased to 4 tiles.

- Base defense has been increased to 40%: since the AI is typically on the defensive, then this will assist the AI moreso. Crediting Gallagher with this one, who came up with this in his Harsh Planet mod back in 2001.

- defending in range of a friendly sensor has been increased to 30%: since the AI is typically on the defensive, then this will assist the AI.

#TERRAIN

- Farms and Forests require Centauri Empathy in order to be built.

- Solar Collectors require Industrial Base.

- Mines require Industrial Economy (I believe it was Maniac who first came up with this idea, in order to encourage the AIs to plant forests instead).

Fungus can be planted right away (note that for this scenario the factions have been modified to receive a 1/2/1 from fungus squares).

#RESOURCE INFO

- ocean squares have become “Detritus” squares, and give a -2/2/2. What is detritus? From the dictionary:

Detritus: [L. a wearing away] 1. Geol. Any loose material that results directly from rock disintegration; debris. 2. That which remains after disintegration or wearing away.

Thus it is a perfect description for the residue left over after nannites have disintegrated an object. From my perspective the Detritus would have the consistency of liquid mercury or oil, and thus would pool (like water) in low-lieing terrain. However because detritus consists of broken down particles of various objects, then the consistency and makeup would be that of a liquid mercury or oil in that it would be highly toxic for biologicals. Thus I am assigning a -2 nutrient value to these squares. In the same vein the detritus would probably be rich in minerals and energy sources, so a +2 for each makes sense from my perspective.

- Monoliths give a 3/2/2. Still playing around with this one.

- Boreholes now give -2 nutrients to simulate the poisonous environment your forcing your people to work in.

- Xenoflora squares now give one extra energy with the discovery of Centauri Meditation

#WORLDBUILDER

- the worldbuilder has been heavily modified to give maps that are greater than 90% land. When setting up a world choose the following options:
    - 30 to 50% ocean
    - Mild erosion

#CHASSIS

- this is an airless world with minimal water. As such there are no aircraft, choppers, and only a couple of naval based chassis.

- the missile chassis available with Doc:AP.

- Gravships move 5 squares, and are now available with Monopole Magnets.

#UNITS

- Several gravship and hovertank designs: these are very good units in a heavy fungus environment!

- the crawler unit has been removed from the #UNITS section. This means that you will now have to prototype your first crawler.

- note that the Datalinks have been updated for the base units in this scenario, so you may review the datalinks for each unit if you wish.

- during several playtests I saw some AIs build land transports.

#FACILITIES

- Weather Paradigm moved to Centauri Empathy.

- Empath Guild: moved to Eudomania.

- Cloudbase Academy: moved to Monopole Magnets. Because of the CBA's worth (i.e. free aerospace complex in each city), then this, along with the gravship chassis at monopole magnets, now makes for an interesting choice: does the player beeline for MMI and choppers, or does the player now beeline for Monopole Magnets and gravships?

- Virtual World has been moved to Social Psychology: this is an attempt on my part to water down the techs involved in the traditional beeline for Ind Auto.

- all naval based facilities have been removed from the game: the AI would build them otherwise.

Factions

- all factions have been modified to utilize xenoflora squares: the AI’s start out with a 1/2/1 for xenoflora, while the human faction starts out as a 0/2/1.

- All AI factions have been modified to prevent them from running FM. Simply put, it would be suicide for the AIs to do this in this environment. Sadly, they try anyways….

- the Progs get free nerve gas with the discover of High Energy Chemistry.

Comment

Argh how didn't I spot this !?

Getting a new PC very soon with vista and about a good half dozen games that have been released since the year 2001 but I'll make sure to give it a shot over the hols.
      Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by Darsnan
        Observations

This game was put together based on a suggestion by Lazerus, so if you don’t like it blame him.

There's bound to be atleast one player as masochistic as me
        Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Working...
        X