Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAX Waterworld PK Scenario: UNWanted

UNWanted

BACKDROP: In MY 2433 several factions discovered the wreckage of a Progenitor interstellar spaceship on the farside of Nessus. After much investigation it was determined that the ships star charts were intact, and that the hyperdrive engine could be cloned.
    By MY 2452 the first fleet of scoutships had been built and sent out with a mandate to investigate all of the habitable planets catalogued in the ancient Progenitor ships star charts. The results were mixed: some scoutships returned with exciting news of “Eden-class” planets, while other scouts return with tales of planets who have degraded over the eons. Still other scouts failed to return at all…
    By MY2475 the "Diaspora of Man" had begun in earnest, with interstellar colony ships being sent out to the far reaches of the Milky Way as fast as they could be built.
    Some of the solar systems which were settled revealed relics from civilizations which predated even the Progenitors, to include an array of stargates which augmented interstellar travel to several branches of the galaxy. One such stargate lay in the Premius star system: located approximately three AU from its primary, it was made of an unknown composite material which gave the stargate a reddish tinge. Coupled with its oblique angle to the local star and the odd protrusions that covered its surface and cast intermittent long dark shadows across its otherwise reddish surface, the stargate had picked up the nickname of the Roulette Wheel.
    There was another, more ominous reason the stargate had picked up this nickname: once every so often (current calculations put it at approximately 0.000001%) the stargate misfired, and any spacecraft involved were lost forever.
    One such event has just occurred: a UN Resettlement transport full of refugee factions has just disappeared from the stargate without a trace. Some people wondered if the spaceship had been delivered to an unknown stargate somewhere else in the galaxy. Still others thought the ancient civilization which built the gates was still somewhere out in the galaxy, and every now and again they retuned this gate to deliver to them a sampling of the races which were currently using the gate system. The technicians who manned the Roulette Wheel had developed their own system for dealing with these “events”: the resettlement ship had simply landed on the Roulette Wheel’s unlucky 13. They marked it down as such in their logs, and moved on with preparing the next spaceship for transit….

The UN Resettlement ship New Hope had emerged from the unknown stargate and now hung above an alien, previously unknown world. The world itself was approximately 80% water, and at some time in the past an asteroid had broken up and slammed sideways into the planet, completely obliterating any landmasses that had existed in the equatorial region. Worse, it appeared that a piece of the same asteroid had impacted the stargate, as the alien monolith had obviously sustained significant damage to its exterior.
    After much debate amongst the Faction leaders the choices were narrowed down to either trying their luck through the damaged stargate, or proceed down to the planet surface and wait for rescue. Both choices had their drawbacks: if they tried transitting the stargate they might end up back at their starting point in the Premius star system, or they might end up somewhere else in the galaxy, even more remote than where they were now. If they stayed and waited for rescue they would undoubtedly have to migrate to the planet below, as the New Hope was not provisioned for an extended duration. Worse, the peoples on board were not settlers: they were peoples plucked from planets who no longer wanted them, unwanted refugees being resettled (some forcibly) to new locales where it was hoped they could start anew. These downtrodden peoples were not prepared for the rigors and hardships of attempting to establish new colonies on an unknown alien world.
    After conferring with the refuge Faction Leaders, Captain Jarretta agreed that the best option was to take the gamble of attempting to transit the stargate again, in the hope that it would deliver them either back to their original starting point in the Premius system, or to another known stargate. And if they ended up elsewhere, they could always make the transition again until they ended up somewhere more hospitable.
    Jarretta lined the New Hope up with the stargate, and slowly entered the outskirts of the gate’s energy nexus. However as the spaceship entered the gate proper, huge energy plumes lashed out from the gate itself, raking across the bow of the New Hope, and shorting out a majority of the ship’s power systems. The spaceship, now powerless, began to drift off course, slowly heading for the side of the looming stargate. Jarretta checked the status of the New Hope’s engines, and realized the engines would not be back online in time to save the spaceship from colliding with the stargate. Realizing his spaceship was lost, he gave the command to abandon ship.
    As the escape pods began to depart for the planet surface below Jarretta wondered what would happen to these peoples: forcibly evicted from their original homeworlds, lost in transit via a malfunctioning stargate, and now marooned on an uncharted alien world, it was as if the Universe itself had turned its back on them. They were the ultimate unwanteds – throw away peoples whom nobody would miss or bother looking for. As Jarretta braced for the fatal impact he wished them well…..

Directions

1) In your Scenarios subdirectory create a folder called "UNW", and download and unzip the attached files into it.
    2) Start up SMAX, then select "Scenario", "Play Scenario", and then go to the subdirectory "UNW" and choose the scenario “UNWanted”. The game will automatically load up with the PKs.

Enjoy!

D
    Attached Files

Observations

This is my first cut at making an alphax.txt file specifically for a waterworld (i.e. >80% water), with the intent of getting the AI to play better in this environment. The alphax.txt file for this game has been heavily modified, with some of the more notable modifications as follows:

#RULES

- Base defense has been increased to 40%: since the AI is typically on the defensive, then this will assist the AI moreso.

#TERRAIN

- Farms require Centauri Ecology in order to be built.

- Solar Collectors require Industrial Base.

- Mines require Industrial Economy (I believe it was Maniac who first came up with this idea, in order to encourage the AIs to plant forests instead).

- Forests only take 3 turns to plant.

#RESOURCE INFO

- ocean squares give a 1/1/1. Still experimenting with this one.

- Forest squares now give 2 nutrients: this encourages the AIs to practice the "Forest and Forget" strategy (which they do quite nicely! )

#WORLDBUILDER

- the worldbuilder section has been directly pulled from smacksim's worldbuilder mod: much better random maps IMO!

#CHASSIS

- Speeder chassis has been moved to New Missile tech: this is to prevent the AI from building buches of 1/1/2 units in their sea bases. Note there is an amphibious rover available with Nonlinear Mathematics, so you the human can reverse-engineer this to your hearts content. I also have to figure out now what to do with the Doc: Mobility tech, as it is now relatively denuded.

- Needlejet moves 6 squares

- Copter moves 6 squares

- Gravships move 5 squares, and are now available with Monopole Magnets.

#UNITS

- There are 45 units spread throughout the tech tree. Some of these I'm still experimenting with, while others have definately found their niche (you'll know which ones when you encounter them! ). The other reason for so many is that it pears back the number of poor designs the AI builds (although it still tries to screw the pooch on occasion with crap units). Some of the units are as follows:

- Infantry chassis Former which is immediately available and is cheapened to one row of minerals: the AI puts these to good use.

- Several gravship and hovertank designs: part of this is to act as a counter to the human's use of AC and choppers. The AI builds aircraft but doesn't handle them very well (although I have gotten to employ them slightly better in this scenario), however they do a better job with gravships and hovertanks.

- Aircraft carriers available with Doc: AP: I've also given them the ability to carry troops as well. Still experimenting with this one.

- Attack Transports: much more effective for the AIs than a troop transport!

- Submarines available with Superconductor.

#FACILITIES

- Robotic Assembly Plant is available with MMI.

- Nessus Mining Station available with Doc:Air: still can't get the AI to build orbitals effectively in this scenario, though....

- Empath Guild: moved to Eudomania

- Cloudbase Academy: moved to Monopole Magnets. Because of the CBA's worth (i.e. free aerospace complex in each city), then this, along with the gravship chassis at monopole magnets, now makes for an interesting choice: does the player beeline for MMI and choppers, or does the player now beeline for Monopole Magnets and gravships?

- Virtual World has been moved to Social Psychology: this is an attempt on my part to, um, "water down" the techs involved in the traditional beeline for Ind Auto.

The Map

- most factions (including the PKs) are starting out in archapeligos.

- Sea Monoliths

- Sea Ruins

- Sunken spaceship wreckage

- I half-sunk some craters to make it look like asteroid fragments slamming into the planet sideways: craters still give +2 minerals whether submerged or not.

- half submerged and fully submerged volcanoes: submerged volcanoes still give +2 minerals, and you get +2 energy as well (thermal vent effect?), however you cannot plant a kelp farm on the squares.

Factions

- no factions were aquatized for this scenario: this was more a study of the alphax.txt than of faction modification.

- only two factions were modified at all, and this modification consisted only of giving them impunity to Free Market.
    Last edited by Darsnan; June 12, 2008, 09:26.

Comment

I played a game of this earlier, had some wars with the Hive after being caught unprepared, then later a war with the Believers since they're never happy with their neighbors. In the end I didn't get wiped out(though it would have been only a matter of time). The Cybernetic Councious won the Supreme Leader vote, with them possessing an impressive 4712 votes. I'll give it another try later, but i've been away from SMAC for so long it'll probably end in another defeat. I had fun though, nice to have new scenarios to play for SMAC still after so long.
      "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

Working...
      X