Sid Meier answers question about Alpha Centauri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sid Meier answers question about Alpha Centauri

Dan Q was kind enough to include my question to Sid Meier in the 50th Polycast episode.

The question and answer occurred from 23:00 to 23:44 of the 44:59 podcast.

Question: What were your goals in designing Alpha Centauri?

Sid Meier: Well, Alpha Centauri really was a Brian Reynolds design.

The concept was to take a lot of the ideas that worked well in Civilization and place them in a Science Fiction setting.

And I think that allowed Brian to really introduce some new ideas that were a lot of fun.

It was an experiment to see where the basic Civ ideas could go and how it would work in a different setting.

People really enjoyed that game. We still hear about people who would like to see another Alpha Centauri.

So I think in a lot of way it was a success. It kind of allowed us to stretch Civ in some new and interesting ways while keeping, hopefully, the one more turn going.
    Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Re: Sid Meier answers question about Alpha Centauri

Originally posted by vyeh

People really enjoy that game. We still hear about people who would like to see another Alpha Centauri.
    Fixed and start working, dammit !!!
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I am unable to restrain my mischievous self from adding this section which follows immediately Mr Meier's last comment as posted by vyeh:

Mr Meier: ... the one more turn going.

Makahlua: I could use a few more "one more turns" of Alpha Centauri very much. [general giggling]

Mr Meier: All right.

DanQ: Question 13 ...

(Podcast #50 ca 23.35 - 23.45)

Comment

I have made this thread a sticky for the immediate future to improve its visibility.
        PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
        >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

The stickying served its purpose, I've found it.
          He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by DanQ
            I have made this thread a sticky for the immediate future to improve its visibility.
            And I started this thread to improve the visibility of the polycast to the AC community!

I did make a comment about Sid's comments on AC in the polycast discussion thread.
            Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

After listening Sid, i really don't think that he will make a SMAC2.
              alphacentauri2.info * Alpha Centauri players group * IRC channel #smac

Comment

Respect to Sid Meier.

How massively said, eh?! Non the less, this deserves a respect!

As Morganic player i tell you this: respect to Sid Meier. Im not a greatest fan of Sid's games, actualy never played them as they seem childish simple for me. But saying what he have said made me retain my respect to him as to the weighted gamemaster. Mr. Meier didnt pretend - this _wotrh_ something. He didnt lie that he made this game and fully considered its sucsess. That _is_ royal. Not less, if you have any idea what is gaming industry and in any age, you will get it right - its not easy.

Now. If you dont understand what he says youll drop ur weight in my eyes, my felow smac fans.

If only my english could be better i'd sayed all these more clear perhaps.

He doesnt made this game. And he, i think, tryed 2 made it clear for you, my smac 2 cryers: ideas was Reynolds.

Do you expect Sid Meier will work on something that he cant make as good? (considering smac so close to ideal)

Had read his words - i made it clear for myself - no. Meier will not run for someones ideas, he has hes own. And this is non-less bold. Thats what.
                --
                English is not my native language,
                so im sorry if i made any not intertaining mistakes. :)

Comment

Now that they did Civilizations IV: Colonization, will they do a Civilizations IV: Alpha Centauri?

Comment

Nope.
                    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Working...
                    X