Fixing SMACX Bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Petek View Post
    This isn't a bug, but rather a question on how the game works. It's been alleged that each time a monolith is used to upgrade (but not heal) a unit, there's a 1-in-32 chance that the monolith will vanish. However, no one has ever cited an authoritative source for this fact. Can you confirm this bit of "folk wisdom"? Or perhaps reveal the true behavior? Not a priority.

Petek
    As far as I can tell, never. It does generate a random value from 0-31 (32) and then further down checks if it is 0, so 1/32 chance. However, in between generating the random value and checking it, it gets set to 1 by another check effectively disabling it. This other check looks like it will always happen but I could easily be wrong. Do monoliths disappear in a normal game? If not, this could be why.

Originally posted by GooglyBoogly View Post
    This thread is meant to be highlighting a single, interfact bug which is discudded about 1/2 way down - however there are other bugs mentioned too.
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=245655
    Also, I've found a solution to this which lets me disable all the buttons in parent window when a child is open (in this case the hurry production pop-up). There is code inside production queue which goes through and disables all the buttons then enables them. In the process, it seems to break it for child pop-ups. I could emulate how production queue does it for all the pertinent sections of city UI however I'm going to see if I can figure out why production queue breaks the other stuff first. This isn't really on top of priority list since it's mainly exploit rather than game breaking bug. Tho I will fix it before a public release.

Comment

• Originally posted by scient View Post
      As far as I can tell, never. It does generate a random value from 0-31 (32) and then further down checks if it is 0, so 1/32 chance. However, in between generating the random value and checking it, it gets set to 1 by another check effectively disabling it. This other check looks like it will always happen but I could easily be wrong. Do monoliths disappear in a normal game? If not, this could be why.
      Yes, monoliths definitely will disappear in a normal game. I have it happen all the time. Also happens to the AI.

Petek
      "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
      -- Kosh

Comment

Yes, monoliths definitely will disappear in a normal game. I have it happen all the time. Also happens to the AI.

Petek
        Ok, well there must be some other conditions then just random 1/32 chance. I'll stick it on list of things to look into more at some point.

Comment

• Originally posted by scient View Post
          Is the issue reported here with cities killing the rest of certain units turns universally accepted as a bug? I found the check that is causing it and can disable it. I still have to analyze function to make sure changes are "safe" to do, prob on Friday.
          I would say that yes, this is a bug, as there should be no reason that choppers or missiles should lose their remaining movement points if they enter a city.

Anyways, have you given any thought yet as to what you are going to do with this upgraded Terran(x)? Do you plan on doing an initial limited release to verify the fixes work on different platforms/ OS's, or just make it available to anyone who asks?

D

Comment

• scient,

Could you look at my post, #70 above?

I'm more concerned about the fact that the human genome project (which produces an extra talent) did not make any difference between the facilities line and the secret project line.
            Attached Files
            Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

• vyeh, that HGP effect is common. It can happen whenever there is a "superdrone" being quelled to a worker by a facility or police. Sometimes the HGP tries to upgrade that superdrone to a normal drone even though a facility has already quelled that drone. However, it is not consistent and doesn't always happen that way.

Comment

• T-hawk,

The fact that the HGP effect is common means it is a repeatable bug, which scient needs.

The fact that it is not consistent and doesn't always happen that way is another good reason to fix it.

scient,

I also pointed to the eco-damage exploit and the children's creche and morale in a text attachment.

The children's creche and morale is a serious one and I think is due to a sign error in the code (and thus easy to fix once it is located).
                Attached Files

Comment

• There is this very rare but really bug :

I've experienced it 1-2 times in eight years, so it's not a critical bug - though, it's really a downer when you are merrily building your empire with lots of SP's, infrastructure and an unbeatable army, and suddently are reduced to a couple of CP's and scout units.

Unfortunatedly, I have no saves - just the painful memories.
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Originally posted by Darsnan View Post
                    I would say that yes, this is a bug, as there should be no reason that choppers or missiles should lose their remaining movement points if they enter a city.

Anyways, have you given any thought yet as to what you are going to do with this upgraded Terran(x)? Do you plan on doing an initial limited release to verify the fixes work on different platforms/ OS's, or just make it available to anyone who asks?
                    Ok, I'll look into it. I think it should be fairly easy to sort.

As for fixed exe, I've sent it to a couple people via PM for testing. So far, all fixes have held and no issues have been reported regarding my patches. I'm more than happy to send a copy over if person is long standing member on here. Currently, fixes are to windows ACX exe only. Before a public release I plan on porting them over to windows AC and see if it is possible to get mac version fixed as well. Check your PM.

Originally posted by vyeh View Post
                    Could you look at my post, #70 above?

I'm more concerned about the fact that the human genome project (which produces an extra talent) did not make any difference between the facilities line and the secret project line.
                    Ok, I'll look into it. I'll need to read up in AC manual about how UI and all that stuff works.

Originally posted by vyeh View Post
                    I also pointed to the eco-damage exploit and the children's creche and morale in a text attachment.

The children's creche and morale is a serious one and I think is due to a sign error in the code (and thus easy to fix once it is located).
                    Ah morale. It's used in a different context in Planescape but one of my major fixes was rewriting morale system from ground up. Yarg, it's back to haunt me.

If it's just a sign problem, you're right should be easy to sort like repair bay.

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                    There is this very rare but really bug :

I've experienced it 1-2 times in eight years, so it's not a critical bug - though, it's really a downer when you are merrily building your empire with lots of SP's, infrastructure and an unbeatable army, and suddenly are reduced to a couple of CP's and scout units.

Unfortunately, I have no saves - just the painful memories.
                    Well, if you ever run into it again or see someone who has make sure to get a saved game. If I can repeat it, I should be able to track down problem.

Comment

• One way to attempt to replicate the bug is to use the scenario editor to create a situation where a faction has been conquered, then probe the capturing faction HQ to release the captured leader. If you can get a situation in which the wrong faction is reduced to colony pods, that would be the error.

If you can track the code in which a captured faction is reinstated in the game, there may be a clue there. I would imagine it is a situation where a faction ID is misinterpreted.

Comment

• Originally posted by vyeh View Post
                        One way to attempt to replicate the bug is to use the scenario editor to create a situation where a faction has been conquered, then probe the capturing faction HQ to release the captured leader. If you can get a situation in which the wrong faction is reduced to colony pods, that would be the error.

If you can track the code in which a captured faction is reinstated in the game, there may be a clue there. I would imagine it is a situation where a faction ID is misinterpreted.
                        Well, I mentioned this specific bug in the hope that someone had a save of it - I don't think that it is easy to replicate the specific conditions in the scenario editor - if that was the case, it would be a way more common bug. IIRC I hadn't even meet any of the other factions when I was hit by it.
                        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                          Well, I mentioned this specific bug in the hope that someone had a save of it - I don't think that it is easy to replicate the specific conditions in the scenario editor - if that was the case, it would be a way more common bug. IIRC I hadn't even meet any of the other factions when I was hit by it.
                          I mentioned this same bug in post #54 of this thread and remarked that I didn't know of any save files regarding it. In nearly 10 years of play, I've personally encountered this bug exactly once.

Petek
                          -- Kosh

Comment

I mentioned this same bug in post #54 of this thread and remarked that I didn't know of any save files regarding it. In nearly 10 years of play, I've personally encountered this bug exactly once.

Petek

I should have seen that - my fault.

Edit: Since it's so rare as it obviosly is, I don't consider it a severe bug - maybe more like a "well, you think you are on top - here is a challenge for you" - something like Stalin being happy about his armies beating the germans and suddently only having a jeep and a couple of trucks with fertile womens.
                            Last edited by BlackCat; February 20, 2009, 20:33.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackCat View Post

I should have seen that - my fault.
                              No problem; I didn't mean to sound critical. There's bound to be some duplication in this thread.

Petek
                              -- Kosh

Comment

• I've noticed it from time to time - sometimes when researching a tech that should give an extra tech, nothing happens. Yeah, message about burst etc, but no new tech. In the save an AA is moved to nearest colony with NN and gives Secrets of Alpha Centauri.

I know it's a bit tricky since it's the AA that gives it randomly.

Edit : for some reason the sav file wasn't considered valid - so I try one more time.
                                Attached Files

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                                X