What I wouldn't pay...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I wouldn't pay...

For a SMAC 2 game that included modern graphics, forward compatibility and better customization options. I know it's a wish often posted to these boards, but I'm finding the state of strategy gaming seriously lacking these days. It's all MMOs and console shooter games these days. Nobody wants to actually stop and think.

Look at me, I'm turning into an elderly crank, right before your eyes!

$70?

$70? Isn't that the price for Spore?
    Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Is it really that awesome? Honestly, I've never been particularly enamored of the Maxis' style of game, it tends to be too cute by half, and I am leery of any title released for consoles as a rule. Yet more evidence of my ancient cumudgeonhood.

I checked Spore's rating on gamespot, and while that venue of review isn't without its dubiousness, ratings tend to vault too high rather than too low, so an 8 is also unencouraging.

Comment

$80 is for the "Galactic Edition." The regular version is $50.
        Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Originally posted by CEO Aaron
          Is it really that awesome?
          No. Currently the game as-is is very shallow and really can't pass as a strategy game at all. My 13 y/o got bored playing the space phase after a few hours, and the Civ phase isn't that much better.

Currently I am enjoying the Creature phase because I like wandering around and discovering what the people on my buddy list have dreamed up in the way of creations, as well as exploring the various terrains that can be encountered. A strategy game this does not make, though, and I find myself returning to SMAC for my weekly TBS fix.

Originally posted by CEO Aaron
          ... a SMAC 2 game that included modern graphics, forward compatibility and better customization options. I know it's a wish often posted to these boards, but I'm finding the state of strategy gaming seriously lacking these days.
          Yes, that would be extremely nice. Note that Soren is now at Maxis: who knows, maybe he'll flesh out the Civ phase of Spore with a tech tree and units (and all you'll have to do is pay another $40US for the XP - something you Morganites can appreciate!).
          And the Unit Creator widget is already a good approximation of what the Design Workshop could be, as you can take various rated weapons and armor and put them onto different chassis, resize and repaint them as desired, giving you an almost infinate number of units that can be produced in a game of this nature.

Anyways, I digress. To get back to your first question regarding whether Spore would be a good purchase or not. The best answer was given in an online review: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Comment

I'm afraid you'll probably be stuck with me for a modern SMAC-inspired game.
            Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
            Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
              I'm afraid you'll probably be stuck with me for a modern SMAC-inspired game.
              Everytime I pop into the Planetfall thread I see people posting encouragement that your team continue the project, so there is obviously continued interest and desire in Planetfall, and more broadly, in a good planetary sci-fi based TBS (such as what SMAC2 would be).
              So just out of curiosity, where is the Planetfall project at these days? Is it nearing completion?

D

Comment

I second the interest in Planetfall!
                "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Darsnan
                  Everytime I pop into the Planetfall thread
                  Just for the record, in case you're talking about the Apolyton thread, though I would of course prefer people to post here , most activity is on CFC, where there's a public forum, a main thread and a private forum.

So just out of curiosity, where is the Planetfall project at these days? Is it nearing completion?
                  Well, those total conversion projects always take long. Eg FfH was started basically right after the release of Civ4 and is still going on. Planetfall first public release was less than a year ago. No end in sight right now. But it's already rather playable.
                  Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                  Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Wow, first I heard of this, Ill have to check this out.
                    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

SMAX is *still* on my hard drive, and holds the record of game with the greatest longevity on any system I own. After all this time, she's still my favorite. I second the initial post....what I wouldn't pay....

-=Vel=-
                      The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Oh, I checked out reviews of Spore, and was discouraged sufficiently to make me reticent to purchase.

Actually, knowing the creator, I'm not surprised to discover it has weak strategy chops, since this is the guy who delivered the Sims. His games tend not to encourage strategy so much as a formulaic sandbox in which to indulge your God complex.

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx
                          SMAX is *still* on my hard drive, and holds the record of game with the greatest longevity on any system I own. After all this time, she's still my favorite. I second the initial post....what I wouldn't pay....

-=Vel=-
                          SMAX is the only game that has been on all my computers since getting it way back in the day. It is usually the first game that is installed on a new one. My 10 year old plays it every so often. I may be inspired to fire it up again tonight. Then again, I fear the length of time I will spend on it I do have to work in the morning.
                          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

If you are going to fire it up, would you mind trying out my datalinks update (see sig) - It doesn't change any gameplay elements, just the datalinks documentation. I am especially interested in adding/modiying entries for returning players so they can get back into the game faster.
                            (Edit: spelling)
                            Last edited by GooglyBoogly; October 17, 2008, 17:00.
                            Into Alien Crossfire? It has been almost 10 years. Time to update your datalinks.
                            Try out my Comprehensive Datalinks Update. Now v1.3!

Comment

Working...
                            X